Shift-Space on MacVim/Yosemite

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Shift-Space on MacVim/Yosemite

Goran Topic
Hello.

Another issue on Yosemite; while it may be trivial, it is really annoying, and I wonder if anyone has insight.

Up until now, all versions of Vim (including MacVim) that I ever ran would render Shift-Space in insert mode as equivalent to Space. Thus, if I type

a += "foo" # XXX

I will have my shift pressed exactly twice (for [+= "] and [" # XXX], respectively).
However, having installed Yosemite, it no longer works in GUI MacVim, rendering this:

a +="foo"#XXX

i.e. any space that I press while shift is depressed is void. I even tried to `imap <S-Space>`, and it seems that my MacVim is not registering it at all.

Thank you.

Goran


VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Oct 22 2014 15:46:42)
MacOS X (unix) version
Included patches: 1-258
Compiled by Homebrew
Huge version with MacVim GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl             +cmdline_compl   +diff            +find_in_path    +jumplist        +mksession       +mouse_urxvt     +postscript      +signs           -tcl             +visual          +xim
+arabic          +cmdline_hist    +digraphs        +float           +keymap          +modify_fname    +mouse_xterm     +printer         +smartindent     +terminfo        +visualextra     -xsmp
+autocmd         +cmdline_info    +dnd             +folding         +langmap         +mouse           +multi_byte      +profile         -sniff           +termresponse    +viminfo         -xterm_clipboard
+balloon_eval    +comments        -ebcdic          -footer          +libcall         +mouseshape      +multi_lang      -python          +startuptime     +textobjects     +vreplace        -xterm_save
+browse          +conceal         +emacs_tags      +fork()          +linebreak       +mouse_dec       -mzscheme        -python3         +statusline      +title           +wildignore      -xpm
++builtin_terms  +cryptv          +eval            +fullscreen      +lispindent      -mouse_gpm       +netbeans_intg   +quickfix        -sun_workshop    +toolbar         +wildmenu
+byte_offset     +cscope          +ex_extra        -gettext         +listcmds        -mouse_jsbterm   +odbeditor       +reltime         +syntax          +transparency    +windows
+cindent         +cursorbind      +extra_search    -hangul_input    +localmap        +mouse_netterm   +path_extra      +rightleft       +tag_binary      +user_commands   +writebackup
+clientserver    +cursorshape     +farsi           +iconv           -lua             +mouse_sgr       +perl            +ruby            +tag_old_static  +vertsplit       -X11
+clipboard       +dialog_con_gui  +file_in_path    +insert_expand   +menu            -mouse_sysmouse  +persistent_undo +scrollbind      -tag_any_white   +virtualedit     -xfontset
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
    user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
2nd user gvimrc file: "~/.vim/gvimrc"
    system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
Compilation: clang -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MACVIM -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe  -DMACOS_X_UNIX  -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 -I/System/Lib
rary/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -DENABLE_DTRACE -DMACOSX -DNDEBUG -Wall -Wstrict
-prototypes -Wshorten-64-to-32 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch x86_64 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
Linking: clang   -L. -L/usr/local/lib -L. -L/usr/local/lib -L/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/config -framework CoreFoundation -lpython2.7 -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framew
ork Cocoa -framework Carbon       -lm  -lncurses -liconv -framework Cocoa   -fstack-protector  -L/System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE -lperl    -framework Ruby        

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Shift-Space on MacVim/Yosemite

Douglas Drumond

2014-10-23 22:56 GMT-02:00 Goran Topic <[hidden email]>:
>
> i.e. any space that I press while shift is depressed is void. I even tried to `imap <S-Space>`, and it seems that my MacVim is not registering it at all.


Try this build:
https://github.com/douglasdrumond/macvim/releases/tag/snapshot-73

I just tried shift space and it worked here. If it doesn't, please try the troubleshooting guide: https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting


--
Douglas Drumond

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Shift-Space on MacVim/Yosemite

Goran Topic-2
Hello, Douglas.

Thank you for the prompt response. I downloaded the Yosemite binary
snapshot, and Shift-Space is still void.
Now I that am wondering what is different from you, it just hit me
that it might be regional. I'm using a Japanese keyboard, set to
Romaji (latin character) input.
So I went into Input Sources, added US - and it works. So it's
something particular to Kotoeri with MacVim (as I have no issues with
any other software except MacVim).

