Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Benji Fisher
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:47:40PM -0500, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

>    When I enter in UTF-8 characters into MacVIM (the latest version --
> 6.4.000 -- on the website) all I get are questions marks "?".  Is this a
> problem with MacVIM or is this a problem with the way MacOS X is
> handling fonts?  I can edit files with UTF-8 just fine with Vim under Linux.

     Have you tried

:set enc=utf-8

On my OS X system, it seems that $LANG is not set, so vim defaults to
latin1.  On my Linux box, $LANG is set, and so the 'encoding' option is
set automatically to utf-8.

:help 'encoding'

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Benji Fisher
On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 02:30:15PM -0500, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

>    Yes, I've actually got my .vimrc configured to set my encoding to
> utf-8 on both my Linux and my Mac.  So for example if I start Vim.app,
> and do
>
> :set enc
>
> it tells me
>
> encoding=utf-8
>
> If I then
>
> :e ~/testing.txt
>
> and try to enter in
>
> Ctrl-V u 0393 (capital Gamma) it just gives me a question mark in the
> editor.  If I save the file can do "cat testing.txt" in Terminal.app or
> iTerm.app I get a capital Gamma as expected.

     Yes, I can reproduce the problem.  If I leave 'tenc' at the default
value, I get a question mark; if I set it to utf-8, I get some odd
symbol.

     Depending on how often this bug bites you, I have two suggestions:

1. Try running vim in a Terminal.app window (without the GUI).  When I
try this, and set 'enc' to utf-8, it seems to work (very limited
testing).  The Gamma takes up two spaces; maybe this is not acceptable.

2. Try vim 7.0.  It is an alpha version, but the build I posted at
http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Downloading
has not given me any trouble yet.

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Geoffrey Alan Washburn
Benji Fisher wrote:
> 1. Try running vim in a Terminal.app window (without the GUI).  When I
> try this, and set 'enc' to utf-8, it seems to work (very limited
> testing).  The Gamma takes up two spaces; maybe this is not acceptable.

    I'll have to look into this further.

> 2. Try vim 7.0.  It is an alpha version, but the build I posted at
> http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Downloadingb <http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Downloading>

    I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly.  However, it
doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
"antialias" options.  Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
antialiasing?

[Geoff Washburn|[hidden email]|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]

Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Chris Allen
On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly.  However, it
> doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
> "antialias" options.  Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
> antialiasing?

You need to re-build without multibyte support if you want
antialiasing to work.  Antialiasing, along with underlining and
italics, does not currently work with GVim under OS X.

HTH,
Chris Allen

Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Geoffrey Alan Washburn
Chris Allen wrote:

> On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>     I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly.  However, it
>> doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
>> "antialias" options.  Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
>> antialiasing?
>>

> You need to re-build without multibyte support if you want
> antialiasing to work.  Antialiasing, along with underlining and
> italics, does not currently work with GVim under OS X.

    Rebuilding without multibyte support would presumably disable UTF-8
support?  That would sort of get me back where I started :-/

    I guess it would seem that under MacOS X running GTK gvim or vim in
a terminal is probably the best way to get the features I need.

[Geoff Washburn|[hidden email]|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]

Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Chris Allen
On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>      Rebuilding without multibyte support would presumably disable UTF-8
> support?  That would sort of get me back where I started :-/

Yeah.  It isn't quite as shiny as we generally expect Vim to be.  I
miss the underlining the most.

>      I guess it would seem that under MacOS X running GTK gvim or vim in a
> terminal is probably the best way to get the features I need.

I recommend the terminal, myself, although Terminal.app is not without
its quirks.

HTH,
Chris Allen

Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Jussi Hagman

Sorry for ignoring this thread earlier.. And another sorry if I
missed the point by hopping in in middle of conversation.

On 14.12.2005, at 16:33, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

> Chris Allen wrote:
>> On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>     I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly.  However, it
>>> doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
>>> "antialias" options.  Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
>>> antialiasing?

gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways regarding
the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is not called
stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with UTF-8 when
multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not recommend using
vim7 on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.

>> You need to re-build without multibyte support if you want
>> antialiasing to work.  Antialiasing, along with underlining and
>> italics, does not currently work with GVim under OS X.

They work fine on Vim6 (italics with a separate patch).

Greetings,
Jussi

--
Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113

Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Geoffrey Alan Washburn
Jussi Hagman wrote:
> gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways regarding
> the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is not called
> stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with UTF-8 when
> multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not recommend using vim7
> on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.
    Well, as my earlier posts on the matter mentioned, the version of
6.4 I tried doesn't actually handle UTF-8 correctly (question marks with
enc=utf-8 and garbage with tenc=utf-8), or is it just that the 6.4
binaries on macvim.org are not compiled with multibyte support?

[Geoff Washburn|[hidden email]|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]

Duplicate e-mails (Was: MacVIM and UTF-8)

Geoffrey Alan Washburn
    On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
people reply to me and the list?

On 14.12.2005, at 18:35, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

> Jussi Hagman wrote:
>> gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways
>> regarding the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is
>> not called stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with
>> UTF-8 when multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not
>> recommend using vim7 on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.
>    Well, as my earlier posts on the matter mentioned, the version
> of 6.4 I tried doesn't actually handle UTF-8 correctly (question
> marks with enc=utf-8 and garbage with tenc=utf-8), or is it just
> that the 6.4 binaries on macvim.org are not compiled with multibyte
> support?

I was in a hurry to get dinner and forgot completely to mention that
the support is of course quite limited (basically to latin-ish
characters I would guess) and that is the reason of the major re-
engineering that has been happening with the font rendering for vim 7.

So if you are trying to produce kanji, kana or something more exotic
you must go to graphical vim7 (which I don't recommend) or use vim
with a terminal as was suggested.

Greetings,
Jussi

--
Jussi Hagman, [hidden email], iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113

Re: Duplicate e-mails (Was: MacVIM and UTF-8)

Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg
Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
>    On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
> mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
> people reply to me and the list?

Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
need to filter on the receiving end.

Peppe
--
se nocp cpo=BceFsx!$ hid bs=2 ls=2 hls ic " P. Guldberg /bin/[hidden email]
se scs ai isf-== fdo-=block cino=t0,:0 hi=100 ru so=4 noea lz|if has('unix')
se sh=/bin/sh|en|syn on|filetype plugin indent on|ono S V/\n^-- $\\|\%$/<CR>
cno <C-A> <C-B>|au FileType vim,mail se sw=4 sts=4 et|let&tw=72+6*(&ft=~'v')

Re: Duplicate e-mails (Was: MacVIM and UTF-8)

Chris Devers
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg wrote:

> Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
> >    On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
> > mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
> > people reply to me and the list?
>
> Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
> need to filter on the receiving end.

Or *ahem* <flame-war> munge the list's reply-to header </flame-war> ...

--
Chris Devers

Ç#­n.ª“–“°J

Re: Duplicate e-mails (Was: MacVIM and UTF-8)

Geoffrey Alan Washburn
Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg wrote:

> Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
>
>>    On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
>> mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
>> people reply to me and the list?
>>

> Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
> need to filter on the receiving end.

    I'm pretty sure that there exists mailing list management software
that is smart enough to recognize when one of the recipients is already
in a "To" field.  At least all the mailman based listed I've used seem
to do this.

    Anyway, I'll take your answer as "no, our list software isn't very
smart."

--
[Geoff Washburn|[hidden email]|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]