Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

David Woodfall
Hi

Someone on the list gave me a way to stop spellchecker picking up on
uncapitalised words after an ellipsis, which I use in
~/.vim/ftplugin/tex.vim and it works great.

However, I found that the same thing in txt.vim doesn't work.

Any idea why this is not working?

These are the lines:

setl spell
syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2

I also put them in ~/.vim/plugin/settings but that doesn't seem to
work either.

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

David Woodfall
>Hi
>
>Someone on the list gave me a way to stop spellchecker picking up on
>uncapitalised words after an ellipsis, which I use in
>~/.vim/ftplugin/tex.vim and it works great.
>
>However, I found that the same thing in txt.vim doesn't work.
>
>Any idea why this is not working?
>
>These are the lines:
>
>setl spell
>syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
>syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
>syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
>syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2
>
>I also put them in ~/.vim/plugin/settings but that doesn't seem to
>work either.

OK I have found what the problem is, but haven't yet found a fix.

In my txt file I have a modeline:

% vim: syn=tex

If I take that out it works as expected, but I want to use tex syntax.

Any ideas? (Other than renaming my txt files to tex)

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

David Woodfall
>>Hi
>>
>>Someone on the list gave me a way to stop spellchecker picking up on
>>uncapitalised words after an ellipsis, which I use in
>>~/.vim/ftplugin/tex.vim and it works great.
>>
>>However, I found that the same thing in txt.vim doesn't work.
>>
>>Any idea why this is not working?
>>
>>These are the lines:
>>
>>setl spell
>>syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
>>syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
>>syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
>>syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2
>>
>>I also put them in ~/.vim/plugin/settings but that doesn't seem to
>>work either.
>
>OK I have found what the problem is, but haven't yet found a fix.
>
>In my txt file I have a modeline:
>
>% vim: syn=tex
>
>If I take that out it works as expected, but I want to use tex syntax.
>
>Any ideas? (Other than renaming my txt files to tex)

Actually, renaming doesn't work either. It seems that some things are
still spellchecked up the top of the document. If I put an ellipsis
near the end it's fine.

Stumped...

I'm sure there is a setting for how much of the buffer is checked, but
I haven't found it yet.

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

Charles Campbell
David Woodfall wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Someone on the list gave me a way to stop spellchecker picking up on
>>> uncapitalised words after an ellipsis, which I use in
>>> ~/.vim/ftplugin/tex.vim and it works great.
>>>
>>> However, I found that the same thing in txt.vim doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Any idea why this is not working?
>>>
>>> These are the lines:
>>>
>>> setl spell
>>> syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
>>> syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell
>>> transparent
>>> syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
>>> syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2
>>>
>>> I also put them in ~/.vim/plugin/settings but that doesn't seem to
>>> work either.
>>
>> OK I have found what the problem is, but haven't yet found a fix.
>>
>> In my txt file I have a modeline:
>>
>> % vim: syn=tex
>>
>> If I take that out it works as expected, but I want to use tex syntax.
>>
>> Any ideas? (Other than renaming my txt files to tex)
>
> Actually, renaming doesn't work either. It seems that some things are
> still spellchecked up the top of the document. If I put an ellipsis
> near the end it's fine.
>
> Stumped...
>
> I'm sure there is a setting for how much of the buffer is checked, but
> I haven't found it yet.

Spellchecking is specified on a syntax-region/syntax-match basis.  The
syntax-tex file has a lot of regions, and your Ellipsis match is not
contained in any of them; ie. it would apply only to wherever there is
no region/match in effect.

  * approach#1: use the hilinks plugin
(http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HILINKS) to identify
regions that you want modify contains lists:  ex. syn Ellipsis ...
containedin=texSectionZone
  * approach#2: add your region to one or more of the clusters that
syntax/tex uses: ex. syn cluster texFoldGroup add=Ellipsis

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

Erik Christiansen
On 13.06.16 14:45, David Woodfall wrote:

> >Any ideas? (Other than renaming my txt files to tex)
>
> Actually, renaming doesn't work either. It seems that some things are
> still spellchecked up the top of the document. If I put an ellipsis
> near the end it's fine.
>
> Stumped...
>
> I'm sure there is a setting for how much of the buffer is checked, but
> I haven't found it yet.

