Running aap in win9x

Walter Briscoe
In a recent email to Bram about downloading vim7 to a win9x machine with
aap and cvs, I wrote:

> After CVS completed, I got several messages of a particular type.
> This is a manual transcription of the last:
> CVS.EXE checkout: move away vim7/runtime/lang/memo_no_no.latin1.vim;
> it is in the way.
>
> I can find no such file nor a reference to it in
> vim7/runtime/lang/CVS/Entries.
>
> Are you able easily to say what the message means?

Bram had nothing to say in answer to my question.

I found the messages reduced to one about vim7/runtime/doc/VIMTUTOR.1.
It turned out that vimtutor-fr.1 was first created with a short name of
VIMTUTOR.1. When cvs wanted to create VIMTUTOR.1, that slot was
occupied. I solved this with something like:
1) del vimtutor-fr.1;
2) touch VIMTUTOR.1
3) cvs checkout created vimtutor-fr.1 with a short name other than
VIMTUTOR.1
4) del VIMTUTOR.1
5) cvs checkout created a VIMTUTOR.1

The advise I had found when I searched was to zap the doc directory and
refresh it; that did not work for me; I managed to acquire some
understanding; posting here should disseminate it. ;)

P.S. I found the cvs.exe in http://www.wincvs.org/WinCvs120.zip fairly
unusable in COMMAND.COM on W9X because it writes some of its messages to
stderr and COMMAND.COM does not support stderr redirection with
constructs like cvs ... > foo 2>&1

P.P.S. I passed a solution to a W9X aap problem to Bram.
The details are unimportant. I have concluded W9X is not a suitable
environment for tracking vim7 development.
--
Walter Briscoe