Reminder program uses a tab indented outline

Reminder program uses a tab indented outline

Steve Litt
Hi all,

After studying all sorts of calendar programs, I decided to reinvent the wheel
and write my own reminder program. Every 2 hours my program looks at upcoming
events and the days on which I should be reminded of the events, and if there
are any reminders, a big garish unignorable green and white reminder screen
shows all upcoming events that should be displayed. Here's the VO config of
Brett's Virgin Mobile payment:

brettvirg
        str=Virgin Mobile bill for _BRETT_ due in %remaining% days
on %dow_due%, %mmddyyyy_due%.
        str=
        displaydays=0,1,2,3,6
        dom_due=10
        m_due=*

The payment is due on the 10'th of every month (dom_due, m_due). A reminder
should be displayed 6 days before the due date, 3 days, 2 days, 1 day, and 0
days (the day it's due). On those days, what is displayed is the string,
with %remaining% replaced by days til due, %dow_due% is a string
like "Friday" or "Monday", and %mmddyy_due% is replaced by the due date in
mm/dd/yyyy form. On the window, below all messages, is today's date and time.

I just paid Brett's next cell phone month, so it's counterproductive for that
message to display anymore. Therefore I ran a command to disable that event
until after its due day, then remove the disablement so it will display in
the following month.

The application is installed by copying it into a directory, any directory,
and possibly adjusting some environment vars exported by the introductory
shellscripot, genrem.sh. Commands are done by cd'ing into that directory, and
then running:

./genrem.sh commandname argument

Here is a list of the commands:

[slitt@mydesk reminders]$ ./genrem.sh
Arg1 must be an approved function, one of the following:

=============================
USAGE: ./genrem.sh function args

Heres a list of valid functions:
append
disable
display
del_all_reminders
remove_old_disables
enable
test
spawn
show_functions
list_eventkeys
=============================

[slitt@mydesk reminders]$

I'm on version 0.1.0 right now. It only works on my computer, it's got extra
stuff, and it's not even licensed GPL. If people show interest, pretty soon
I'll come out with 0.1.1 which is licensed free software, has extra junk
removed, should work with any Linux computer, and comes with an install
script.

Later versions will add such functionalities as "first Friday of the month"
and lists of months rather than the current either * or a single month.

Anyway, the reason I did this was so that reminders would come to me rather
than my having to look on a calendar, and so that the reminders would be very
obvious. Since I was doing it, I made the list of events and their data a tab
indented outline.

SteveT
Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: Reminder program uses a tab indented outline

Joshua B.
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Steve Litt<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm on version 0.1.0 right now. It only works on my computer, it's got extra
> stuff, and it's not even licensed GPL. If people show interest, pretty soon
> I'll come out with 0.1.1 which is licensed free software, has extra junk
> removed, should work with any Linux computer, and comes with an install
> script.

Here's my interest!   I'm particularly interested in scripts that
would generate nice plain output that could be incorporated into an
email or cgi.

On Friday 28 August 2009 13:29:12 Joshua B. wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Steve Litt<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm on version 0.1.0 right now. It only works on my computer, it's got
> > extra stuff, and it's not even licensed GPL. If people show interest,
> > pretty soon I'll come out with 0.1.1 which is licensed free software, has
> > extra junk removed, should work with any Linux computer, and comes with
> > an install script.
>
> Here's my interest!   I'm particularly interested in scripts that
> would generate nice plain output that could be incorporated into an
> email or cgi.

Yeah, you just replace the display routine with a routine that fires off an
email.

What's the preferred license, MIT or GPL?

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Steve Litt<[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's the preferred license, MIT or GPL?
>
> SteveT
>

>From my perspective as an end user I don't care. Academically, (as a
law student), I prefer the MIT for its simplicity. The GPL is
interesting but version 3 seems a little over ambitious and political
and looks likely to generate more lucrative work for lawyers than for
developers in the long run. But of course this is not advice, you
should certainly do what you like and choose a licence that is most
compatible with your own vision or goals.

~joshua

wrote:

> > What's the preferred license, MIT or GPL?
> >
> > SteveT
>
> From my perspective as an end user I don't care. Academically, (as a
> law student), I prefer the MIT for its simplicity. The GPL is
> interesting but version 3 seems a little over ambitious and political
> and looks likely to generate more lucrative work for lawyers than for
> developers in the long run. But of course this is not advice, you
> should certainly do what you like and choose a licence that is most
> compatible with your own vision or goals.
>
> ~joshua

:-) In fact I was leaning toward MIT for this because a little program like
this doesn't warrant the time and attention that GPL would require. And I
never went to GPL3 -- I don't quite trust it, and I certainly don't understand
it.

If I haven't given it to you in a few days, please remind me.

Also, be aware that this thing is crude and not really meant for the general
populace. You'll likely have to change some things, but take it from me, it
DOES work and give a big green banner right in your face every 2 hours if
there's anything to remember.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: Reminder program uses a tab indented outline

Scott Scriven-2
* Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I haven't given it to you in a few days, please remind me.

Heehee, that's kind of ironic.  :)

As for reminders, I just keep a list of my top 20 tasks and next
20 due dates in conky, so it's always onscreen.  I generate those
with a short script which runs TKDO every few minutes.  It runs
'tkdo list -20' and 'tkdo cal -20' and displays the output in a
status bar.  The events themselves (in .otl) look like:

  [_] Brett's Virgin Mobile bill
      ; TKDO: D=2009-09-10@17:00+1m L=7d

This makes a task which is due at 5pm on the 10th of each month,
and it won't start showing up (lead time) on the main list until
7 days before the due date.

If something gets done before its lead time (more than 7 days
before it's due in this case), it's currently necessary to bump
the due date manually.  There's also a simple way to do it in the
curses or GTK UI, but when I tried it just now I found a bug.
So, I'll have to get that fixed.  :)

(in the UI, the easy way is to simply mark the item as done twice
by pressing 'x' two times...  which makes two log entries and
*should* advance the due date twice)

Anyway, just showing another approach.  :)

-- Scott