When a problem just becomes more complex with additional effort, it can
sometimes be worth considering alternatives. When I try substituting a
two-dot 2/3 ellipsis, using the ^K.. digraph, vim spellchecking does not
highlight an error.

Eyeing the output of :dig, I was unable to spot a full 3-dot ellipsis,
though ^K3. and ^K3_ did produce three dots at half character height,
whatever they might be good for.

Maybe there is a suitable digraph in there somewhere, and that could be
mapped to Alt-E or whatever?

Erik

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

David Woodfall

>>> OK I have found what the problem is, but haven't yet found a fix.
>>>
>>> In my txt file I have a modeline:
>>>
>>> % vim: syn=tex
>>>
>>> If I take that out it works as expected, but I want to use tex syntax.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? (Other than renaming my txt files to tex)
>>
>> Actually, renaming doesn't work either. It seems that some things are
>> still spellchecked up the top of the document. If I put an ellipsis
>> near the end it's fine.
>>
>> Stumped...
>>
>> I'm sure there is a setting for how much of the buffer is checked, but
>> I haven't found it yet.
>>
>Spellchecking is specified on a syntax-region/syntax-match basis.  The
>syntax-tex file has a lot of regions, and your Ellipsis match is not
>contained in any of them; ie. it would apply only to wherever there is
>no region/match in effect.
>
>  * approach#1: use the hilinks plugin
>(http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HILINKS) to identify
>regions that you want modify contains lists:  ex. syn Ellipsis ...
>containedin=texSectionZone
>  * approach#2: add your region to one or more of the clusters that
>syntax/tex uses: ex. syn cluster texFoldGroup add=Ellipsis
>
>Regards,
>Chip Campbell

Thanks for reply. Hilinks tells me that it is a texSubSectionZone,
but using approach#2:

syn cluster texSubSectionGroup add=Ellipsis
syn cluster texSubSectionGroup add=Ellipsis2

has no effect.

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

David Woodfall

>>>Actually, renaming doesn't work either. It seems that some things are
>>>still spellchecked up the top of the document. If I put an ellipsis
>>>near the end it's fine.
>>>
>>>Stumped...
>>>
>>>I'm sure there is a setting for how much of the buffer is checked, but
>>>I haven't found it yet.
>>>
>>Spellchecking is specified on a syntax-region/syntax-match basis.  The
>>syntax-tex file has a lot of regions, and your Ellipsis match is not
>>contained in any of them; ie. it would apply only to wherever there is
>>no region/match in effect.
>>
>> * approach#1: use the hilinks plugin
>>(http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HILINKS) to identify
>>regions that you want modify contains lists:  ex. syn Ellipsis ...
>>containedin=texSectionZone
>> * approach#2: add your region to one or more of the clusters that
>>syntax/tex uses: ex. syn cluster texFoldGroup add=Ellipsis
>>
>>Regards,
>>Chip Campbell
>
>Thanks for reply. Hilinks tells me that it is a texSubSectionZone,
>but using approach#2:
>
>syn cluster texSubSectionGroup add=Ellipsis
>syn cluster texSubSectionGroup add=Ellipsis2
>
>has no effect.

Ok. Fixed now - I removed the settings from ftplugin and put them in
.vim/syntax/tex.vim

Thanks for the help.

