Status of sound support in Vim

Lifepillar
What is the status of +sound in Vim? In particular, is anyone working on
adding support for macOS?

The manual has examples mentioning Ubuntu, so I infer that Ubuntu should
be supported, but I cannot get any sound. I have tried with .wav, .oga
and .ogg files, so I don't think it's a format issue. Audio is working
in my platform, as I can play sound files with ffplay and other tools
from the command line. Using Vim 8.1.2269 with +sound. Any idea how to
troubleshoot that?

Thanks,
Life.

Re: Status of sound support in Vim

Dominique Pellé
Lifepillar wrote:

> What is the status of +sound in Vim? In particular, is anyone working on
> adding support for macOS?
>
> The manual has examples mentioning Ubuntu, so I infer that Ubuntu should
> be supported, but I cannot get any sound. I have tried with .wav, .oga
> and .ogg files, so I don't think it's a format issue. Audio is working
> in my platform, as I can play sound files with ffplay and other tools
> from the command line. Using Vim 8.1.2269 with +sound. Any idea how to
> troubleshoot that?

Sound works for me on Xubuntu-18.04.
I don't really use it, it works fine with e.g. the demo game:
 https://github.com/vim/killersheep

For macOs, I see that ":help todo" has this item:

=== BEGIN QUOTE  :help todo ===
  Sound: support on Mac?  Or does libcanberra work there?
=== END QUOTE ===

Regards
Dominique

Re: Status of sound support in Vim

Bram Moolenaar

Dominique wrote:

> Lifepillar wrote:
>
> > What is the status of +sound in Vim? In particular, is anyone working on
> > adding support for macOS?
> >
> > The manual has examples mentioning Ubuntu, so I infer that Ubuntu should
> > be supported, but I cannot get any sound. I have tried with .wav, .oga
> > and .ogg files, so I don't think it's a format issue. Audio is working
> > in my platform, as I can play sound files with ffplay and other tools
> > from the command line. Using Vim 8.1.2269 with +sound. Any idea how to
> > troubleshoot that?
>
> Sound works for me on Xubuntu-18.04.
> I don't really use it, it works fine with e.g. the demo game:
>  https://github.com/vim/killersheep
>
> For macOs, I see that ":help todo" has this item:
>
> === BEGIN QUOTE  :help todo ===
>   Sound: support on Mac?  Or does libcanberra work there?
> === END QUOTE ===

Right, it requires someone to find out the way to implement it on Mac.
It should be able to play .mp3 or .ogg file.  Hopefully both.

--
FIRST VILLAGER: We have found a witch.  May we burn her?

On 2020-07-05, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dominique wrote:
>
>> Lifepillar wrote:
>>
>> > What is the status of +sound in Vim? In particular, is anyone working on
>> > adding support for macOS?
>> >
>> > The manual has examples mentioning Ubuntu, so I infer that Ubuntu should
>> > be supported, but I cannot get any sound. I have tried with .wav, .oga
>> > and .ogg files, so I don't think it's a format issue. Audio is working
>> > in my platform, as I can play sound files with ffplay and other tools
>> > from the command line. Using Vim 8.1.2269 with +sound. Any idea how to
>> > troubleshoot that?
>>
>> Sound works for me on Xubuntu-18.04.
>> I don't really use it, it works fine with e.g. the demo game:
>>  https://github.com/vim/killersheep

Apparently, there is something wrong in my box then. Thanks for
double checking... and for the link!

>> For macOs, I see that ":help todo" has this item:
>>
>> === BEGIN QUOTE  :help todo ===
>>   Sound: support on Mac?  Or does libcanberra work there?
>> === END QUOTE ===
>
> Right, it requires someone to find out the way to implement it on Mac.

I guess that it is not trivial, but I remain hopeful.

On 2020-07-05, Lifepillar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2020-07-05, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dominique wrote:

>>> Sound works for me on Xubuntu-18.04.
>>> I don't really use it, it works fine with e.g. the demo game:
>>>  https://github.com/vim/killersheep
>
> Apparently, there is something wrong in my box then. Thanks for
> double checking... and for the link!

For the record, this was something as silly as having System Sounds
turned off in Ubuntu's Sound Settings (:blush:)

Life.

Re: Status of sound support in Vim

Richard Mitchell

On 2020-07-05, Lifepillar <lifep> wrote:

For the record, this was something as silly as having System Sounds
turned off in Ubuntu's Sound Settings (:blush:)

Life.

I'm confused.

I thought the initial question was specifically asking about sound on macOS ( the operating system, not the hardware)
but the solution was a setting in Ubuntu, a different operating system.

On 2020-07-06, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> working on
>>
>> For the record, this was something as silly as having System Sounds
>> turned off in Ubuntu's Sound Settings (:blush:)
>>
>> Life.
>>

> I'm confused.
>
> I thought the initial question was specifically asking about sound on macOS
> ( the operating system, not the hardware)
> but the solution was a setting in Ubuntu, a different operating system.

In fact, I have asked two questions:

1. What is the status on macOS? (Bram: still on todo list, no ETA)
2. As +sound in Linux is implemented, why am I not getting any sound?
   (Answering myself: silly overview on my part)

Life.