Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

12

Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

epanda
Hi,

I am currently using Gvim 7.2 rebuild with this new toolbar.

I think :

1. Gvim has to improve its visual interface to seduce new users.

1.a I suggest the toolbar in 48px size border mixed with the existing menu => Gvim takes a new look AND you can attach your new vimscript plugin to a visual icon

1.b In the futur, to enable a slide feature to this toolbar in order to permit to add dynamically more icons than the toolbar's width permit it.

2. Think that several existing Icon of current gvim 7.2 toolbar are obsolete meanwhile....
.....meanwhile today everybody use usb key..... so I think we have to develop some vimscript around this usb key.

2. a. Some script to store or retrieve data like vimfiles into/to usb key (see usb key icon), I have done a vimscript

2. b. To develop many features around managing _vimrc and vimfiles to usb key in order to be able to work everywhere with gvim.

So, I can work for the community to add this new toolbar to Gvim 7.3 release if enough people agree with my thoughts.

Thank you to see my jpg joined.
Epanda.
French. Gvim Evangelist

Vous voulez protéger votre vie privée ? La solution avec Internet Explorer 8

myVimToolbar.jpg (164K) Download Attachment

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Bram Moolenaar

Nico Io wrote:

> I am currently using Gvim 7.2 rebuild with this new toolbar.
> I think :
> 1. Gvim has to improve its visual interface to seduce new users.
> 1.a I suggest the toolbar in 48px size border mixed with the
> existing menu => Gvim takes a new look AND you can attach your
> new vimscript plugin to a visual icon
> 1.b In the futur, to enable a slide feature to this toolbar in
> order to permit to add dynamically more icons than the toolbar's
> width permit it.
> 2. Think that several existing Icon of current gvim 7.2 toolbar are
> obsolete meanwhile.........meanwhile today everybody use usb key.....
> so I think we have to develop some vimscript around this usb key.
> 2. a. Some script to store or retrieve data like vimfiles
> into/to usb key (see usb key icon), I have done a vimscript
> 2. b. To develop many features around managing _vimrc and
> vimfiles to usb key in order to be able to work everywhere with
> gvim.
>
> So, I can work for the community to add this new toolbar to Gvim 7.3
> release if enough people agree with my thoughts.
> Thank you to see my jpg joined.Epanda.French. Gvim Evangelist

Well, it looks nice, but it takes a lot of space.  Vim users tend to be
very practical.  Quite a few people disable the toolbar.

Perhaps we can use this for Easy Vim (evim)?

"usb key".  Do you mean USB stick?  Isn't that just another place to
store files?

If you mean you would like to store your Vim configuration in a way you
can move it to other computers, that's indeed useful.  But tricky to
make work.  Probably requires the user to put their Vim files in
specific places.

--
The CIA drives around in cars with the "Intel inside" logo.

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

On 08/06/10 21:08, nico io wrote:
> Hi,

Hi. I don't know why you're suddenly "nico io" after having been
"epanda" — and neither name sounds authentic — but I don't mind. I think
that your proposal is serious and, as a sign of respect from someone who
doesn't share your opinions in this domain, I have taken the time to
write a point-by-point rebuttal. Don't take it badly: I think there is
room for argument, especially if other people join the debate.

> I am currently using Gvim 7.2 rebuild with this new toolbar.
>
> I think :
>
> 1. Gvim has to improve its visual interface to seduce new users.

I don't think Vim is the kind of software which "seduces" new users by
its pretty toolbars. What keeps Vim users faithful is sheer editing
power (but it takes time for them to realize just how powerful Vim can be).

I don't know what kinds of toolbars there are in XEmacs, but they could
be as sexy as you like, they won't make me switch editors. In general I
prefer no-nonsense looks with everything where I need it, to flashy
stuff where half of what I need is missing or tucked away. Happily the
gvim toolbar, in its present size, doesn't bother me too much so I keep
it displayed even though I practically never use it, but if it played
too much the game of the frog trying to be a bull, I would quickly add
":set go-=T" to my vimrc.

> 1.a I suggest the toolbar in 48px size border mixed with the existing
> menu => Gvim takes a new look AND you can attach your new vimscript
> plugin to a visual icon

Like Bram, I think that a 48px high toolbar takes up a lot of space.
IMHO 32px is a maximum, it might perhaps be possible to make do with 24.
This said, if this new toolbar can be installed by the user _instead_ of
the "normal" one without recompiling gvim, by adding some statement in
the vimrc, then why not? But not as default.

