Re: Vim 8.2 is released!

Christian Brabandt

On Do, 12 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.2

Congratulations!

> Signed versions will appear soon at:
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases

For some reason, the automatic job failed today because of a download
timeout when trying to download the racket dependencies. I tried to
manually trigger a build, but that fails again every time.

I can download it locally fine, so not sure what problem Appveyor has.
Hopefully this is just a hickup, that goes away.

Best,
Christian
--
Das Gehirn ist ein Apparat zur Abwehr von Fakten.
                -- Erwin Pelzig

Re: Vim 8.2 is released!

Bram Moolenaar

Christian -

> On Do, 12 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.2
>
> Congratulations!
>
> > Signed versions will appear soon at:
> > https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/releases
>
> For some reason, the automatic job failed today because of a download
> timeout when trying to download the racket dependencies. I tried to
> manually trigger a build, but that fails again every time.
>
> I can download it locally fine, so not sure what problem Appveyor has.
> Hopefully this is just a hickup, that goes away.

So should I still hold off on adding patches?

Can you somehow make the automatic job run more often?

- Bram

264. You turn to the teletext page "surfing report" and are surprised that it
     is about sizes of waves and a weather forecast for seaside resorts.

Re: Vim 8.2 is released!

Christian Brabandt

On Fr, 13 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> So should I still hold off on adding patches?
>
> Can you somehow make the automatic job run more often?

No, I would say just keep on and don't let yourself hold off by the
failing build script. Since there are no changes, to the vim repository,
the ci build won't try to build new releases.

I hope the build will start soon again, (I just tried again, and it is
still failing). If it doesn't work by monday, I'll go ahead and disable
racket in the build)

Best,
Christian
--
Gott will, daß der Mensch seinen Spaß hat.
                -- Theresia von Avila

Re: Vim 8.2 is released!

Bram Moolenaar

Christian wrote:

> On Fr, 13 Dez 2019, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > So should I still hold off on adding patches?
> >
> > Can you somehow make the automatic job run more often?
>
> No, I would say just keep on and don't let yourself hold off by the
> failing build script. Since there are no changes, to the vim repository,
> the ci build won't try to build new releases.
>
> I hope the build will start soon again, (I just tried again, and it is
> still failing). If it doesn't work by monday, I'll go ahead and disable
> racket in the build)

Racket hasn't worked for me for quite a while.  Looks like the only way
is to get the sources and build that.  I don't think any users require
this interface.

265. Your reason for not staying in touch with family is that
     they do not have e-mail addresses.

Re: Vim 8.2 is released!

Igor Forca
On my Ubuntu 16.04 32-bit very old laptop I have downloaded the source code from GitHub and self-compiled.
When starting vim I see:
version 8.2.3
displayed in welcome screen.

Shouldn't there be:
version 8.2.0003
with leading zeros?

Re: Vim 8.2 is released!

Tony Mechelynck
On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 2:51 PM Igor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On my Ubuntu 16.04 32-bit very old laptop I have downloaded the source code from GitHub and self-compiled.
> When starting vim I see:
> version 8.2.3
> displayed in welcome screen.
>
> Shouldn't there be:
> version 8.2.0003
> with leading zeros?

No, on the :intro screen leading zeros are suppressed. The patchlevel
will get additional digits as it reaches higher powers of ten (i.e.,
two digits 10-99, three digits 100-999, etc.). I see the same on my
desktop where openSUSE Linux Leap 15.1 is installed and where I get
the Vim source's from Christian Brabandt's Mercurial mirror.
Similarly, in the :version output I see

VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2 (2019 Dec 12, compiled Dec 14 2019 14:44:49)
Included patches: 1-3
Compiled by [hidden email]
Big version with GTK2 GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

etc.

My last 8.1 build before 8.2 came out said "version 8.1.2424" in its
:intro screen, and AFAIK the routine which dsplays that screen hasn't
changed, it just uses different constants.