Stability of .spl files?

Mikołaj Machowski
Hello,

How stable are .spl files? Bram, are you going to make some changes in
format of these files?

If no - apart from bug hunting - I could provide official(?) Polish spl
files and advertise them in few places for testing.

There will be three files in three encodings: iso-8859-2, cp1250, utf-8.

m.

Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 15 May)
 http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net

Re: Stability of .spl files?

Bram Moolenaar

Mikolaj -

> How stable are .spl files? Bram, are you going to make some changes in
> format of these files?

I'm currently writing a test for spell checking and I run into a few
small problems.  There is one change that affects the .spl file: for
postponed prefixes I need to add flags about whether combining is
allowed.  But that only changes the format for when there are postponed
prefixes, and it's backwards compatible, thus I'll keep the file ID the
same.

It's unlikely something else will change.  But you never know for
sure...  In the future it will be possible to support more than one
format to handle these changes, but since that takes extra code I don't
want to do that in the alpha versions.

> If no - apart from bug hunting - I could provide official(?) Polish spl
> files and advertise them in few places for testing.
>
> There will be three files in three encodings: iso-8859-2, cp1250, utf-8.

Did you see my other message about maintainers for spell files?  You can
distribute the .spl files, but I would also like to have the patches, so
that users can produce the .spl file themselves.

- Bram

--
If you're sending someone Styrofoam, what do you pack it in?

Re: Stability of .spl files?

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia wtorek 05 lipiec 2005 16:57, Bram Moolenaar napisa?:

> Mikolaj -
>
> > How stable are .spl files? Bram, are you going to make some changes in
> > format of these files?
>
> I'm currently writing a test for spell checking and I run into a few
> small problems.  There is one change that affects the .spl file: for
> postponed prefixes I need to add flags about whether combining is
> allowed.  But that only changes the format for when there are postponed
> prefixes, and it's backwards compatible, thus I'll keep the file ID the
> same.
>
> It's unlikely something else will change.  But you never know for
> sure...  In the future it will be possible to support more than one
> format to handle these changes, but since that takes extra code I don't
> want to do that in the alpha versions.

OK. I am leaving for two weeks on Sunday, and will create spl files
later.

> > If no - apart from bug hunting - I could provide official(?) Polish
> > spl files and advertise them in few places for testing.
> >
> > There will be three files in three encodings: iso-8859-2, cp1250,
> > utf-8.
>
> Did you see my other message about maintainers for spell files?

Yes.

> You can
> distribute the .spl files, but I would also like to have the patches, so
> that users can produce the .spl file themselves.

I've contacted with maintainers of alternative myspell dictionary which
is updated daily, is bigger than official OO.o.pl and they are will
include my REP suggestions, so I would suggest in case of Polish to use
them as base of .spl files (and diffs).

Address is:

http://www.kurnik.pl/slownik/ort/alt-myspell-pl-20050707.tar.bz2
                                                ^^^^^^^^
                                                date, changing daily

What is the status of UPP LOW and FOL lines? Trying to google myspell
docs and find it they are recognized in someway but without success.

m.

Re: Stability of .spl files?

Bram Moolenaar

Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

> > You can distribute the .spl files, but I would also like to have the
> > patches, so that users can produce the .spl file themselves.
>
> I've contacted with maintainers of alternative myspell dictionary which
> is updated daily, is bigger than official OO.o.pl and they are will
> include my REP suggestions, so I would suggest in case of Polish to use
> them as base of .spl files (and diffs).
>
> Address is:
>
> http://www.kurnik.pl/slownik/ort/alt-myspell-pl-20050707.tar.bz2
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^
> date, changing daily

Is this a better Polish word list?  Note that "better" doesn't
necessarily mean more words.  If it includes words with wrong spelling
that is very annoying, especially since they will be used for
suggestions.

And if this list is better, why doesn't OpenOffice.org use it...?

> What is the status of UPP LOW and FOL lines? Trying to google myspell
> docs and find it they are recognized in someway but without success.

I haven't contacted the Myspell people yet about my additions.  Let's
first await comments from daily use.  I might want to ask them to
consider using the .spl files.  And the suggestion mechanism, it's much
better than what Myspell is using.

If they stick with their own code I doubt the UPP/LOW/FOL lines are
useful for them.  It's not difficult to apply a patch before using the
Myspell/OpenOffice.org .dic and .aff files for Vim.

I do hope they will use the "rare word" mechanism, since it greatly
improves the spelling possibilities and suggestions.  But this must be
done on the word list, a patch do add this only for Vim would be huge.

