Syntax definition problem

Guido Van Hoecke
I am trying to set up a syntaxfile, with a.o. following lines
syntax keyword ahkKeyName RCtrl
syntax keyword ahkKeyName RShift
syntax keyword ahkKeyName Enter
syntax match ahkComment /;.*$/
syntax match ahkHotkey /^[^;]\+::/
highlight link ahkComment Comment
highlight link ahkHotkey Tag
highlight link ahkKeyname Type

The file to be syntax-highlighted has a.o. following lines:
^#p::Run, appwiz.cpl ;;Add/remove programs dialog
^#r::Run, regedit.exe  ;;Regedit
+ RCtrl & RShift::AltTab ;;AltTab Forward
RCtrl & Enter::ShiftAltTab ;;AltTab Backward

The start of the three first lines in this file, thus everything up
to the :: is highlighted as ahkHotkey.

I expected this for the first two lines.

I thought that the Rctrl and Rshift words in the third line should
be highlighted as ahkKeyName. But they are not, they are highlighted
as ahkHotkey, up to and including the ::. Does this not conflict
with usr_44.txt, line 149: 'Keywords overrule any other syntax item.'?

Now on to the fourth line. Here both RCtrl and Enter are highlighted
as ahkKeyname (Type thus). Why does this happen in the fourth line
and not in the third?

Furthermore, on the fourth line, the remainder of the characters
that do belong to the ahkHotkey definition (thus the & and the ::)
are not highlighted at all.

I am very new to syntax definition and would like some clarification
about the above,

TIA,

Guido.

Re: Syntax definition problem

Altukhou Yury
Hello Guido,
      Try this:
syntax keyword ahkKeyName RCtrl
syntax keyword ahkKeyName RShift
syntax keyword ahkKeyName Enter
syntax match     ahkComment /;.*/
syntax match ahkHotkey /[^;]*::/ contains=ahkKeyName
highlight link ahkComment Comment
highlight link ahkHotkey Tag
highlight link ahkKeyname Type

          I think it will work the way You want.
          See
          :h syn-contains

          And I can hardly explain why /^[^;]\+::/ doesn't work the
          way we think it have to.

 Wind                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Syntax definition problem

Guido Van Hoecke
Hi Wind,
>       Try this:
> syntax match ahkHotkey /[^;]*::/ contains=ahkKeyName
Does not make a difference.

In fact, ahkKeyname is now always handled properly.

I can't get the '+ RCtrl & RShift::' part to be fully treated as
ahkHotkey anymore. Both keynames are highlighted as ahkKeyname,
always. Don't have a clue why this was different last night.
I think that I did not change anything anymore. Maybe i was just too
tired to see clearly. :-)

The problem which is still there, and not affected by the
presence/absence of the contains clause, is the non-highlighting of
the '&' en '::' in the 'RCtrl & Enter::' line. Both keynames are
always highlighted as ahkKeyname. But the '&' and '::' are just
plain black if, and only if the line starts with a Keyname in column
1. If anything precedes this keyname, even a simple space,
highlighting is OK: '&' and '::' are highlighted as per the
ahkHotkey, and both keynames as ahkKeyname.

This should not require an non-keyname first character to work.

> highlight link ahkComment Comment
> highlight link ahkHotkey Tag
> highlight link ahkKeyname Type
>
>           I think it will work the way You want.
>           See
>           :h syn-contains
>
>           And I can hardly explain why /^[^;]\+::/ doesn't work the
>           way we think it have to.
>

> Monday, June 13, 2005, 12:26:45 AM, you wrote:
>
> GVH> I am trying to set up a syntaxfile, with a.o. following lines
> GVH> syntax keyword ahkKeyName RCtrl
> GVH> syntax keyword ahkKeyName RShift
> GVH> syntax keyword ahkKeyName Enter
> GVH> syntax match ahkComment /;.*$/
> GVH> syntax match ahkHotkey /^[^;]\+::/
> GVH> highlight link ahkComment Comment
> GVH> highlight link ahkHotkey Tag
> GVH> highlight link ahkKeyname Type
>
> GVH> The file to be syntax-highlighted has a.o. following lines:
> GVH> ^#p::Run, appwiz.cpl ;;Add/remove programs dialog
> GVH> ^#r::Run, regedit.exe  ;;Regedit
> GVH> + RCtrl & RShift::AltTab ;;AltTab Forward
> GVH> RCtrl & Enter::ShiftAltTab ;;AltTab Backward
>
> GVH> The start of the three first lines in this file, thus everything up
> GVH> to the :: is highlighted as ahkHotkey.
>
> GVH> I expected this for the first two lines.
>
> GVH> I thought that the Rctrl and Rshift words in the third line should
> GVH> be highlighted as ahkKeyName. But they are not, they are highlighted
> GVH> as ahkHotkey, up to and including the ::. Does this not conflict
> GVH> with usr_44.txt, line 149: 'Keywords overrule any other syntax item.'?
>
> GVH> Now on to the fourth line. Here both RCtrl and Enter are highlighted
> GVH> as ahkKeyname (Type thus). Why does this happen in the fourth line
> GVH> and not in the third?
>
> GVH> Furthermore, on the fourth line, the remainder of the characters
> GVH> that do belong to the ahkHotkey definition (thus the & and the ::)
> GVH> are not highlighted at all.
>
> GVH> I am very new to syntax definition and would like some clarification
> GVH> about the above,
>
> GVH> TIA,
>
> GVH> Guido.

