Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

12

Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

J. Manuel Picaza

Hi everybody,

Do you know if exist a plugin for sending and reading messages using
vim?
Sorry for asking, but doing a search using keywords such as email,
send, vim, gmail, etc is not efective.

Thanks a lot,

Manuel

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Michael Dunn-3

On 05/10/2007, J. Manuel Picaza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Do you know if exist a plugin for sending and reading messages using
> vim?  Sorry for asking, but doing a search using keywords such as
> email, send, vim, gmail, etc is not efective.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Manuel

I don't know of any such plugin, but there are a couple of solutions.
Email clients like pine/alpine and mutt allow you to use vim as your
editor. Otherwise, if you want to use e.g. gmail, then if you install
the "It's all Text!" plugin in Firefox you get a little "edit" button at
the corner of all text entry fields which you can link to gvim.

I use both of these, and am happy with both.

Michael

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Michael Dunn-3

On 05/10/2007, J. Manuel Picaza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Do you know if exist a plugin for sending and reading messages using
> vim?  Sorry for asking, but doing a search using keywords such as
> email, send, vim, gmail, etc is not efective.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Manuel

Oh, Adam Byrtek recently described the "It's all Text" plugin on
vim_mac. He also suggests:

>> Extra tip, to edit Gmail mails in mail mode add this to your vimrc:
>>
>>    autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead mail.google.com.* setf mail

Michael

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Kev-13

Google for "Vim e-mail".  The first hit is for the Vim e-mail client.
It requires python and works from within Vim.  Here is the link:
http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~elentok/files/vim/vim-mail/
Kevin

J. Manuel Picaza wrote:
 > Hi everybody,
 >
 > Do you know if exist a plugin for sending and reading messages using
 > vim?
 > Sorry for asking, but doing a search using keywords such as email,
 > send, vim, gmail, etc is not efective.
 >
 > Thanks a lot,
 >
 > Manuel

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Michael F. Lamb

I've not used it, but Google gave me "ViMail":

Kev wrote:
> Google for "Vim e-mail".  The first hit is for the Vim e-mail client.
> It requires python and works from within Vim.  Here is the link:
> http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~elentok/files/vim/vim-mail/
>
> J. Manuel Picaza wrote:
>  > Do you know if exist a plugin for sending and reading messages using
>  > vim?

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

François Pinard

[Michael F. Lamb]

>I've not used it, but Google gave me "ViMail":
>http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=179

>Kev wrote:
>> Google for "Vim e-mail".  The first hit is for the Vim e-mail client.
>> It requires python and works from within Vim.  Here is the link:
>> http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~elentok/files/vim/vim-mail/

>> J. Manuel Picaza wrote:
>>  > Do you know if exist a plugin for sending and reading messages using
>>  > vim?

While I did not followed this thread, and others might have said similar
things already, I'm happy using Mutt for an MUA, configured so Vim is
the composing editor.  I would not need Vim to be the whole MUA.
Surely, Mutt is pretty speedy for that (I have a few big folders).

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

RE: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Suresh Govindachar`

  Manuel asked:

  > Do you know if exist a plugin for sending and reading messages
  > using vim?  Sorry for asking, but doing a search using keywords
  > such as email, send, vim, gmail, etc is not efective.

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Tim Chase

> Do you know if exist a plugin for sending and reading messages
> using vim?

This must be Perl Day on the Vim list...TMTOWTDI :)

On my *nix boxes, this is easily done with the fairly standard
mail/mailx program:

:w !mail -s"This is my subject" [hidden email]

Assuming you have the mail/mailx package available (which it
usually is on *nix boxes), it doesn't get much easier than this :)

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Michael Dunn wrote:
[...]
> Email clients like pine/alpine and mutt allow you to use vim as your
> editor.

Even Thunderbird (with the "External Editor" extension).

> Otherwise, if you want to use e.g. gmail, then if you install
> the "It's all Text!" plugin in Firefox you get a little "edit" button at
> the corner of all text entry fields which you can link to gvim.
[...]

yes, I have it too: quite nice for e.g. Unicode codepoints not on your keyboard.

Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

scott-268

Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> Michael Dunn wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Email clients like pine/alpine and mutt allow you to use vim as your
>> editor.
>>

> Even Thunderbird (with the "External Editor" extension).

