Re: guifont/guifontwide

Bram Moolenaar

Johnny Blaze wrote:

> As far as I can understand, if you are editing a file with a
> double-width character and the font defined by guifont doesn't support
> it, guifontwide kicks in and (hopefully) displays. Is there any way to
> expand guifontwide's use or add another option to use another font if
> the character isn't defined in the guifont?
>
> My hope is to find a unifont that contains glyphs for all unicode
> planes and use it as a backup so that I can stop seeing the "undef"
> symbol (kinda like []).
>
> Example unicode planes that not many fonts contain are Box Drawing and Block
> Symbols.

That backup font would have most characters, thus why not use it always?
I suppose you find the font ugly.

> set guifont=Andale_Mono:h12:cANSI
> set guifontwide=Some_Wide_Font:h12:cANSI
> set guifontbackup=Unifont_Mono:h12:cANSI?

Why not merge the two fonts?  Then you have one font that contains all
the characters.  Don't ask me how to do that, but I'm sure it is
possible.

--
From "know your smileys":
 :-E Has major dental problems

Re: guifont/guifontwide

Bram Moolenaar

Johnny Blaze wrote:

> > That backup font would have most characters, thus why not use it always?
> > I suppose you find the font ugly.
> >
> > > set guifont=Andale_Mono:h12:cANSI
> > > set guifontwide=Some_Wide_Font:h12:cANSI
> > > set guifontbackup=Unifont_Mono:h12:cANSI?
> >
> > Why not merge the two fonts? Then you have one font that contains all
> > the characters. Don't ask me how to do that, but I'm sure it is
> > possible.
>
> I've been searching for such a program for quite a while now... everyone I
> find is a professional ($500+) package to create fonts. You can apply
> your question to the existence of guifontwide... why not use the
> guifontwide font as your main font? Why don't you just merge them?

If you would merge guifont and guifontwide you end up with a font that
is not fixed width.

--
From "know your smileys":
 C=}>;*{)) Drunk, devilish chef with a toupee in an updraft,