A quick Google found this, that I am not knowledgeable enough to know
if relevant or not:
https://gist.github.com/comutt/dd0a03bdc81e2660ea07


Okay, down the troubleshooting list:

CONFIG FILES:
$ ~/Downloads/MacVim-snapshot-73/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -u NONE
... still no spaces :(

SYSTEM VIM:
not applicable, only happens in GUI

NEWER VERSION:
I believe you just sent me the newest one

RC FILES:
moved, started new terminal
... still no spaces :(

ONLY VERSION:
$ mdfind MacVim.app
/usr/local/Cellar/macvim/7.4-73_1/MacVim.app
/Users/amadan/Downloads/MacVim-snapshot-73/MacVim.app
$ brew uninstall macvim
Uninstalling /usr/local/Cellar/macvim/7.4-73_1...
$ ~/Downloads/MacVim-snapshot-73/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -u NONE
... still no spaces :(

ZSH USERS
not me, I'm a Bashian

ASK FOR HELP
Please help!

Goran

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Douglas Drumond
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> 2014-10-23 22:56 GMT-02:00 Goran Topic <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> i.e. any space that I press while shift is depressed is void. I even tried
>> to `imap <S-Space>`, and it seems that my MacVim is not registering it at
>> all.
>
>
> Try this build:
> https://github.com/douglasdrumond/macvim/releases/tag/snapshot-73
>
> I just tried shift space and it worked here. If it doesn't, please try the
> troubleshooting guide:
> https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting
>
>
> --
> Douglas Drumond
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the
> Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_mac/Yo2DaV103rM/unsubscribe.
> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
> [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Shift-Space on MacVim/Yosemite

Douglas Drumond

2014-10-24 1:01 GMT-02:00 Goran Topic <[hidden email]>:
>
> Now I that am wondering what is different from you, it just hit me
> that it might be regional. I'm using a Japanese keyboard, set to
> Romaji (latin character) input.


I use Japanese keyboard too, but due to problem with accented characters in Yosemite in general (all apps, not only MacVim), I fell back to using a Brazilian keyboard (for instance, using romaji, "option-e a" produces "a" instead of  "á", this didn't occur in Mavericks or older). Using Japanese keyboard again I could reproduce your issue.

> So I went into Input Sources, added US - and it works. So it's
> something particular to Kotoeri with MacVim (as I have no issues with
> any other software except MacVim).
>
> A quick Google found this, that I am not knowledgeable enough to know
> if relevant or not:
> https://gist.github.com/comutt/dd0a03bdc81e2660ea07


This gist is to modify Mac's JapaneseIM.app inside /System/Library/Input Methods, it appears to be a bug in Kotoeri (or some backward incompatible change). I don't know how to work around the issue, probably Björn knows. But I'll look into it.

As a workaround, I'm using Google IME [http://www.google.co.jp/ime/] now and it works fine (and my issue in first paragraph is solved as well, so, thanks for finding this problem).


--
Douglas Drumond

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Shift-Space on MacVim/Yosemite

Goran Topic-2
Thank you for the suggestion, Douglas, I switched to Google IME, and
as you said, got around the problem.

Goran

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Douglas Drumond
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> 2014-10-24 1:01 GMT-02:00 Goran Topic <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Now I that am wondering what is different from you, it just hit me
>> that it might be regional. I'm using a Japanese keyboard, set to
>> Romaji (latin character) input.
>
>
> I use Japanese keyboard too, but due to problem with accented characters in
> Yosemite in general (all apps, not only MacVim), I fell back to using a
> Brazilian keyboard (for instance, using romaji, "option-e a" produces "a"
> instead of  "á", this didn't occur in Mavericks or older). Using Japanese
> keyboard again I could reproduce your issue.
>
>> So I went into Input Sources, added US - and it works. So it's
>> something particular to Kotoeri with MacVim (as I have no issues with
>> any other software except MacVim).
>>
>> A quick Google found this, that I am not knowledgeable enough to know
>> if relevant or not:
>> https://gist.github.com/comutt/dd0a03bdc81e2660ea07
>
>
> This gist is to modify Mac's JapaneseIM.app inside /System/Library/Input
> Methods, it appears to be a bug in Kotoeri (or some backward incompatible
> change). I don't know how to work around the issue, probably Björn knows.
> But I'll look into it.
>
> As a workaround, I'm using Google IME [http://www.google.co.jp/ime/] now and
> it works fine (and my issue in first paragraph is solved as well, so, thanks
> for finding this problem).
>
>
> --
> Douglas Drumond
>
> --
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the
> Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_mac/Yo2DaV103rM/unsubscribe.
> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
> [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.