> 1.b In the futur, to enable a slide feature to this toolbar in order to
> permit to add dynamically more icons than the toolbar's width permit it.

The only reason you feel that this is necessary is because you've
installed huge buttons. Yours take up about 80% of the width, mine about
66 or 70%, and it looks to me like there is room for many more buttons —
if desired, which is not obvious.

> 2. Think that several existing Icon of current gvim 7.2 toolbar are
> obsolete meanwhile....
> .....meanwhile today everybody use usb key..... so I think we have to
> develop some vimscript around this usb key.

To Vim a USB key is just a place to store files, it is no different from
a disk: in today's Unix language it's "a filesystem", in the language I
used 40 years ago on Honeywell mainframes it's "a mass-storage device".

Also, if USB drives are so hip, why are you displaying (obsolete)
diskettes as the icons for your "Save" and "Save all" buttons? Probably
because anyone will recognize that they are disks, which is not
necessarily the case with a CD icon...

> 2. a. Some script to store or retrieve data like vimfiles into/to usb
> key (see usb key icon), I have done a vimscript

No need for a script. Retrieve with ":e foobar.baz", store with ":w" or
":saveas bazbar.foo". Include paths as needed, or :cd to the USB drive
beforehand.

> 2. b. To develop many features around managing _vimrc and vimfiles to
> usb key in order to be able to work everywhere with gvim.

I think there is a project about that somewhere, to be able to use "the
same" Vim setup on several computers, but it isn't obvious to make it
work. You couldn't rasily take advantage of 64-bit processors if you
have to keep compatibility with another computer's 32-bit one. And try
as you will, a single executable won't work on any two of Windows, Linux
and Mac, even if all three have the same Intel processor. Also,
self-installers (as used on Windows) and .dmg "disk image" archives (as
used on the Mac) have their advantages.

> So, I can work for the community to add this new toolbar to Gvim 7.3
> release if enough people agree with my thoughts.

Even though there are already a lot of improvements in gvim 7.3a
compared to 7.2, it is still a minor release. There were much more
important changes between 6 and 7, and yet (with the exception of a tab
bar) the look of gvim didn't change at all. I think that if we want a
radical change of gvim's look and feel, it would be for Vim 8 at the
earliest. Unless, as I said, the present look can be kept as default,
with the possibility to change it to yours by some command in the vimrc,
or maybe in a colorscheme.

> Thank you to see my jpg joined.
> Epanda.
> French. Gvim Evangelist

Finally, IIUC,  builds of gvim for various OSes borrow their toolbar
buttons from the corresponding GUI themes. My toolbar buttons come from
Gnome, not from Bram (or rather, Bram wrote the source so that gvim for
GTK2/Gnome2 GUI borrows its buttons from Gnome): for instance, the
button "Choose a Vim script to run" for the "Toolbar.RunScript" menu is
a smaller but exact copy of the "cogwheels" button on my Gnome taskbar,
whose tooltip says "Run an application by typing a command or choosing
from a list".

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root          24 Oct 29  1929 /bin/ed
-rwxr-xr-t  4 root      131720 Jan  1  1970 /usr/ucb/vi
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  5.89824e37 Oct 22  1990 /usr/bin/emacs

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Thilo Six
Bram Moolenaar wrote the following on 08.06.2010 23:30

<snip>

> "usb key".  Do you mean USB stick?  Isn't that just another place to
> store files?
>
> If you mean you would like to store your Vim configuration in a way you
> can move it to other computers, that's indeed useful.  But tricky to
> make work.  Probably requires the user to put their Vim files in
> specific places.

Maybe have a look at this:
http://portableapps.com/apps/development/gvim_portable

--
bye Thilo

4096R/0xC70B1A8F
721B 1BA0 095C 1ABA 3FC6  7C18 89A4 A2A0 C70B 1A8F

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Charles-14
On Jun 9, 2:08 am, nico io <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using Gvim 7.2 rebuild with this new toolbar.
> I think :
> 1. Gvim has to improve its visual interface to seduce new users.