I've been looking for that extension for a while now -- is it me or is
it no longer available?

sc

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

R Sam

On Oct 5, 11:27 am, sc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> > Michael Dunn wrote:
> > [...]
>
> >> Email clients like pine/alpine and mutt allow you to use vim as your
> >> editor.
>
> > Even Thunderbird (with the "External Editor" extension).
>
> I've been looking for that extension for a while now -- is it me or is
> it no longer available?
>
> sc

You're right I can't seem to find it on thunderbird's add-on web site
anymore. I do
use it though. The last time I updated it was a few months ago when it
had an
update for thunderbird-2.0.x.

Regards,
-rs

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

R Sam

On Oct 5, 11:27 am, sc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> > Michael Dunn wrote:
> > [...]
>
> >> Email clients like pine/alpine and mutt allow you to use vim as your
> >> editor.
>
> > Even Thunderbird (with the "External Editor" extension).
>
> I've been looking for that extension for a while now -- is it me or is
> it no longer available?
>
> sc

You're right I can't seem to find it on thunderbird's add-on web site
anymore. I do
use it though. The last time I updated it was a few months ago when it
had an
update for thunderbird-2.0.x.

Regards,
-rs

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Gary Johnson

On 2007-10-05, sc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> > Michael Dunn wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> Email clients like pine/alpine and mutt allow you to use vim as your
> >> editor.
> >>

> > Even Thunderbird (with the "External Editor" extension).
> >
> I've been looking for that extension for a while now -- is it me or is
> it no longer available?

It seems to get harder to find that plugin each time I Google for
it.  Odd.  Anyway, I found a version here:

   http://globs.org/download.php?lng=en

I'm not at home at the moment and that's where I run Thunderbird, so
I don't know if that's the version I'm currently using.

Regards,
Gary

sc wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>> Michael Dunn wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Email clients like pine/alpine and mutt allow you to use vim as your
>>> editor.
>>>
>> Even Thunderbird (with the "External Editor" extension).
>>
> I've been looking for that extension for a while now -- is it me or is
> it no longer available?
>
> sc

Maybe you aren't looking in the right place? The version I'm using (0.7.3,
compatible with Tb 2.0.0.7pre) is from http://www.globs.org/

42. Your virtual girlfriend finds a new net sweetheart with a larger bandwidth.

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> sc wrote:
>
>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Dunn wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Even Thunderbird (with the "External Editor" extension).
>>>

>> I've been looking for that extension for a while now -- is it me or is
>> it no longer available?
>>
>> sc
>>

> Maybe you aren't looking in the right place? The version I'm using (0.7.3,
> compatible with Tb 2.0.0.7pre) is from http://www.globs.org/

thank you -- apparently addons.mozilla.org is not the right place

and now at risk of sounding completely lame, is there some magic way
of setting External Editor Settings so I can actually use some iteration of
vim when I am composing?  I now see a "Edit in External Editor  Ctrl+E"
option under tools in the compose window, but I can't seem to make it
do anything.

i've tried

    vim
    gvim
    gvim -f
    vim -gf
    /usr/local/bin/vim
    /usr/local/bin/vim -gf
    /usr/local/bin/vim -gf $*

and i've noticed some of those change the appearance of the mail preview
window, but nothing (yet) starts a vim edit session for me while
composing...

sc

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

R Sam

> thank you -- apparently addons.mozilla.org is not the right place
>
> and now at risk of sounding completely lame, is there some magic way
> of setting External Editor Settings so I can actually use some iteration of
> vim when I am composing?  I now see a "Edit in External Editor  Ctrl+E"
> option under tools in the compose window, but I can't seem to make it
> do anything.
>
> i've tried
>
>     vim
>     gvim
>     gvim -f
>     vim -gf
>     /usr/local/bin/vim
>     /usr/local/bin/vim -gf
>     /usr/local/bin/vim -gf $*
>
> and i've noticed some of those change the appearance of the mail preview
> window, but nothing (yet) starts a vim edit session for me while
> composing...
>
> sc

Click the "Preferences" button for the selected add-on. In this case
"External Editor"
and then in the "Text Editor" field add something like this:

/usr/local/packages/vim-7.0/bin/gvim -geometry 79x37+1642+55 -n --
nofork --servername MAIL --remote-wait-silent

That should work.

