Some UTF-8 characters starting lines cause colouring problems

Some UTF-8 characters starting lines cause colouring problems

Alex Kapranoff-3
Good day to all!

I am trying to use VO in Russian using UTF-8. It seems that either VO or
Vim itself has a bug in this area.
What I see is: some cyrillic UTF-8 characters mess colours in subsequent
lines. When I recode the file into a 8bit russian charset (koi8-r)
and :set encoding=koi8-r in Vim everything works fine.

In mailing list archive I found an evidence of this very problem but
with german characters with umlauts:
http://www.vimoutliner.org/pipermail/vimoutliner/2004-June/000287.html

Is there a solution? Is there anyone who wants and is able to debug it
more? I just scanned VO source *.vim scripts and I suppose that this is
a bug in Vim which shows up in VO. I am not though able to isolate it
(from VO) so that it could be submitted to Bram :(

I've got some screenshots and files:
VO file in UTF-8 which causes mess --
http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.utf8.otl
This is how I see it (wrong colours) --
http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.utf8.png
VO file in koi8-r which works fine --
http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.koi8-r.otl
This is how I see it (right colours) --
http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.koi8-r.png

Re: Some UTF-8 characters starting lines cause colouring problems

Stefan Schmiedl
Alex,

I see no problem with this on my gvim 6.4 on a UTF-8 based Gentoo box.

Since I'm not running the original vimoutliner distribution
files, however, it might explain the difference.

You can get my setup (including a screenshot) from
  http://xss.de/adhoc/stefans_vim_setup.tgz

Let us know how it goes,
s.

Alex Kapranoff (08.02. 19:12):

> Good day to all!
>
> I am trying to use VO in Russian using UTF-8. It seems that either VO or
> Vim itself has a bug in this area.
> What I see is: some cyrillic UTF-8 characters mess colours in subsequent
> lines. When I recode the file into a 8bit russian charset (koi8-r)
> and :set encoding=koi8-r in Vim everything works fine.
>
> In mailing list archive I found an evidence of this very problem but
> with german characters with umlauts:
> http://www.vimoutliner.org/pipermail/vimoutliner/2004-June/000287.html
>
> Is there a solution? Is there anyone who wants and is able to debug it
> more? I just scanned VO source *.vim scripts and I suppose that this is
> a bug in Vim which shows up in VO. I am not though able to isolate it
> (from VO) so that it could be submitted to Bram :(
>
> I've got some screenshots and files:
> VO file in UTF-8 which causes mess --
> http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.utf8.otl
> This is how I see it (wrong colours) --
> http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.utf8.png
> VO file in koi8-r which works fine --
> http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.koi8-r.otl
> This is how I see it (right colours) --
> http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.koi8-r.png

Stefan Schmiedl

Re: Some UTF-8 characters starting lines cause=?WINDOWS-1251?Q?=09?=colouring problems

Alex Kapranoff-3
Stefan, thanks a lot!

Seems to work flawlessly both with my testcase and production document
in UTF-8 and koi8-r (checked just in case).
I'm going to use your syntax/vo_base.vim :)

* Stefan Schmiedl <[hidden email]> [Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:11:31 +0100]:

> Alex,
>
> I see no problem with this on my gvim 6.4 on a UTF-8 based Gentoo box.
>
> Since I'm not running the original vimoutliner distribution
> files, however, it might explain the difference.
>
> You can get my setup (including a screenshot) from
>   http://xss.de/adhoc/stefans_vim_setup.tgz
>
> Let us know how it goes,
> s.
>
> Alex Kapranoff (08.02. 19:12):
>
> > Good day to all!
> >
> > I am trying to use VO in Russian using UTF-8. It seems that either
VO

> or
> > Vim itself has a bug in this area.
> > What I see is: some cyrillic UTF-8 characters mess colours in
> subsequent
> > lines. When I recode the file into a 8bit russian charset (koi8-r)
> > and :set encoding=koi8-r in Vim everything works fine.
> >
> > In mailing list archive I found an evidence of this very problem but
> > with german characters with umlauts:

http://www.vimoutliner.org/pipermail/vimoutliner/2004-June/000287.html

> > Is there a solution? Is there anyone who wants and is able to debug
it
> > more? I just scanned VO source *.vim scripts and I suppose that this
> is
> > a bug in Vim which shows up in VO. I am not though able to isolate
it

> > (from VO) so that it could be submitted to Bram :(
> >
> > I've got some screenshots and files:
> > VO file in UTF-8 which causes mess --
> > http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.utf8.otl
> > This is how I see it (wrong colours) --
> > http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.utf8.png
> > VO file in koi8-r which works fine --
> > http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.koi8-r.otl
> > This is how I see it (right colours) --
> > http://kapranoff.ru/~kappa/vo_utf/utf8mess.koi8-r.png

Re: Some UTF-8 characters starting lines cause colouring problems

Stefan Schmiedl
Alex Kapranoff (09.02. 14:55):

> Stefan, thanks a lot!
>
> Seems to work flawlessly both with my testcase and production document
> in UTF-8 and koi8-r (checked just in case).
> I'm going to use your syntax/vo_base.vim :)

Good to hear. I guess you could compare the original syntax coloring
definitions with mine and ask vim developers why they behave different
for your character set/encoding situation.

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl