Re: better xterm mouse support

Andrew Pimlott-2-2
[Replying to old mail.]

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 06:48:10PM -0400, Joe Allen wrote:
> I've submitted a patch for xterm to xterm's maintainer Thomas Dickey.

While you're at it... :-)  I don't enable the mouse in vim, because
regular cut-n-paste functionality is much more valuable to me than using
it to control the cursor (and holding down shift is too much for my poor
brain to remembe).  But on the other hand, using the scroll wheel to
scroll in vim would be much more valuable to me than scrolling through
the xterm buffer.

I would absolutely love it if I could have the best of both: button 1-3
and motion events handled by xterm, but wheel (button 4-) events passed
to vim.  As I understand it, it is not possible to ask xterm for only
some of the buttons.  But if someone hacked this in, and hacked vim to
support it, he would have my gratitude.

Andrew

Re: better xterm mouse support

Gautam Iyer
On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 03:28:32PM -0700, Andrew Pimlott wrote:

> [Replying to old mail.]
>
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 06:48:10PM -0400, Joe Allen wrote:
> > I've submitted a patch for xterm to xterm's maintainer Thomas Dickey.
>
> While you're at it... :-)  I don't enable the mouse in vim, because
> regular cut-n-paste functionality is much more valuable to me than using
> it to control the cursor (and holding down shift is too much for my poor
> brain to remembe).  But on the other hand, using the scroll wheel to
> scroll in vim would be much more valuable to me than scrolling through
> the xterm buffer.
>
> I would absolutely love it if I could have the best of both: button 1-3
> and motion events handled by xterm, but wheel (button 4-) events passed
> to vim.  As I understand it, it is not possible to ask xterm for only
> some of the buttons.  But if someone hacked this in, and hacked vim to
> support it, he would have my gratitude.

I think (but I could be mistaken) mrxvt has this feature. I know it has
a feature to bind keys in the main screen only (so the bindings will not
work when running vim / less / mutt / etc). I'm not sure if that extends
to mouse buttons.

GI

--
'eieio' -- A gross misspelling of the word 'farm'.