Hi,

Speaking about improving gvim interface (at least for gvim on
windows), I have patched gui_w32.c to...
- using IMAGELIST to store the icons, thus enabling the user of 32-bit
transparent bmp for toolbar icons (on XP upwards only)
and showing the bevel effect on toolbar icons on mouse over (hot-
tracking). This would make it easier to use existing icon theme that
usually comes in PNG. Converting PNG to 8 colors BMP usually results
in bad looking icons, but converting to 32 bit BMP will retains the
icon quality.
- draw the toolbar background as rebar (the gradient on explorer
toolbar on default xp theme)

Changed files (synchronized with latest vim73 branch):
http://sites.google.com/site/chardocs/gui_w32.c
http://sites.google.com/site/chardocs/gui.h

How it looks: http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/vim.png
(using fugue icons http://www.pinvoke.com/)

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Tony Mechelynck
On 09/06/10 11:28, char101 wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2:08 am, nico io<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently using Gvim 7.2 rebuild with this new toolbar.
>> I think :
>> 1. Gvim has to improve its visual interface to seduce new users.
>
> Hi,
>
> Speaking about improving gvim interface (at least for gvim on
> windows), I have patched gui_w32.c to...
> - using IMAGELIST to store the icons, thus enabling the user of 32-bit
> transparent bmp for toolbar icons (on XP upwards only)
> and showing the bevel effect on toolbar icons on mouse over (hot-
> tracking). This would make it easier to use existing icon theme that
> usually comes in PNG. Converting PNG to 8 colors BMP usually results
> in bad looking icons, but converting to 32 bit BMP will retains the
> icon quality.
> - draw the toolbar background as rebar (the gradient on explorer
> toolbar on default xp theme)
>
> Changed files (synchronized with latest vim73 branch):
> http://sites.google.com/site/chardocs/gui_w32.c
> http://sites.google.com/site/chardocs/gui.h
>
> How it looks: http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/vim.png
> (using fugue icons http://www.pinvoke.com/)

Hm, just for the record, here is what gvim looks like under GTK2, with
the built-in icon set:
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/gvim.png

I guess these "beautiful" icons are part of the reason why I feel no
pressing urge to change them.

The taskbar at bottom is of course not part of Vim, but compare the
"gears" icon at bottom left with the one on the Vim toolbar, above and
slightly to the left of the hjkl diamond in the help.

"Murphy's Law, that brash proletarian restatement of Godel's Theorem ..."
                -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

RE: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Steve Hall-3
From: Tony Mechelynck, Wed, June 09, 2010 10:23 am
> On 09/06/10 11:28, char101 wrote:
> > On Jun 9, 2:08 am, nico io wrote:
> > >
> > > I am currently using Gvim 7.2 rebuild with this new toolbar.
[...]
> Hm, just for the record, here is what gvim looks like under GTK2, with
> the built-in icon set:
> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/gvim.png
>
> I guess these "beautiful" icons are part of the reason why I feel no
> pressing urge to change them.

I'll chime in with agreement, these defaults came out Tango:

http://tango.freedesktop.org/

which in my mind gets it right for clarity AND avoiding the glossy
Apple OS X look which went out of style about five years ago. (Now
avoided by even Apple themselves.)

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Charles-14
On Jun 9, 9:23 pm, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Hm, just for the record, here is what gvim looks like under GTK2, with
> the built-in icon set:http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/gvim.png
>
> I guess these "beautiful" icons are part of the reason why I feel no
> pressing urge to change them.

Hi,

When I use linux, I also think that gvim interface is just as good as
other editor, e.g. gedit. It's gvim on windows which looks kind of
old.

I see that gvim picks the right 24x24 pixels icon while the menu
button use the 32x32 variant, and tango provides a slightly different
icons for each size. Fortunately for gvim on linux which is
implemented using gtk, that gtk provides such service of picking theme
icon.

Tango icons are nice, but still they are 24 bit tansparent png's which
cannot be used on gvim on windows without modification to gvim
handling of toolbar icons.

