Shell window within Vim

Narayanan S. Iyer
Requirement:

I need a special window within Vim where I can interact directly with
the shell. i.e., a window which acts as the shell itslef - I should be
able to type in shell commands and these should be passed on to the
shell and the output from the shell should be updated in this window
periodically. Parallelly, I should be able to work in other windows
which are open.

Could anyone help with this ?

Regards,
Iyer

Re: Shell window within Vim

Gareth Oakes-2
Hi Iyer,

We just had a thread on this exact topic not a few days ago.  You may
want to browse the vim list archives for more information.  Basically
the best solution at the moment is linux-only:

http://www.wana.at/vimshell/index.php

I don't believe there is any other way to achieve what you want,
although quite a few of us appear to be interested in that functionality.

Cheers,
Gareth

Narayanan S. Iyer wrote:

> Requirement:
>
> I need a special window within Vim where I can interact directly with
> the shell. i.e., a window which acts as the shell itslef - I should be
> able to type in shell commands and these should be passed on to the
> shell and the output from the shell should be updated in this window
> periodically. Parallelly, I should be able to work in other windows
> which are open.
>
> Could anyone help with this ?
>

> Regards,
> Iyer

Re: Shell window within Vim

Edward L. Fox
Hi all,

It seems to be very nice. But it's not a regular plugin or extension. It
patches the source of a specific version of VIM. That makes it more difficult
to be installed with different version of VIM.

Regards,

Edward L. Fox

2005/9/29, Gareth Oakes <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Iyer,
>
> We just had a thread on this exact topic not a few days ago.  You may
> want to browse the vim list archives for more information.  Basically
> the best solution at the moment is linux-only:
>
> http://www.wana.at/vimshell/index.php
>
> I don't believe there is any other way to achieve what you want,
> although quite a few of us appear to be interested in that functionality.
>
> Cheers,
> Gareth
>
> Narayanan S. Iyer wrote:
> > Requirement:
> >
> > I need a special window within Vim where I can interact directly with
> > the shell. i.e., a window which acts as the shell itslef - I should be
> > able to type in shell commands and these should be passed on to the
> > shell and the output from the shell should be updated in this window
> > periodically. Parallelly, I should be able to work in other windows
> > which are open.
> >
> > Could anyone help with this ?
> >

> > Regards,
> > Iyer

Re: Shell window within Vim

Narayanan S. Iyer wrote:

> Requirement:
>
> I need a special window within Vim where I can interact directly with
> the shell. i.e., a window which acts as the shell itslef - I should be
> able to type in shell commands and these should be passed on to the
> shell and the output from the shell should be updated in this window
> periodically. Parallelly, I should be able to work in other windows
> which are open.
>
> Could anyone help with this ?
>

> Regards,
> Iyer

This has been discussed many times on this list, the last time was this
week. At present, IIUC the "latest" news on the matter is: such a
feature is not going to be included in the "official" sources at any
foreseeable future time; there exists an "unofficial" patch, but only
for Console vim on Unix-like systems; the gvim version is in the works;
for more info, check this week's postings.