SunOs 5.9

luke-44
Hi.

I'm using a sunos 5.9 box and trying to edit files with VI.
The problem is that whenever I use the arrow keys in 'insert' mode, I get 'A',
'B', 'C', 'D' instead of the desired cursor movement.

I'm using putty to ssh into this box.

What can I change in vi to make it obey?
Do I need to use some form of terminal emulation for putty in order to get it to
work?

Thanks.
Kr.
Luke.
--
............._..
.|  .| |.|/.|_ .
.|__.|_|.|\.|_ .
:61 421 276 282:

Re: SunOs 5.9

Chris Allen
> I'm using a sunos 5.9 box and trying to edit files with VI.
> The problem is that whenever I use the arrow keys in 'insert' mode, I get 'A',
> 'B', 'C', 'D' instead of the desired cursor movement.
>
> I'm using putty to ssh into this box.

Generally this is a result of having the wrong terminal type set on
the remote host.  If you use echo $TERM you will be able to see what
terminal type you are using.

A similar problem came up a few days ago, and the answer to that might
help you, too.  See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vim/message/62248

As a quick and dirty fix you might try setting your terminal type to
vt100 or xterm and see which ones work best for you.

HTH,
Chris Allen

Re: SunOs 5.9

Matthew Kasun
Are you sure you are using VIM and not the stock VI supplied by Sun?

--
complexity ->
Stupidity is overwhelmed;
Intelligence deals with ease;
But genius eliminates it

Re: SunOs 5.9

luke-44
Hi.

06Oct2005 @ 07:53 Matthew Kasun thusly spake
> Are you sure you are using VIM and not the stock VI supplied by Sun?

Good point.
I tried that.
It turns out that ':help term' did the job.
I used 'set term=ansi'

Thanks for your help.

KR.
Luke.