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Charles-14
On Jun 9, 3:09 pm, Thilo Six <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe have a look at this:http://portableapps.com/apps/development/gvim_portable

Gvim on windows is already portable. The key is to add to vimrc:

let $HOME=$VIM

I layout gvim files like this

vim/
- runtime/
- vimfiles/
- gvim.exe
- vimrc
- gvimrc
- _viminfo

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

epanda
I really thanks char101 to share my opinion that on windows Gvim which
looks kind of old.
I forgot to mention this detail => I am currently using gvim on Win32
OS, I have worked on Unix Solaris during 8 years too.

I don't think we always have to separate powerful inner features of
vim (that I love) to its look like suggested Tom.

In the period we live in, with High Definition Wide Screen, I maintain
that 32 or 48px give a really good look to gvim'toolbar and
the idea of sliding those wide icons is both not innocent and may will
be the little detail that will convince some more young people to use
gvim in the futur.

About usb stick(sorry Bram), it was just a proposal suggestion to
think in deep and develop. I have my own vimscript that permit me to
use gvim with same configuration on a lot of computers for my job.

So I hope that I convince you that beautiful is not the opposite of
powerful.   And those words have no link with easyvim or vim mode use.

Thank you char101, I will use you gui_w32 modified.
Epanda (means little animal on email world)

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Kazuo Teramoto-2
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM, epanda <[hidden email]> wrote:
If Tony dont alerted me, I though this is another one not related to
'nico io'. I this list, usually people use real names. Or stick to
only one nick.

> In the period we live in, with High Definition Wide Screen, I maintain
> that 32 or 48px give a really good look to gvim'toolbar and
> the idea of sliding those wide icons is both not innocent and may will
> be the little detail that will convince some more young people to use
> gvim in the futur.

I dont think that vim is made to attract 'young people'. Its mean to
attract someone that need a powerful editor, not only developers but
people that edit plain text files in general. That is a different
niche.

For 'young people' exist others editor more suitable to be "good looking".

I'm really vote down the idea of "seduce new users" via attractive
look, vim attract user by the mean of  *text editor* features, let me
repeat it: *text editor*. When people try to convince you to use vim,
they dont talk about toolbar the talk about the über cool features it
has.

And about icons, I prefer small icons and small fonts, the small that
they can be. 16px is a good size for me, and I have a "High Definition
Wide Screen". For me big icons (>22px) are ugly.

> So I hope that I convince you that beautiful is not the opposite of
> powerful.   And those words have no link with easyvim or vim mode use.

No, its not. I share this opinion too. But, vim and a toolbar dont
really fit. Vim is mean to used with keyboard if you are clicking on
icons you are doing it wrong...

If you want a beautiful vim, you need to look for color schemes and
things like this.

The problem with you idea it that you targeted a wrong audience (i.e.
the vim users).

Unix users usually are more minimalist, and vim users usually are more
unix like users.

"Small is beautiful." Mike Gancarz

Regards,
Kazuo

--
«Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
Marie Sklodowska Curie.

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Luis Carvalho
<snip>

> I dont think that vim is made to attract 'young people'. Its mean to
> attract someone that need a powerful editor, not only developers but
> people that edit plain text files in general. That is a different
> niche.
>
> For 'young people' exist others editor more suitable to be "good looking".
>
> I'm really vote down the idea of "seduce new users" via attractive
> look, vim attract user by the mean of  *text editor* features, let me
> repeat it: *text editor*. When people try to convince you to use vim,
> they dont talk about toolbar the talk about the über cool features it
> has.
>
> And about icons, I prefer small icons and small fonts, the small that
> they can be. 16px is a good size for me, and I have a "High Definition
> Wide Screen". For me big icons (>22px) are ugly.

I think we're mixing two points that are not necessarily exclusive: a nice
interface and powerful features. Aesthetics can be relevant even for the power
user; it's not a matter of being young or old, newbie or seasoned.

Without going to extremes -- no toolbar vs 48px icons -- how can we have a
more uniform interface? Gnome/GTK2 users seem to be pretty happy (I'm one of
them, btw). Why can't we also please Windows users?

> > So I hope that I convince you that beautiful is not the opposite of
> > powerful.   And those words have no link with easyvim or vim mode use.
> >

> No, its not. I share this opinion too. But, vim and a toolbar dont
> really fit. Vim is mean to used with keyboard if you are clicking on
> icons you are doing it wrong...

Of course, if you can always :set go-=T, then the toolbar is irrelevant for
you. The problem is not having a toolbar users don't like, but having a
toolbar that users enjoy.

