Switching between windows using shift AND SELECT-MODE (Was: Switching between split buffers using keystrokes)

Switching between windows using shift AND SELECT-MODE (Was: Switching between split buffers using keystrokes)

Eric Leenman
Fritz,

I was wundering, seeing that you used the shift to move between windows,
did you also remap the SELECT-MODE?
AFAIK this isn't possible, but I'm not a VIM expert.
Or don't you use/need SELECT-MODE?

IIUC <shift-left> or <shift-right> in normal and insert mode is the
default for SELECT-MODE.
(In insert mode its even (insert)- SELECT , but I don't know the
difference)

Best Regards

Eric

[...snipped...]

gVim only: I have the following lines in my  .gvimrc file.
So I can use   <Shift><arrow> to change the windows.
Regards,
Fritz
"
"-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
" Moving cursor to other windows
"
" shift down   : change window focus to lower one (cyclic)
" shift up     : change window focus to upper one (cyclic)
" shift left   : change window focus to one on left
" shift right  : change window focus to one on right
"-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
"
nmap <s-down>   <c-w>w
nmap <s-up>     <c-w>W
nmap <s-left>   <c-w>h
nmap <s-right>  <c-w>l
"

Disclaimer; The information contained in this communication is confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to recieve it.
Use of this information, in whatever way, by others is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. GREEFA does not accept legal responsibility
for this e-mail message due to the insecure nature of internet
communications.

for this e-mail message due to the insecure nature of internet
communications.

Re: Switching between windows using shift AND SELECT-MODE (Was: Switching between split buffers using keystrokes)

Eric Leenman wrote:

> Fritz,
>
> I was wundering, seeing that you used the shift to move between windows,
> did you also remap the SELECT-MODE?
> AFAIK this isn't possible, but I'm not a VIM expert.
> Or don't you use/need SELECT-MODE?
>
> IIUC <shift-left> or <shift-right> in normal and insert mode is the
> default for SELECT-MODE.
> (In insert mode its even (insert)- SELECT , but I don't know the
> difference)
>
> Best Regards
>
> Eric
>
> [...snipped...]
>
> gVim only: I have the following lines in my  .gvimrc file.
> So I can use   <Shift><arrow> to change the windows.
> Regards,
> Fritz
> "
> "-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --------
> " Moving cursor to other windows
> "
> " shift down   : change window focus to lower one (cyclic)
> " shift up     : change window focus to upper one (cyclic)
> " shift left   : change window focus to one on left
> " shift right  : change window focus to one on right
> "-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --------
> "
> nmap <s-down>   <c-w>w
> nmap <s-up>     <c-w>W
> nmap <s-left>   <c-w>h
> nmap <s-right>  <c-w>l
> "
>

> Disclaimer; The information contained in this communication is confidential
> and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual
> or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to recieve it.
> Use of this information, in whatever way, by others is strictly prohibited
> and may be unlawful. GREEFA does not accept legal responsibility
> for this e-mail message due to the insecure nature of internet
> communications.

So you mapped the shift-arrows and now you want to get them back
elsewhere? Easy. Use nonrecursive mappings, here's an example:

        :inoremap <F1> <S-Home>
        :inoremap <F6> <S-Left>
        :inoremap <F7> <S-Down>
        :inoremap <F8> <S-Up>
        :inoremap <F9> <S-Right>
        :inoremap <F12> <S-End>

RE: Switching between windows using shift AND SELECT-MODE (Was: Switching between split buffers using keystrokes)

Eric Leenman
Sorry for not making myself clear, but that's not what I ment.
Let me rephrase the question.
Can you tell VIM to go in or out SELECT-MODE?
Like you can tell it to go into VISUAL BLOCK MODE for example?

[...snipped...]

So you mapped the shift-arrows and now you want to get them back
elsewhere? Easy. Use nonrecursive mappings, here's an example:

        :inoremap <F1> <S-Home>
        :inoremap <F6> <S-Left>
        :inoremap <F7> <S-Down>
        :inoremap <F8> <S-Up>
        :inoremap <F9> <S-Right>
        :inoremap <F12> <S-End>

Disclaimer; The information contained in this communication is confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to recieve it.
Use of this information, in whatever way, by others is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. GREEFA does not accept legal responsibility
for this e-mail message due to the insecure nature of internet
communications.

Re: Switching between windows using shift AND SELECT-MODE (Was: Switching between split buffers using keystrokes)

A.J.Mechelynck
Eric Leenman wrote:
> Sorry for not making myself clear, but that's not what I ment.
> Let me rephrase the question.
> Can you tell VIM to go in or out SELECT-MODE?
> Like you can tell it to go into VISUAL BLOCK MODE for example?

See ":help Select-mode" about the various possible ways to go into
Select mode, depending (in some cases) on which options are set to which
settings. Notice in particular the gh gH and g^H Normal-mode commands.

To go out of Select mode and back to Normal mode without operating on
the selection, press Esc or Ctrl-\ Ctrl-N.

HTH,

RE: Switching between windows using shift AND SELECT-MODE (Was: Switching between split buffers using keystrokes)

David Fishburn

Can I ask why you use SELECT mode at all?
That was the first thing I turned off when I first started using Vim.
Visual mode is far superior, so I have never had a need for it.

Dave