Re-using old bring lists

Steve Litt
Hi all,

As I preparing for tomorrow's GoLUG Installfest by using an old installfest
bring list, it occurs to me that what would be really nice is a way to either
remove all []% or at least set them to zero, so that it could be used from
scratch. Is there such a thing? If not perhaps I could make one.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org

Re: Re-using old bring lists

Noel Henson
On Friday 15 July 2005 12:46 pm, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As I preparing for tomorrow's GoLUG Installfest by using an old
> installfest bring list, it occurs to me that what would be really nice
> is a way to either remove all []% or at least set them to zero, so that
> it could be used from scratch. Is there such a thing? If not perhaps I
> could make one.
>
> Thanks
>
> SteveT

:%s/\[.\].*%/[_] %/

If you have some items without %s, you'll also need:

:%s/\[.\]/[_]/

Noel

Re: Re-using old bring lists

Noel Henson
On Friday 15 July 2005 12:46 pm, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As I preparing for tomorrow's GoLUG Installfest by using an old
> installfest bring list, it occurs to me that what would be really nice
> is a way to either remove all []% or at least set them to zero, so that
> it could be used from scratch. Is there such a thing? If not perhaps I
> could make one.

Everyone,

Should a command be added to reset all the checkboxes?

Noel

Re: Re-using old bring lists

Steve Litt
On Friday 15 July 2005 04:12 pm, Noel Henson wrote:

> On Friday 15 July 2005 12:46 pm, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As I preparing for tomorrow's GoLUG Installfest by using an old
> > installfest bring list, it occurs to me that what would be really nice
> > is a way to either remove all []% or at least set them to zero, so that
> > it could be used from scratch. Is there such a thing? If not perhaps I
> > could make one.
>
> Everyone,
>
> Should a command be added to reset all the checkboxes?
>
> Noel

Two commands

One resets them all to unchecked, the other deletes them.

You see, if you reuse a bring list, some days you'll not bring certain items,
so those items shouldn't have checkboxes, but should be kept for future days
when they will be used.

These commands are used relatively rarely, so I don't think they should
consume comma comma commands. I think perhaps we should enable a new set of
commands that are harder/more time consuming to invoke, but very numerous.

SteveT

--
Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org

Re: Re-using old bring lists

Ben Armstrong
On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 18:45 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
These commands are used relatively rarely, so I don't think they should
consume comma comma commands. I think perhaps we should enable a new set of
commands that are harder/more time consuming to invoke, but very numerous.
Perhaps ,,x (eXtended, eXtra)?

Have this bring up the command-line with the prefix of all such commands displayed.  The user may tab-complete to see them all, or just type the rest of the command.  Rationale: if they are rarely used, who will memorize the keystrokes?  Better to just leave them as descriptive command names:

vo_extended_...

Or if this breaks some fundamental design principle, then ,,x followed by some letter to do the extended command and ,,X to use the command-line tab-completion approach.

Ben