> If you want a beautiful vim, you need to look for color schemes and
> things like this.

As well.

> The problem with you idea it that you targeted a wrong audience (i.e.
> the vim users).

I think he targeted a narrow audience that shared his taste on interface
(large icons). It doesn't mean he has no point. Some other users in this list
agreed that the Windows toolbar feels old.

> Unix users usually are more minimalist, and vim users usually are more
> unix like users.

Sure, and these users are already covered, right? You can always use the
terminal... That's not the point.

> "Small is beautiful." Mike Gancarz

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler", Einstein's
razor.

Again, I think we should look for more "uniformity" in the interface, which
would mean a more aesthetic, modern toolbar for the Windows version, similar
to what we already have in the Gnome/GTK2 interface. Being attractive and/or
appealing is a consequence.

Cheers,
Luis

                -- Pablo Picasso

--
Luis Carvalho (Kozure)
lua -e 'print((("[hidden email]"):gsub("(%u+%.)","")))'

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

L. A. Walsh
nico io wrote:

>   Hi,
>

> I am currently using Gvim 7.2 rebuild with this new toolbar.
>
> I think :
>
> 1. Gvim has to improve its visual interface to seduce new users.
>
> 1.a I suggest the toolbar in 48px size border mixed with the existing
> menu => Gvim takes a new look AND you can attach your new vimscript
> plugin to a visual icon
----
I think having an option for a larger border would be great.  If we could have
options for smaller/larger icons -- would a great feature.  Not everyone likes
small icons.  Though long-time users often turn them off entirely,
I can easily see it appealing to different segments of users.

If the icons are that large, would it be logical to default to a larger
initial font as well to keep them aesthetically proportional?

I agree -- having a new look that a Windows installer might offer or default
to for new users would offer a fresh look.  We should make sure it doesn't
interfere with existing usrs (unless they want it), but fresh looks are often
used in rest of world to freshen up a product.

Linda

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Kazuo Teramoto-2
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Luis Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Of course, if you can always :set go-=T, then the toolbar is irrelevant for
> you. The problem is not having a toolbar users don't like, but having a
> toolbar that users enjoy.
[snip]

>> Unix users usually are more minimalist, and vim users usually are more
>> unix like users.
>
> Sure, and these users are already covered, right? You can always use the
> terminal... That's not the point.

Yes this is the point.

So its ok to implement a email client/nttp reader/web
browser/bittorrent client in vim if you can disable then with :set
vim-=emacs? No its not, its plain wrong.

Unix philosophy is not about software usage, is about software
*development*. Is about decision you made on writing them. You can't
go and implement all the cool features that exist for the sake of
implementing it.

So, no the unix user are not covered, because for they what matter is
software development. Dont matter if this can be disabled.

I always used lftp with joy, but when they implemented bittorrent
support, I stopped using it. Why? Because its wrong for a ftp client
support a protocol completely divergent. And I know of lot of ppl that
stopped too, and its is, in my opinion, the best ftp client.

Unix users are not blind to this matters like windows users (all this,
is about "generic" users, not about all), for they how software are
implemented is part of how good is a software. And vim have a lot of
unix heritage.

Regards,
Kazuo

--
«Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
Marie Sklodowska Curie.

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Luis Carvalho
> >> Unix users usually are more minimalist, and vim users usually are more
> >> unix like users.
> >
> > Sure, and these users are already covered, right? You can always use the
> > terminal... That's not the point.
> >

> Yes this is the point.
>
> So its ok to implement a email client/nttp reader/web
> browser/bittorrent client in vim if you can disable then with :set
> vim-=emacs? No its not, its plain wrong.
<snip>

But the toolbar is already implemented. We're not discussing adding a new
feature, but changing an existing one, so you lost me with the whole unix
apologia.

Cheers,
Luis

                -- Pablo Picasso

--
Luis Carvalho (Kozure)
lua -e 'print((("[hidden email]"):gsub("(%u+%.)","")))'

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

epanda
I am sorry to suggest to you the idea of improving toolbar.

I didn't think that it cause so many discussions.

In order to finish this thread, I just want to say :

1- I know emacs and opposed to its philosophy, in french I maybe be
call it "une usine à gaz" (~gas plant ~complicated thing that do
breakfeast, refueling and others things that we don't need).

