Repeated symbols with Cscope

Hugo Gagnon
Hello,

For some reason when I do a symbol search with Cscope in Vim I get repeated symbols, e.g.:

:cs find s setID
e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }

I noticed that the symbols always gets repeated exactly 4 times.

I have the following Cscope related settings in my .vimrc:

if has("cscope") && filereadable("cscope.out")
  cscope kill -1
  set nocscopeverbose
  cscope add cscope.out
  set cscopeverbose
endif

Anybody has any idea what is going on?

Hugo

Re: Repeated symbols with Cscope

Erik Falor
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 10:03:29AM -0700, Hugo Gagnon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For some reason when I do a symbol search with Cscope in Vim I get repeated symbols, e.g.:
>
> :cs find s setID
> e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
>
> I noticed that the symbols always gets repeated exactly 4 times.
>
> I have the following Cscope related settings in my .vimrc:
>
> if has("cscope") && filereadable("cscope.out")
>   cscope kill -1
>   set nocscopeverbose
>   cscope add cscope.out
>   set cscopeverbose
> endif
>
> Anybody has any idea what is going on?
Given the lack of replies on the mailing list it would appear that
no one has any ideas. Perhaps if you can share some more information
we can help you find your solution.

Which versions of Vim and Cscope are you running?

How are you generating your cscope.out?

Are you able to share the source code and cscope.out you are working
on in your example? I could at least find out whether the problem is
unique to your computer.

--
Erik Falor
Registered Linux User #445632                    http://unnovative.net

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 4:39:18 PM UTC+2, ewfalor wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 10:03:29AM -0700, Hugo Gagnon wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > For some reason when I do a symbol search with Cscope in Vim I get repeated symbols, e.g.:
> >
> > :cs find s setID
> > e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> > e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> > e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> > e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> >
> > I noticed that the symbols always gets repeated exactly 4 times.
> >
> > I have the following Cscope related settings in my .vimrc:
> >
> > if has("cscope") && filereadable("cscope.out")
> >   cscope kill -1
> >   set nocscopeverbose
> >   cscope add cscope.out
> >   set cscopeverbose
> > endif
> >
> > Anybody has any idea what is going on?
>
> Given the lack of replies on the mailing list it would appear that
> no one has any ideas. Perhaps if you can share some more information
> we can help you find your solution.
>
> Which versions of Vim and Cscope are you running?
>
> How are you generating your cscope.out?
>
> Are you able to share the source code and cscope.out you are working
> on in your example? I could at least find out whether the problem is
> unique to your computer.
>
> --
> Erik Falor
> Registered Linux User #445632                    http://unnovative.net
Hi Erik,

Thank you for your reply.

My problem is now seemingly gone. Even more strange is that I can't reproduce it; all I did was to reboot my machine and build another Cscope database. The command that I use is:

cscope -b -q -v -i cscope.files

I use Vim 7.4.52 with Cscope 15.8a.

I am sorry but I cannot share my source code. If I can reproduce the problem I will try to create a minimal example and share it with you.

This is all very strange.

Best,

Hugo

Re: Repeated symbols with Cscope

Christian Brabandt
On Do, 13 Okt 2016, Hugo Gagnon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For some reason when I do a symbol search with Cscope in Vim I get repeated symbols, e.g.:
>
> :cs find s setID
> e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
>
> I noticed that the symbols always gets repeated exactly 4 times.
>
> I have the following Cscope related settings in my .vimrc:
>
> if has("cscope") && filereadable("cscope.out")
>   cscope kill -1
>   set nocscopeverbose
>   cscope add cscope.out
>   set cscopeverbose
> endif
>
> Anybody has any idea what is going on?

Does it happen, if you use cscope interactively?

Best,
Christian
--
Das Leben beginnt in einer Zelle
und bei Strolchen endet's auch in einer solchen.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 07:56:53AM -0700, Hugo Gagnon wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> My problem is now seemingly gone. Even more strange is that I can't reproduce it; all I did was to reboot my machine and build another Cscope database.

Those are the very best sort of problems!

> The command that I use is:
>
> cscope -b -q -v -i cscope.files
>
> I use Vim 7.4.52 with Cscope 15.8a.
>
> I am sorry but I cannot share my source code. If I can reproduce the problem I will try to create a minimal example and share it with you.

Here's hoping that it doesn't come to that ;)

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 4:57:20 PM UTC+2, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Do, 13 Okt 2016, Hugo Gagnon wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > For some reason when I do a symbol search with Cscope in Vim I get repeated symbols, e.g.:
> >
> > :cs find s setID
> > e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> > e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> > e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> > e.H|188| <<setID>> void setID (int ID) { _ID = ID; }
> >
> > I noticed that the symbols always gets repeated exactly 4 times.
> >
> > I have the following Cscope related settings in my .vimrc:
> >
> > if has("cscope") && filereadable("cscope.out")
> >   cscope kill -1
> >   set nocscopeverbose
> >   cscope add cscope.out
> >   set cscopeverbose
> > endif
> >
> > Anybody has any idea what is going on?
>
> Does it happen, if you use cscope interactively?
>

> Best,
> Christian
> --
> Das Leben beginnt in einer Zelle
> und bei Strolchen endet's auch in einer solchen.
> -- Heinz Erhardt
Christian,

No it doesn't, at least not until it started working again. Unfortunately I forgot to test that before rebooting my machine...

Hugo

Re: Repeated symbols with Cscope

arocker

> No it doesn't, at least not until it started working again. Unfortunately
> I forgot to test that before rebooting my machine...

Is this a Heisenbug (disappears when you search for it) or a
Schrodingerbug, (appears at random when the box is opened)? :-)*