Set scrollbind and syncbind on command line of vim invocation

Set scrollbind and syncbind on command line of vim invocation

Keith Christian-2
Trying to load two files, 1.txt and 2.txt and set scrollbind on the
command line with syncbind option, so the files will both scroll
together, without setting scrollbind after the files are loaded.

Tried these command lines, still have to issue :scrollbind command
separately in each window (Ctrl-W L then :scrollbind.)

Want to issue all commands on the command line beforehand.

Doesn't work:  vim -O +"set scb syncbind" 1.txt 2.txt

Also doesn't work:  vim -O +"set scb" +"set syncbind" 1.txt 2.txt

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Re: Set scrollbind and syncbind on command line of vim invocation

Ben Fritz
On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 4:59:32 PM UTC-5, Keith Christian wrote:

> Trying to load two files, 1.txt and 2.txt and set scrollbind on the
> command line with syncbind option, so the files will both scroll
> together, without setting scrollbind after the files are loaded.
>
> Tried these command lines, still have to issue :scrollbind command
> separately in each window (Ctrl-W L then :scrollbind.)
>
> Want to issue all commands on the command line beforehand.
>

> Doesn't work:  vim -O +"set scb syncbind" 1.txt 2.txt
>
> Also doesn't work:  vim -O +"set scb" +"set syncbind" 1.txt 2.txt
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Keith
Try using +"windo set scb syncbind" to set on both windows with one command.

Re: Set scrollbind and syncbind on command line of vim invocation

Keith Christian-2
Ben,

Thanks for responding.

That command line loads both files as mine does but displays an error.
Not much documentation about the syncbind option/command in Vim's
docs.

Here is the error I see when running the command (I added -O to
achieve loading both 1.txt and 2.txt.)

vi -O +"windo set scb syncbind" 1.txt 2.txt

"2.txt" 58L, 2374C
Error detected while processing command line:
E518: Unknown option: syncbind
E518: Unknown option: syncbind

Keith

Re: Set scrollbind and syncbind on command line of vim invocation

Christian Brabandt

On Di, 19 Sep 2017, Keith Christian wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> That command line loads both files as mine does but displays an error.
> Not much documentation about the syncbind option/command in Vim's
> docs.
>
> Here is the error I see when running the command (I added -O to
> achieve loading both 1.txt and 2.txt.)
>
> vi -O +"windo set scb syncbind" 1.txt 2.txt
>
> "2.txt" 58L, 2374C
> Error detected while processing command line:
> E518: Unknown option: syncbind
> E518: Unknown option: syncbind

Well the error says it all, there is no such option. I guess you are
looking for the cursorbind option?

Christian
--
Unser Barometer hängt 1m hoch. Dieses Tief heute ist aber so tief, daß
es da nicht mehr rankommt.