2- I love gvim's powerfull features and I am using :exec any commands
since 8 years so I KNOW

3- I would say next generation instead of young people so I'am sorry
for my poor english... I think it is important to make next generation
to envy using gvim.

4- I am pretty sure that in the futur we will no have problem with
screen's size.... so it's not a problem of 48 or 32px icon's size (we
can add a parameter to satisfy this user preference)
=> I think the real problem is a technical one : how sliding this
toolbar if we want to add N icons (maybe 20 or 50) dynamically with
this configuration
amenu icon=myicon.bmp    ToolBar.SourceMyVimFiles :so $HOME/_vimrc<CR>

5-The target audience : I think I am not missing about the audience
but I think I add or enhance a new feature to those who
would like to attach their manual commands/vimscript that we are all
doing at least once but like Bram say in its video :
Gain time : do things one time as possible.

That's my philosophy : doing some manual tasks with :youtask and then,
when it is ok, attach it to an icon like or a mapped key.

I regret that suggesting a thing that I considered as a minimal
feature (not a "usine à gaz") in order to enhance gvim use,
I regret that it has induced so many conflicting opinions.

I just notice that women as Linda are not opposed to that but have a
positive criticism.

nb: excuse me for my poor english, I am a french user of gvim

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

MarcWeber
I've switched off toolbars for over two years - I never used them.
They take away some of the screen. That's my preference.

Anyway looking at this discussion I wonder whether we want customizable
"themes" - the way you can customize Firefox and many other
applications?

Maybe there should be a
:seticonstetdir=....

Then you can put iconthemes on www.vim.org and distribute them a
splugins.

Marc Weber

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Erik Falor
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 05:24:01PM -0300, Kazuo Teramoto wrote:
> I always used lftp with joy, but when they implemented bittorrent
> support, I stopped using it. Why? Because its wrong for a ftp client
> support a protocol completely divergent. And I know of lot of ppl that
> stopped too, and its is, in my opinion, the best ftp client.

Wow, lftp has support for bittorrent?  I may never use
bittorrent-curses again!

I understand where you are coming from, Kazuo, but I must say that I'm
in the "aesthetics and functionality aren't mutually exclusive" camp.

While I would not use the toolbar in Gvim at any size, I don't think
it hurts to make it at least look nice.  If fashion dictates that Gvim
needs a toolbar which is 48px tall, then I say that we should put
together a knock-your-socks-off toolbar.  The kind of users who feel
that is a waste of space surely have already discovered :set go-=T.

That said, I feel that educating potential users about Vim's huge
productivity features would be a better use of effort.  No matter how
nice the toolbar looks, that alone won't keep a user hooked through
the "insert mode is weird" phase of the learning curve.  But if more
people knew about text objects, the time/energy savings could make
Keanu Reeves happy again.

--
Erik Falor

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Thilo Six wrote:

> Bram Moolenaar wrote the following on 08.06.2010 23:30
>
> seem my first mail didn´t made it through. resending...
>
> <snip>
>
> > "usb key".  Do you mean USB stick?  Isn't that just another place to
> > store files?
> >
> > If you mean you would like to store your Vim configuration in a way you
> > can move it to other computers, that's indeed useful.  But tricky to
> > make work.  Probably requires the user to put their Vim files in
> > specific places.
>
> Maybe have a look at this:
> http://portableapps.com/apps/development/gvim_portable
>
> It is an portable version of vim 7.2 (including runtime). Just extract it to
> any directory and run it from there (obviously windows only).

I looked at that page but don't see what is different from normal Vim.
I'm not going to spend time digging it up.
"Windows only" sounds bad.

187. You promise yourself that you'll only stay online for another
     15 minutes...at least once every hour.

Re: Suggest a Gvim 7.3 new look

Mikołaj Machowski
On Saturday 12 June 2010 06:43:54 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> > It is an portable version of vim 7.2 (including runtime). Just extract it
> > to any directory and run it from there (obviously windows only).
>
> I looked at that page but don't see what is different from normal Vim.
> I'm not going to spend time digging it up.
> "Windows only" sounds bad.

Portable means you can start it from pendrive or whatever without need to use
registry. There is whole industry on Windows around that concept :)

m.

12