Sierra disables "iab" abbreviations

wegelin
I manage 3 Mac computers. Two (named BNW and MLZ), I have upgraded recently to macos Sierra.  One (named QQT) remains OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

I constantly use vim on my computers. My .vimrc file contains nearly 13K (13000) "iab" abbreviations.  The .vimrc is identical on all three machines.

I run vim in the bash shell, on the command line, not the gui (not gvim or mvim).

Upgrading to Sierra caused vim to behave as follows:

After I have edited a file for a few minutes, my "iab" abbreviations are no longer transformed automatically.

If I re-save the file, then the "iab" abbreviations are again auto-corrected, or transformed, in real time.

This does not happen on QQT, under El Capitan, only under Sierra.

This leads me to think that under Sierra, something bad has happened to the bash shell.

Has anyone noticed this behavior, or does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Jacob Wegelin

Re: Sierra disables "iab" abbreviations

robert h-2
On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 12:31:36 AM UTC-4, Jacob Wegelin wrote:

> I manage 3 Mac computers. Two (named BNW and MLZ), I have upgraded recently to macos Sierra.  One (named QQT) remains OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
>
> I constantly use vim on my computers. My .vimrc file contains nearly 13K (13000) "iab" abbreviations.  The .vimrc is identical on all three machines.
>
> I run vim in the bash shell, on the command line, not the gui (not gvim or mvim).
>
> Upgrading to Sierra caused vim to behave as follows:
>
> After I have edited a file for a few minutes, my "iab" abbreviations are no longer transformed automatically.
>
> If I re-save the file, then the "iab" abbreviations are again auto-corrected, or transformed, in real time.
>
> This does not happen on QQT, under El Capitan, only under Sierra.
>
> This leads me to think that under Sierra, something bad has happened to the bash shell.
>
> Has anyone noticed this behavior, or does anyone have a solution?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jacob Wegelin
13000? Wow.

Have you tried using another shell or another terminal emulator as a test?

Bob

Re: Sierra disables "iab" abbreviations

Bee-16
On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 9:31:36 PM UTC-7, Jacob Wegelin wrote:

> I manage 3 Mac computers. Two (named BNW and MLZ), I have upgraded recently to macos Sierra.  One (named QQT) remains OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
>
> I constantly use vim on my computers. My .vimrc file contains nearly 13K (13000) "iab" abbreviations.  The .vimrc is identical on all three machines.
>
> I run vim in the bash shell, on the command line, not the gui (not gvim or mvim).
>
> Upgrading to Sierra caused vim to behave as follows:
>
> After I have edited a file for a few minutes, my "iab" abbreviations are no longer transformed automatically.
>
> If I re-save the file, then the "iab" abbreviations are again auto-corrected, or transformed, in real time.
>
> This does not happen on QQT, under El Capitan, only under Sierra.
>
> This leads me to think that under Sierra, something bad has happened to the bash shell.
>
> Has anyone noticed this behavior, or does anyone have a solution?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jacob Wegelin
are the iab errors consistent?

On 2017-09-12 Tue 21:36, Bee wrote:

> On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 9:31:36 PM UTC-7, Jacob Wegelin wrote:
>> I manage 3 Mac computers. Two (named BNW and MLZ), I have upgraded recently to macos Sierra.  One (named QQT) remains OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
>>
>> I constantly use vim on my computers. My .vimrc file contains nearly 13K (13000) "iab" abbreviations.  The .vimrc is identical on all three machines.
>>
>> I run vim in the bash shell, on the command line, not the gui (not gvim or mvim).
>>
>> Upgrading to Sierra caused vim to behave as follows:
>>
>> After I have edited a file for a few minutes, my "iab" abbreviations are no longer transformed automatically.
>>
>> If I re-save the file, then the "iab" abbreviations are again auto-corrected, or transformed, in real time.
>>
>> This does not happen on QQT, under El Capitan, only under Sierra.
>>
>> This leads me to think that under Sierra, something bad has happened to the bash shell.
>>
>> Has anyone noticed this behavior, or does anyone have a solution?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacob Wegelin
>
> are the iab errors consistent?

No. Not consistent. Sometimes the (iab) abbreviation is translated or expanded to what it's supposed to be; sometimes it isn't. So for instance if I type the string

frinst

followed by a space, sometimes it just stays as that;

sometimes it is expanded to

for instance

When I see that an iab has not been expanded, I can remedy it by hitting <Esc> :w and retyping the iab.

So vim sort of forgets or goes to sleep; I wake it by hitting <Esc> :w.

It never failed in this way, as far as I can remember, under the earlier version of Mac OC.