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

David Woodfall
>On 13.06.16 14:45, David Woodfall wrote:
>> >Any ideas? (Other than renaming my txt files to tex)
>>
>> Actually, renaming doesn't work either. It seems that some things are
>> still spellchecked up the top of the document. If I put an ellipsis
>> near the end it's fine.
>>
>> Stumped...
>>
>> I'm sure there is a setting for how much of the buffer is checked, but
>> I haven't found it yet.
>
>When a problem just becomes more complex with additional effort, it can
>sometimes be worth considering alternatives. When I try substituting a
>two-dot 2/3 ellipsis, using the ^K.. digraph, vim spellchecking does not
>highlight an error.
>
>Eyeing the output of :dig, I was unable to spot a full 3-dot ellipsis,
>though ^K3. and ^K3_ did produce three dots at half character height,
>whatever they might be good for.
>
>Maybe there is a suitable digraph in there somewhere, and that could be
>mapped to Alt-E or whatever?
>
>Erik
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did once use the uft8 symbol for ellipsis, but it really killed the
readability of it.

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

David Woodfall

>>>Spellchecking is specified on a syntax-region/syntax-match basis.  The
>>>syntax-tex file has a lot of regions, and your Ellipsis match is not
>>>contained in any of them; ie. it would apply only to wherever there is
>>>no region/match in effect.
>>>
>>>* approach#1: use the hilinks plugin
>>>(http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HILINKS) to identify
>>>regions that you want modify contains lists:  ex. syn Ellipsis ...
>>>containedin=texSectionZone
>>>* approach#2: add your region to one or more of the clusters that
>>>syntax/tex uses: ex. syn cluster texFoldGroup add=Ellipsis
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Chip Campbell
>>
>>Thanks for reply. Hilinks tells me that it is a texSubSectionZone,
>>but using approach#2:
>>
>>syn cluster texSubSectionGroup add=Ellipsis
>>syn cluster texSubSectionGroup add=Ellipsis2
>>
>>has no effect.
>
>Ok. Fixed now - I removed the settings from ftplugin and put them in
>.vim/syntax/tex.vim

I spoke too soon. Now it looks like no spellcheck is being performed
even though it is on.

These are the lines I have:

syn sync fromstart
syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell
transparent
syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2

syn cluster texDocGroup             add=Ellipsis
syn cluster texPartGroup            add=Ellipsis
syn cluster texChapterGroup         add=Ellipsis
syn cluster texSectionGroup         add=Ellipsis
syn cluster texSubSectionGroup      add=Ellipsis
syn cluster texSubSubSectionGroup   add=Ellipsis
syn cluster texParaGroup            add=Ellipsis

syn cluster texDocGroup             add=Ellipsis2
syn cluster texPartGroup            add=Ellipsis2
syn cluster texChapterGroup         add=Ellipsis2
syn cluster texSectionGroup         add=Ellipsis2
syn cluster texSubSectionGroup      add=Ellipsis2
syn cluster texSubSubSectionGroup   add=Ellipsis2
syn cluster texParaGroup            add=Ellipsis2

I have no idea why this isn't working.

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

Charles E Campbell Jr
David Woodfall wrote:

> syn sync fromstart
> syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
> syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell
> transparent
> syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
> syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2
>
> syn cluster texDocGroup             add=Ellipsis
> syn cluster texPartGroup            add=Ellipsis
> syn cluster texChapterGroup         add=Ellipsis
> syn cluster texSectionGroup         add=Ellipsis
> syn cluster texSubSectionGroup      add=Ellipsis
> syn cluster texSubSubSectionGroup   add=Ellipsis
> syn cluster texParaGroup            add=Ellipsis
>
> syn cluster texDocGroup             add=Ellipsis2
> syn cluster texPartGroup            add=Ellipsis2
> syn cluster texChapterGroup         add=Ellipsis2
> syn cluster texSectionGroup         add=Ellipsis2
> syn cluster texSubSectionGroup      add=Ellipsis2
> syn cluster texSubSubSectionGroup   add=Ellipsis2
> syn cluster texParaGroup            add=Ellipsis2
Please try the attached file instead; place in your $HOME/syntax
directory.  I tried it with the attached "junk.tex" file.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

tex.vim (1K) Download Attachment
junk.tex (963 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

