Re: Managing plugins across multiple Vim versions

Re: Managing plugins across multiple Vim versions

Ben Fritz
On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 4:04:39 PM UTC-5, Gary Johnson wrote:

> I solved the problem by installing netrw in its own directory,
> ~/.vim/netrw, and then conditionally including that directory in my
> 'runtimepath' by putting this in my ~/.vimrc:
>
>     " The version of netrw installed locally needs vim 7.4.1557 or
>     " later:"
>     if v:version > 704 || (v:version == 704 && has("patch1557"))
>         let &rtp = $HOME."/.vim/netrw,".&rtp
>     endif
>
> In that way, recent versions of Vim see the latest netrw early in
> 'runtimepath' and use that version, while older versions of Vim use
> the version of netrw that was installed in their $VIMRUNTIME.

This seems like a good use case for the new :packadd command. :-)

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 3:34:58 PM UTC-5, Mike Ciul wrote:

> The main system I use at work is stuck with Vim 7.2. I asked IT to upgrade and they said "Why would we do that? It's just vi!"

Are you able to compile and run your own executables on that system? I had a similar situation at work where the most recent version they were willing to install was the version that came on the CD provided with the OS, which was 6.0.2 or something crazy old like that. I've since started maintaining my own build of Vim on a network share accessible from that server, which is currently on some 8.0 patchlevel.

Re: Managing plugins across multiple Vim versions

Gary Johnson-4
On 2017-04-20, Ben Fritz wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 4:04:39 PM UTC-5, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > I solved the problem by installing netrw in its own directory,
> > ~/.vim/netrw, and then conditionally including that directory in my
> > 'runtimepath' by putting this in my ~/.vimrc:
> >
> >     " The version of netrw installed locally needs vim 7.4.1557 or
> >     " later:"
> >     if v:version > 704 || (v:version == 704 && has("patch1557"))
> >         let &rtp = $HOME."/.vim/netrw,".&rtp
> >     endif
> >
> > In that way, recent versions of Vim see the latest netrw early in
> > 'runtimepath' and use that version, while older versions of Vim use
> > the version of netrw that was installed in their $VIMRUNTIME.
> >

> This seems like a good use case for the new :packadd command. :-)

Yeah, I know, but the pack directory structure is so ugly that
I haven't been able to bring myself to use it.

Regards
Gary