Re: [faq] What systems does Vim run on

Christian Brabandt

Hi,
the vim faq available at http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html
currently mentions, that Vim runs on the following systems:

https://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq/blob/master/vim_faq.txt#L1363-L1367

,----
| 3.3. What platforms does it run on?
|
| All Unix platforms.
| All Windows platforms (XP and later).
| Amiga, Atari, BeOS, DOS, Macintosh, MachTen, OS/2, RiscOS, VMS, IBM z/OS.
`----

Is this still correct? I must confess I got lost about what systems Vim
still supports and which ones were dropped.

Thanks.

BTW: Answers as PRs are also appreciated :)

Best,
Christian

Re: [faq] What systems does Vim run on

Anton Shepelev
Christian Brabandt:

>the vim faq available at
>http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html
>currently  mentions, that Vim runs on the following
>systems:
>
>https://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq/blob/master/vim_faq.txt#L1363-L1367
>,----
>| 3.3. What platforms does it run on?
>|
>| All Unix platforms.
>| All Windows platforms (XP and later).
>| Amiga, Atari, BeOS, DOS, Macintosh, MachTen, OS/2, RiscOS, VMS, IBM z/OS.
>`----
>Is this still correct?

Unfortunately  not.   Vim  has  dropped  support  of
16-bit  MS-DOS  at version 7.1 and for 32-bit MS-DOS
at version 7.3. See
https://www.vim.org//download.php/#pc.

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

On Fr, 07 Sep 2018, Anton Shepelev wrote:

> Christian Brabandt:
>
> >the vim faq available at
> >http://vimhelp.appspot.com/vim_faq.txt.html
> >currently  mentions, that Vim runs on the following
> >systems:
> >
> >https://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq/blob/master/vim_faq.txt#L1363-L1367
> >,----
> >| 3.3. What platforms does it run on?
> >|
> >| All Unix platforms.
> >| All Windows platforms (XP and later).
> >| Amiga, Atari, BeOS, DOS, Macintosh, MachTen, OS/2, RiscOS, VMS, IBM z/OS.
> >`----
> >Is this still correct?
>
> Unfortunately  not.   Vim  has  dropped  support  of
> 16-bit  MS-DOS  at version 7.1 and for 32-bit MS-DOS
> at version 7.3. See
> https://www.vim.org//download.php/#pc.

Okay, removed the DOS. Thanks.

Best,
Christian
--
Das sind die wahren Wunder der Technik, daß sie das, wofür sie entschädigt
auch wirklich kaputt macht.

Re: [faq] What systems does Vim run on

Anton Shepelev
Christian Brabandt:

>>Vim  has  dropped support of 16-bit MS-DOS at ver-
>>sion 7.1 and for 32-bit MS-DOS at version 7.3. See
>>https://www.vim.org//download.php/#pc.
>
>Okay, removed the DOS. Thanks.

I think users of DOS would be grateful if  you  gave
more specific information, e.g.:

16-bit DOS: latest supported version 7.1
32-bit DOS: latest supported version 7.3

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

Re: [faq] What systems does Vim run on

arocker

>>Okay, removed the DOS. Thanks.
>
> I think users of DOS would be grateful if  you  gave
> more specific information, e.g.:
>
> 16-bit DOS: latest supported version 7.1
> 32-bit DOS: latest supported version 7.3

Given the fluctuating fortunes of OSs, perhaps a matrix of OS vs version
would be the best way to explain which works on what?

Re: [faq] What systems does Vim run on

Anton Shepelev
arocker:

>Given  the  fluctuating  fortunes of OSs, perhaps a
>matrix of OS vs version would be the  best  way  to
>explain which works on what?

May be, but I was aiming at a compromise between te-
dium and brevity: lists the OSes where  Vim  is  ac-
tively  supported,  and  then  all  ones where it no
longer it, indicating the latest version:

Support the for the following OSes has been  discon-
tinued,  but  you  can  use an old version of Vim on
them:

16-bit DOS: latest supported version 7.1
32-bit DOS: latest supported version 7.3

Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

Re: [faq] What systems does Vim run on

> >>Okay, removed the DOS. Thanks.
> >
> > I think users of DOS would be grateful if  you  gave
> > more specific information, e.g.:
> >
> > 16-bit DOS: latest supported version 7.1
> > 32-bit DOS: latest supported version 7.3
> >

> Given the fluctuating fortunes of OSs, perhaps a matrix of OS vs version
> would be the best way to explain which works on what?

Keep in mind that the last versions supporting 16-bit DOS did not work
very well, because they run out of memory very quickly.  Not sure how to
phrase this, and also not sure what is the last version that was
actually useful.  Perhaps someone can try it in an emulator.

9. As often as possible, skip rather than walk.