Then in your thunderbird compose new mail window, just hit CTRL-E and
that should pop-up
a new gvim window for you to work with.

Hope this helps.
-rs

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

Kev-13

You can get the extension from within Thunderbird.
1) click on tools
2) choose add-ons
3) choose extensions
4) look for 'external editor'
Kevin

 >>> Even Thunderbird (with the "External Editor" extension).
 >>>
 >> I've been looking for that extension for a while now -- is it me or is
 >> it no longer available?

Re: Send email messages from vim... Is it possible?

sc wrote:
[...]
 > and now at risk of sounding completely lame, is there some magic way
 > of setting External Editor Settings so I can actually use some iteration of
 > vim when I am composing?  I now see a "Edit in External Editor  Ctrl+E"
 > option under tools in the compose window, but I can't seem to make it
 > do anything.
 >
 > i've tried
 >
 >     vim
 >     gvim
 >     gvim -f
 >     vim -gf
 >     /usr/local/bin/vim
 >     /usr/local/bin/vim -gf
 >     /usr/local/bin/vim -gf $*
 >
 > and i've noticed some of those change the appearance of the mail preview
 > window, but nothing (yet) starts a vim edit session for me while
 > composing...
 >
 > sc

Tools => Addons Manager ("Extensions" page).
Select "External Editor"
Click "Preferences"
Text Editor [ /usr/local/bin/gvim -f ] Browse... [Note 1]
[x] This editor handles Unicode                  [Note 2]

Notes:
1. Enter the full path to the "gvim" softlink or binary, with -f ... or the
full path to the GUI-enabled "vim" binary, with -gf
2. Check this if Vim is compiled with +multi_byte (recommended).

I composed the present message using the above method.

Rocky's Lemma of Innovation Prevention
        Unless the results are known in advance, funding agencies will
        reject the proposal.

Kev wrote:
> You can get the extension from within Thunderbird.
> 1) click on tools
> 2) choose add-ons
> 3) choose extensions
> 4) look for 'external editor'
> Kevin

That is if it is already installed in your current profile. If you want to
check, restart Thunderbird with -ProfileManager on the command-line, create a
new profile, and use it. "External Editor" won't be there.

If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> sc wrote:
> [...]
>  > and now at risk of sounding completely lame, is there some magic way
>  > of setting External Editor Settings so I can actually use some iteration of
>  > vim when I am composing?  I now see a "Edit in External Editor  Ctrl+E"
>  > option under tools in the compose window, but I can't seem to make it
>  > do anything.
>  >
>  > i've tried
>  >
>  >     vim
>  >     gvim
>  >     gvim -f
>  >     vim -gf
>  >     /usr/local/bin/vim
>  >     /usr/local/bin/vim -gf
>  >     /usr/local/bin/vim -gf $*
>  >
>  > and i've noticed some of those change the appearance of the mail preview
>  > window, but nothing (yet) starts a vim edit session for me while
>  > composing...
>  >
>  > sc
>
> Tools => Addons Manager ("Extensions" page).
> Select "External Editor"
> Click "Preferences"
> Text Editor [ /usr/local/bin/gvim -f ] Browse... [Note 1]
> [x] This editor handles Unicode                  [Note 2]
>
> Notes:
> 1. Enter the full path to the "gvim" softlink or binary, with -f ... or the
> full path to the GUI-enabled "vim" binary, with -gf
> 2. Check this if Vim is compiled with +multi_byte (recommended).
>
> I composed the present message using the above method.

for me, neither this nor rsam's recommendation produced any vim window
at all

does it matter that I am running thunderbird v2.0.0.6?

might some other plugins be conflicting with it?

I have

    Buttons 0.5.3.2
    Lightning 0.5
    LookOut 1.2
    MIME Edit 0.60
    Talkback 2.0.0.6
    Text Complete 0.9.9.3
    ViewSourceWith 0.0.9.1

ok, had

I have disabled ViewSourceWith, and Text Complete, but still
nothing happens when I select Tools, Edit in External Editor,
or when I execute a ctrl-e (or a ctr-E for that matter) when in
the Compose window

sc

12