David Woodfall
>David Woodfall wrote:
>> syn sync fromstart
>> syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
>> syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell
>> transparent
>> syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
>> syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2
>>
>> syn cluster texDocGroup             add=Ellipsis
>> syn cluster texPartGroup            add=Ellipsis
>> syn cluster texChapterGroup         add=Ellipsis
>> syn cluster texSectionGroup         add=Ellipsis
>> syn cluster texSubSectionGroup      add=Ellipsis
>> syn cluster texSubSubSectionGroup   add=Ellipsis
>> syn cluster texParaGroup            add=Ellipsis
>>
>> syn cluster texDocGroup             add=Ellipsis2
>> syn cluster texPartGroup            add=Ellipsis2
>> syn cluster texChapterGroup         add=Ellipsis2
>> syn cluster texSectionGroup         add=Ellipsis2
>> syn cluster texSubSectionGroup      add=Ellipsis2
>> syn cluster texSubSubSectionGroup   add=Ellipsis2
>> syn cluster texParaGroup            add=Ellipsis2
>Please try the attached file instead; place in your $HOME/syntax
>directory.  I tried it with the attached "junk.tex" file.
>
>Regards,
>Chip Campbell

Thanks. That works on .tex files but on a txt file with syn=tex in the
modeline still messes up unless I also put ft=tex in the modeline.

This is where it is falling down.

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again [vim bug found?]

Charles E Campbell Jr
David Woodfall wrote:

>> David Woodfall wrote:
>>> syn sync fromstart
>>> syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
>>> syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell
>>> transparent
>>> syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
>>> syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2
>>>
>>> syn cluster texDocGroup             add=Ellipsis
>>> syn cluster texPartGroup            add=Ellipsis
>>> syn cluster texChapterGroup         add=Ellipsis
>>> syn cluster texSectionGroup         add=Ellipsis
>>> syn cluster texSubSectionGroup      add=Ellipsis
>>> syn cluster texSubSubSectionGroup   add=Ellipsis
>>> syn cluster texParaGroup            add=Ellipsis
>>>
>>> syn cluster texDocGroup             add=Ellipsis2
>>> syn cluster texPartGroup            add=Ellipsis2
>>> syn cluster texChapterGroup         add=Ellipsis2
>>> syn cluster texSectionGroup         add=Ellipsis2
>>> syn cluster texSubSectionGroup      add=Ellipsis2
>>> syn cluster texSubSubSectionGroup   add=Ellipsis2
>>> syn cluster texParaGroup            add=Ellipsis2
>> Please try the attached file instead; place in your $HOME/syntax
>> directory.  I tried it with the attached "junk.tex" file.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chip Campbell
>
> Thanks. That works on .tex files but on a txt file with syn=tex in the
> modeline still messes up unless I also put ft=tex in the modeline.
>
> This is where it is falling down.

I haven't used the syntax option before.  It sounded like a
sourcing/sequencing problem, so I ran   vim -V10tmp junk.txt  (after
renaming junk.tex to junk.txt and appending the % vim: syn=tex
modeline).  I then used  ":g/sourcing.*tex\.vim and got:

line 24: sourcing "/home/cec/.SW/VIM/vim74/runtime/syntax/tex.vim"
finished sourcing /home/cec/.SW/VIM/vim74/runtime/syntax/tex.vim
line 24: sourcing "/home/cec/.vim/after/syntax/tex/tex.vim"
finished sourcing /home/cec/.vim/after/syntax/tex/tex.vim
line 24: sourcing "/home/cec/.vim/syntax/tex.vim"
finished sourcing /home/cec/.vim/syntax/tex.vim
line 24: sourcing "/home/cec/.SW/VIM/vim74/runtime/syntax/tex.vim"
finished sourcing /home/cec/.SW/VIM/vim74/runtime/syntax/tex.vim
line 24: sourcing "/home/cec/.vim/after/syntax/tex/tex.vim"
finished sourcing /home/cec/.vim/after/syntax/tex/tex.vim

