Re: Shouldn't plugins be report=0 friendly?

Re: Shouldn't plugins be report=0 friendly?

Charles E Campbell Jr
Quoting Bill McCarthy <[hidden email]>:

> Many plugins, such as the included netrw, may generate many
> lines of "1 more line" when run with report=0 - a fairly
> common setting for some of us.
>
> Instead of having to remember to change the setting before
> running these unfriendly plugins, it would be much nicer if
> those plugin writers would accommodate us by keeping things
> quiet.

There are at least 314 options, only some of which I'm familiar with,
and "report" wasn't one of them.  Folks should expect that if they change
default settings that not all plugins will happily coexist with them.
Especially obscure settings (I know; one man's obscure setting is another's
"fairly common setting!").  So I depend upon users to let me know when their
choice of settings causes trouble.

I've got a tentative workaround for the report setting; however, that version
of netrw will require vim v7.0 (it uses vim 7.0's autoload feature).

I'll send a copy your way.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Shouldn't plugins be report=0 friendly?

Bill McCarthy
On Wed 17-Aug-05 9:07am -0500, you wrote:

> Quoting Bill McCarthy <[hidden email]>:

>> Many plugins, such as the included netrw, may generate many
>> lines of "1 more line" when run with report=0 - a fairly
>> common setting for some of us.
>>
>> Instead of having to remember to change the setting before
>> running these unfriendly plugins, it would be much nicer if
>> those plugin writers would accommodate us by keeping things
>> quiet.

> There are at least 314 options, only some of which I'm familiar with,
> and "report" wasn't one of them.  Folks should expect that if they change
> default settings that not all plugins will happily coexist with them.
> Especially obscure settings (I know; one man's obscure setting is another's
> "fairly common setting!").  So I depend upon users to let me know when their
> choice of settings causes trouble.

Fair enough.  I certainly didn't mean to single out your
fantastic plugin - it is just the one everyone has.  I
mentioned it only as an example.

> I've got a tentative workaround for the report setting; however, that version
> of netrw will require vim v7.0 (it uses vim 7.0's autoload feature).
>
> I'll send a copy your way.

Installed it and diffed it with 7.0aa-131.  Other than a few
date and version changes, the only thing needed for my
vimfiles was autoload\netrw.vim.

Amazingly quick response.  And it works perfectly!

Bill