268. You get up in the morning and go online before getting your coffee.

Re: Stability of .spl files?

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia czwartek 07 lipiec 2005 11:34, Bram Moolenaar napisa?:

> Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > > You can distribute the .spl files, but I would also like to have the
> > > patches, so that users can produce the .spl file themselves.
> >
> > I've contacted with maintainers of alternative myspell dictionary
> > which is updated daily, is bigger than official OO.o.pl and they are
> > will include my REP suggestions, so I would suggest in case of Polish
> > to use them as base of .spl files (and diffs).
> >
> > Address is:
> >
> > http://www.kurnik.pl/slownik/ort/alt-myspell-pl-20050707.tar.bz2
> >                                                 ^^^^^^^^
> > date, changing daily
>
> Is this a better Polish word list? Note that "better" doesn't
> necessarily mean more words.  If it includes words with wrong spelling
> that is very annoying, especially since they will be used for
> suggestions.

Yes, it is better in all meanings.

> And if this list is better, why doesn't OpenOffice.org use it...?

This is a question for OO.o. Probably question of stability. This list
is created daily. OO.o ca. two times a year.

> > What is the status of UPP LOW and FOL lines? Trying to google myspell
> > docs and find it they are recognized in someway but without success.
>
> I haven't contacted the Myspell people yet about my additions.  Let's
> first await comments from daily use.  I might want to ask them to
> consider using the .spl files.  And the suggestion mechanism, it's much
> better than what Myspell is using.
>
> If they stick with their own code I doubt the UPP/LOW/FOL lines are
> useful for them.  It's not difficult to apply a patch before using the
> Myspell/OpenOffice.org .dic and .aff files for Vim.

So there still has to be patch for this lines.

m.

Re: Stability of .spl files?

Bram Moolenaar

Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

> > > I've contacted with maintainers of alternative myspell dictionary
> > > which is updated daily, is bigger than official OO.o.pl and they are
> > > will include my REP suggestions, so I would suggest in case of Polish
> > > to use them as base of .spl files (and diffs).
> > >
> > > Address is:
> > >
> > > http://www.kurnik.pl/slownik/ort/alt-myspell-pl-20050707.tar.bz2
> > >                                                 ^^^^^^^^
> > > date, changing daily
> >
> > Is this a better Polish word list? Note that "better" doesn't
> > necessarily mean more words.  If it includes words with wrong spelling
> > that is very annoying, especially since they will be used for
> > suggestions.
>
> Yes, it is better in all meanings.

OK, we should use it then.

We could track the date in the Aap script with a bit of Python.  But any
applied patch might break then.  Or we could update the script once in a
while, say every month.  If the patch is simple the first option should
work.  What do you change in the files before running :mkspell?

--
MAN:    Fetchez la vache!
GUARD:  Quoi?

Re: Stability of .spl files?

Mikołaj Machowski
Dnia pi?tek 08 lipiec 2005 10:19, Bram Moolenaar napisa?:

> > Yes, it is better in all meanings.
>
> OK, we should use it then.
>
> We could track the date in the Aap script with a bit of Python.  But any
> applied patch might break then.

I am observing files for some time, checking them once per week and any
changes are going to the end of file. Patch adding 3 lines at the
beginning will not be broken.

>Or we could update the script once in a
> while, say every month.  If the patch is simple the first option should
> work.

> What do you change in the files before running :mkspell?

With addition of REPs from 20050707 I have to change nothing to generate
iso-8859-2 spl file in iso-8859-2 environment. Vim patch is necessary
only for cross generation. On MS-Windows, with translation of files to
cp1250 (by Vim or iconv) also should not require a patch.

m.

ps. This is English text of copyright notice:

English:
========

This dictionary contains more than 3,000,000 contemporary Polish
words for use in spell-checking. It is being actively developed
by a handful of people with help of a large community of literaki
players (literaki is a popular Polish crossword game).

The dictionary is licensed under a Creative Commons ShareAlike License
(see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sa/1.0) which is a GPL equivalent
for non-software works (i.e. textual, audio, visual etc.).
Creative Commons licenses are recommended by the Free Software Foundation
for types of works other than software and documentation
(see http://www.fsf.org/licenses/licenses.html#OtherWorks)

This version of the dictionary was generated on 2005-07-07
You can find the most up-to-date version at:
http://www.kurnik.pl/dictionary/

The dictionary is maintained by Marek Futrega ([hidden email])