You'll see that the runtime syntax/tex.vim got sourced again, which
wiped out the effects of .vim/syntax/tex.vim .  Furthermore,
.vim/syn/tex.vim was not sourced a second time, so its directives were
effectively lost.
I'm not sure if this is a vim bug or not  (after/syntax/tex/tex.vim is
unrelated and something I use).  I suggest moving  the
$HOME/syntax/tex.vim to $HOME/after/syntax/tex/tex.vim.
I don't have time to try that out.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

P.S. I've attached junk.txt and tex.vim for any who want to try it out.
The question is: should $HOME/syntax/tex.vim be sourced when the
modeline syn=tex is used?

junk.txt (1K) Download Attachment
tex.vim (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again

The full 3-dot ellipsis exists in Unicode as U+2026 or decimal 8230.
AFAIK there is no default digraph for it, but of course that doesn't
preclude defining one in your vimrc. I use the following in mine:

if has('digraphs') && has('multi_byte')
  dig **  8226 " • U+2022 BULLET
  dig ,,  8230 " … U+2026 HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS
" dig ff 64256 " ff U+FB00 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FF    the commented ones
" dig fi 64257 " fi U+FB01 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FI    exist by default
" dig fl 64258 " fl U+FB02 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FL
  dig qi 64259 " ffi U+FB03 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FFI
  dig ql 64260 " ffl U+FB04 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FFL
" dig ft 64261 " ſt U+FB05 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE LONG S T
" dig st 64262 " st U+FB06 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE ST

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Erik Christiansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13.06.16 14:45, David Woodfall wrote:
>> >Any ideas? (Other than renaming my txt files to tex)
>>
>> Actually, renaming doesn't work either. It seems that some things are
>> still spellchecked up the top of the document. If I put an ellipsis
>> near the end it's fine.
>>
>> Stumped...
>>
>> I'm sure there is a setting for how much of the buffer is checked, but
>> I haven't found it yet.
>
> When a problem just becomes more complex with additional effort, it can
> sometimes be worth considering alternatives. When I try substituting a
> two-dot 2/3 ellipsis, using the ^K.. digraph, vim spellchecking does not
> highlight an error.
>
> Eyeing the output of :dig, I was unable to spot a full 3-dot ellipsis,
> though ^K3. and ^K3_ did produce three dots at half character height,
> whatever they might be good for.
>
> Maybe there is a suitable digraph in there somewhere, and that could be
> mapped to Alt-E or whatever?
>
> Erik

> ---

Should Vim recognise an ellipsis? [Was: Spellcheck after Ellipsis again]

Erik Christiansen
On 13.06.16 16:29, David Woodfall wrote:
> I did once use the uft8 symbol for ellipsis, but it really killed the
> readability of it.

Ah ... yes, the spaced out dots are especially good for indicating
hesitation/thinking in dialogue or even a list reply.

Maybe we need Vim spellchecking to recognise the difference between a
single period, and three consecutive. That would eliminate the root
cause of the problem.

Another lateral thought; in my Yellow on DarkSlateGrey colourscheme
(used for more than a quarter of a century, now) the dark blue highlight
is nothing more than a subtle visual hint. It is certainly not
annoyingly obtrusive. Admittedly, false positives are never good.

Erik
(Who could no longer survive without Vim spellchecking in several
languages.)

On 14.06.16 05:57, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> if has('digraphs') && has('multi_byte')
>   dig **  8226 " • U+2022 BULLET
>   dig ,,  8230 " … U+2026 HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS
> " dig ff 64256 " ff U+FB00 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FF    the commented ones
> " dig fi 64257 " fi U+FB01 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FI    exist by default
> " dig fl 64258 " fl U+FB02 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FL
>   dig qi 64259 " ffi U+FB03 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FFI
>   dig ql 64260 " ffl U+FB04 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FFL
> " dig ft 64261 " ſt U+FB05 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE LONG S T
> " dig st 64262 " st U+FB06 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE ST
> endif

Many thanks, Tony.
I'll grab that as a basis for a tweaked set for here.

Thanks again,

Erik