Reload in Windows gvim rarely works

Ritmo2k
For as long as I can remember, when gvim detects a file has changed and prompts to reload, the file is reloaded with some quantity of the initial contents replaced with a the letter "g" and a back tick? A google search didn't reveal anything.

Anyone know of a solution?

Re: Reload in Windows gvim rarely works

Ben Fritz
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 9:27:04 AM UTC-5, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> For as long as I can remember, when gvim detects a file has changed and prompts to reload, the file is reloaded with some quantity of the initial contents replaced with a the letter "g" and a back tick? A google search didn't reveal anything.
>
> Anyone know of a solution?

I've certainly never seen that before! What version of Vim are you using? Does it happen every time?

Have you tried reproducing without any plugins or customizations? This sounds like it's probably a plugin issue to me, try after launching with "gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE" before editing the file.

Also check to see if you have any FileChangedShell autocmds defined: ":verbose autocmd FileChangedShell".

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 10:59:43 AM UTC-6, Ben Fritz wrote:
> I've certainly never seen that before! What version of Vim are you using? Does it happen every time?
>
> Have you tried reproducing without any plugins or customizations? This sounds like it's probably a plugin issue to me, try after launching with "gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE" before editing the file.
>
> Also check to see if you have any FileChangedShell autocmds defined: ":verbose autocmd FileChangedShell".

Hi Ben,
I have been using the vim x64 builds from https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer and I am currently on 8.0.1043. It happens probably 70% of the time, however I just tried to manually repro it and I couldn't:( My vimrc is pretty small, I checked for the autocmds above and I have none defined.

It happens on all versions of Windows I use often and as far back as I can remember. I am shocked its not reported more often as it can't possibly be specific to me (happens at home and work and other places I use it at).

Re: Reload in Windows gvim rarely works

Christian Brabandt

On Fr, 08 Sep 2017, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> For as long as I can remember, when gvim detects a file has changed
> and prompts to reload, the file is reloaded with some quantity of the
> initial contents replaced with a the letter "g" and a back tick? A
> google search didn't reveal anything.

Is this really there or does a :redraw fix it? If the latter, I would
guess it is a graphics driver issue.

BTW: I have never encountered such an issue with gvim

Best,
Christian
--
Wann gibt es endlich die Einbahnstraßen für beide Richtungen?

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:32:30 AM UTC-6, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Is this really there or does a :redraw fix it? If the latter, I would
> guess it is a graphics driver issue.
>
> BTW: I have never encountered such an issue with gvim
>

> Best,
> Christian

I will try that next time, unfortunately I cannot manually repro it so I will post back once it occurs.

Thanks everyone.

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 1:46:27 PM UTC-6, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I will try that next time, unfortunately I cannot manually repro it so I will post back once it occurs.

And of course just after I post, it occurs. The attached picture illustrates the issue in a form I have not seen in a while and thus forgot about it. To be honest, this looks like an encoding/bom issue though.

In the case where a g` appears at the start of the file, some quantity of the file itself is not loaded. This time the entire file reloaded when it reported a change was found.

I wonder if the two still are not related?

Capture.PNG (14K) Download Attachment

Re: Reload in Windows gvim rarely works

Christian Brabandt

On Fr, 08 Sep 2017, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 1:46:27 PM UTC-6, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > I will try that next time, unfortunately I cannot manually repro it so I will post back once it occurs.
>
> And of course just after I post, it occurs. The attached picture illustrates the issue in a form I have not seen in a while and thus forgot about it. To be honest, this looks like an encoding/bom issue though.
>
> In the case where a g` appears at the start of the file, some quantity of the file itself is not loaded. This time the entire file reloaded when it reported a change was found.
>
> I wonder if the two still are not related?

Looks like a bom. Can you check the hex version of the file? What is
your fencs setting, does it work, if you add ucs-bom to it?

Best,
Christian
--
Alles ist klar und keiner weiß Bescheid.

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 2:12:28 PM UTC-6, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Looks like a bom. Can you check the hex version of the file? What is
> your fencs setting, does it work, if you add ucs-bom to it?
>
> Best,
> Christian

The current setting is ucs-bom. The odd thing is it doesn't always happen so there is no concrete repro. I just tried again on the same file (a backup before editing it outside of gvim) and it reloaded fine...