Re: vim71: netrw-P does not work, :Explore spits out error

Re: vim71: netrw-P does not work, :Explore spits out error

Irwan Djajadi

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Irwan Djajadi wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to report problems with Vim explorer / netrw problems in VIM
>> 7.1. I could not reproduce this in VIM 7.0.
>>
>> Problem description:
>> - netrw-P, browse to previous window stops working. When I use it,
>> here's the error it spits out:
>> "Error detected while processing function
>> <SNR>25_NetPrevWinOpen..<SNR>25_NetBrowseChgDir:
>> line 5:
>> (NetBrowseChgDir) b:netrw_curdir doesn't exist!"
>> After pressing enter, it doesn't do anything.
>>
>> - Another problem with netrw: ":Explore" spits out an error, but it
>> works afterward. Here's the error:
>> "Error detected while processing function netrw#Explore:
>> line 98:
>> E65: Illegal back reference"
>>
>> Does anyone else have this problem? or is it just me?
>>
>> Here's my vim71 configuration:
>>
>> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 12 2007 14:17:41)
>> MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version
>> Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
>> Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
>>
> [...]
>
> This is 7.1.000. Does it work with Steve Hall's latest Vim build for Windows?
>
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
>
> Does it work with
>
> gvim -N -u NONE
>
> ?
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion..
"gvim -N -u NONE" doesn't work well, since I can't even get the
directory listing. After sourcing netrw scripts manually, I got the same
buggy behavior.

I tried the latest gvim build, and it behaves somewhat better.. but it's
a little peculiar:

- if I start netrw using "gvim ." or ":e ." in gvim, then netrw-P
problem is completely fixed. I'm a happy camper currently.

- HOWEVER, if I start netrw, using ":Explore" in gvim, it spits out this
following error:
"Error detected while processing function netrw#Explore:
line   98:
E65: Illegal back reference"
After that, the directory listing would be up, and I can use "v" or "o"
to open a file on a split window..
BUT the peculiar thing is that if I then switch back to the netrw
window, all the files are gone from the view, the only thing left are
"../" and "./"..
Bizarre !!

Oh well.. I usually starts netrw using ":e ." which is completely fixed
now, so I'm happy right now.
It'll be good though to fix the other problem as well.

Thanks guys
--
Irwan

Re: vim71: netrw-P does not work, :Explore spits out error

Tony Mechelynck

Irwan Djajadi wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> Irwan Djajadi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'd like to report problems with Vim explorer / netrw problems in VIM
>>> 7.1. I could not reproduce this in VIM 7.0.
>>>
>>> Problem description:
>>> - netrw-P, browse to previous window stops working. When I use it,
>>> here's the error it spits out:
>>> "Error detected while processing function
>>> <SNR>25_NetPrevWinOpen..<SNR>25_NetBrowseChgDir:
>>> line 5:
>>> (NetBrowseChgDir) b:netrw_curdir doesn't exist!"
>>> After pressing enter, it doesn't do anything.
>>>
>>> - Another problem with netrw: ":Explore" spits out an error, but it
>>> works afterward. Here's the error:
>>> "Error detected while processing function netrw#Explore:
>>> line 98:
>>> E65: Illegal back reference"
>>>
>>> Does anyone else have this problem? or is it just me?
>>>
>>> Here's my vim71 configuration:
>>>
>>> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 12 2007 14:17:41)
>>> MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version
>>> Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
>>> Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> This is 7.1.000. Does it work with Steve Hall's latest Vim build for Windows?
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
>>
>> Does it work with
>>
>> gvim -N -u NONE
>>
>> ?
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>>

> Hi Tony,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion..
> "gvim -N -u NONE" doesn't work well, since I can't even get the
> directory listing. After sourcing netrw scripts manually, I got the same
> buggy behavior.
>
> I tried the latest gvim build, and it behaves somewhat better.. but it's
> a little peculiar:
>
> - if I start netrw using "gvim ." or ":e ." in gvim, then netrw-P
> problem is completely fixed. I'm a happy camper currently.
>
> - HOWEVER, if I start netrw, using ":Explore" in gvim, it spits out this
> following error:
> "Error detected while processing function netrw#Explore:
> line   98:
> E65: Illegal back reference"
> After that, the directory listing would be up, and I can use "v" or "o"
> to open a file on a split window..
> BUT the peculiar thing is that if I then switch back to the netrw
> window, all the files are gone from the view, the only thing left are
> "../" and "./"..
> Bizarre !!
>
> Oh well.. I usually starts netrw using ":e ." which is completely fixed
> now, so I'm happy right now.
> It'll be good though to fix the other problem as well.
>
> Thanks guys
> --
> Irwan

Hm... Which version of the netrw pugin are you using? I have the following:
(dates according to the _text_ of the plugins, not their directory entries):

$VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrw.vim version 110 dated Jun 21, 2007
$VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim dated Jan 05, 2007
$VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrw.vim version 110k dated Jun 20, 2007
$VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim version 9 dated May 30, 2006
$VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwSettings.vim version 11 dated Jun 04, 2007

Anything earlier is obsolete. If you have an earlier version, you may want to
update your runtime files from ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/

Gerrold's Laws of Infernal Dynamics:
        (1) An object in motion will always be headed in the wrong
            direction.
        (2) An object at rest will always be in the wrong place.
        (3) The energy required to change either one of these states
            will always be more than you wish to expend, but never so
            much as to make the task totally impossible.

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> Irwan Djajadi wrote:
>
>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> This is 7.1.000. Does it work with Steve Hall's latest Vim build for Windows?
>>>
>>> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
>>>
>>> Does it work with
>>>
>>> gvim -N -u NONE
>>>
>>> ?
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Tony.
>>>

>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion..
>> "gvim -N -u NONE" doesn't work well, since I can't even get the
>> directory listing. After sourcing netrw scripts manually, I got the same
>> buggy behavior.
>>
>> I tried the latest gvim build, and it behaves somewhat better.. but it's
>> a little peculiar:
>>
>> - if I start netrw using "gvim ." or ":e ." in gvim, then netrw-P
>> problem is completely fixed. I'm a happy camper currently.
>>
>> - HOWEVER, if I start netrw, using ":Explore" in gvim, it spits out this
>> following error:
>> "Error detected while processing function netrw#Explore:
>> line   98:
>> E65: Illegal back reference"
>> After that, the directory listing would be up, and I can use "v" or "o"
>> to open a file on a split window..
>> BUT the peculiar thing is that if I then switch back to the netrw
>> window, all the files are gone from the view, the only thing left are
>> "../" and "./"..
>> Bizarre !!
>>
>> Oh well.. I usually starts netrw using ":e ." which is completely fixed
>> now, so I'm happy right now.
>> It'll be good though to fix the other problem as well.
>>
>> Thanks guys
>> --
>> Irwan
>>

> Hm... Which version of the netrw pugin are you using? I have the following:
> (dates according to the _text_ of the plugins, not their directory entries):
>
> $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrw.vim version 110 dated Jun 21, 2007
> $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim dated Jan 05, 2007
> $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrw.vim version 110k dated Jun 20, 2007
> $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim version 9 dated May 30, 2006
> $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwSettings.vim version 11 dated Jun 04, 2007
>
> Anything earlier is obsolete. If you have an earlier version, you may want to
> update your runtime files from ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Yup, those are the netrw files that I have installed.
Thanks!
--
Irwan