Re[2]: Syntax definition problem

Altukhou Yury
Hello Guido,

Monday, June 13, 2005, 4:56:02 PM, you wrote:

GVH> Hi Wind,
>>       Try this:
>> syntax match ahkHotkey /[^;]*::/ contains=ahkKeyName
GVH> Does not make a difference.
     Maybe You haven't notice absens of "^" char at the start of the
pattern? /[^;]*::/ != /^[^;]\+::/
          ^            ^
          It works for me.

 Wind                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Syntax definition problem

Guido Van Hoecke
Hi Wind,

> Hello Guido,
>
> Monday, June 13, 2005, 4:56:02 PM, you wrote:
>
> GVH> Hi Wind,
>
>>>      Try this:
>>>syntax match ahkHotkey /[^;]*::/ contains=ahkKeyName
>
> GVH> Does not make a difference.
>      Maybe You haven't notice absens of "^" char at the start of the
> pattern? /[^;]*::/ != /^[^;]\+::/
>           ^            ^
>           It works for me.

No, the ^ anchor is present in my syntax file (as per my original
mail). But unfortunately, it does not work for me.

:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.3 (2004 June 7, compiled Jun  7 2004 14:20:56)
MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
Big version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
+cindent +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl
+cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv +cscope
+dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
+ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding
-footer +gettext/dyn -hangul_input +iconv/dyn
+insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak
+lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
+modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +multi_byte_ime/dyn +multi_lang
+netbeans_intg +ole -osfiletype +path_extra +perl/dyn
-postscript +printer +python/dyn +quickfix +rightleft +ruby/dyn
+scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline
-sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white
+tcl/dyn -tgetent -termresponse +textobjects +title
+toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra
+viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
+writebackup -xfontset -xim -xterm_save +xpm_w32
    system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
  2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
       user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
   2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
   system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
     user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"
2nd user gvimrc file: "$VIM\_gvimrc"
     system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME\menu.vim"
Compilation: cl -c /W3 /nologo -DWIN32  -D_WIN32 -I. -Iproto
-DHAVE_PATHDEF -DWIN32   -DFEAT_CSCOPE       -DWINVER=0x0400
-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 /Ox -DNDEBUG /Zi  -DDYNAMIC_ICONV
-DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT -DFEAT_BIG
Linking: link /RELEASE /nologo /subsystem:console /incremental:no
/nodefaultlib:libc advapi32.lib shell32.lib gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib
ole32.lib uuid.lib  libc.lib   user32.lib          /PDB:.\ObjC/

> GVH> In fact, ahkKeyname is now always handled properly.
>
> GVH> I can't get the '+ RCtrl & RShift::' part to be fully treated as
> GVH> ahkHotkey anymore. Both keynames are highlighted as ahkKeyname,
> GVH> always. Don't have a clue why this was different last night.
> GVH> I think that I did not change anything anymore. Maybe i was just too
> GVH> tired to see clearly. :-)
>
> GVH> The problem which is still there, and not affected by the
> GVH> presence/absence of the contains clause, is the non-highlighting of
> GVH> the '&' en '::' in the 'RCtrl & Enter::' line. Both keynames are
> GVH> always highlighted as ahkKeyname. But the '&' and '::' are just
> GVH> plain black if, and only if the line starts with a Keyname in column
> GVH> 1. If anything precedes this keyname, even a simple space,
> GVH> highlighting is OK: '&' and '::' are highlighted as per the
> GVH> ahkHotkey, and both keynames as ahkKeyname.
>
> GVH> This should not require an non-keyname first character to work.
>

>>>highlight link ahkComment Comment
>>>highlight link ahkHotkey Tag
>>>highlight link ahkKeyname Type
>>>
>>>          I think it will work the way You want.
>>>          See
>>>          :h syn-contains
>>>
>>>          And I can hardly explain why /^[^;]\+::/ doesn't work the
>>>          way we think it have to.

Re[2]: Syntax definition problem

Altukhou Yury
Hello Guido,
      Let's clear this. I have completely the same version of vim as
      you have.
      I ment that it doesn't work for me wit "^" anchor, but
      without it it works right.

Monday, June 13, 2005, 6:56:31 PM, you wrote:

> [...]

>> GVH> I can't get the '+ RCtrl & RShift::' part to be fully treated as
>> GVH> ahkHotkey anymore. Both keynames are highlighted as ahkKeyname,
>> GVH> always. Don't have a clue why this was different last night.
>> GVH> I think that I did not change anything anymore. Maybe i was just too
>> GVH> tired to see clearly. :-)
>>
>> GVH> The problem which is still there, and not affected by the
>> GVH> presence/absence of the contains clause, is the non-highlighting of
>> GVH> the '&' en '::' in the 'RCtrl & Enter::' line. Both keynames are
>> GVH> always highlighted as ahkKeyname. But the '&' and '::' are just
>> GVH> plain black if, and only if the line starts with a Keyname in column
>> GVH> 1. If anything precedes this keyname, even a simple space,
>> GVH> highlighting is OK: '&' and '::' are highlighted as per the
>> GVH> ahkHotkey, and both keynames as ahkKeyname.
>>
>> GVH> This should not require an non-keyname first character to work.

 Wind                            mailto:[hidden email]