Syntax disable problem

Freelunch
Okay.. Lump me in with the haters.  I absolutely hate syntax
highlighting and that it is enabled by default (that emulates vi
how?).  I was thrilled to recently disable it.  Or so I thought.

I *NEVER* want to see another highlighted character in VIM.  I don't
care what it is called (whether syntax or function highlighting, etc).
 How can I get that?

Today, I get syntax highlighting in a simple case.  A file called 'ss'
with nothing but the following highlights the "lb" in orange:

lb1
lb2

While in vim I have tried :syntax clear and  :syntax off.

My .vimrc (I've tried with and without the : ):

:syntax off
syntax off
:let erlang_keywords = 1
:let erlang_characters = 1
:let erlang_functions = 1

Sorry for the rant,

  FL

Re: Syntax disable problem

Freelunch
Thanks so much for the support.

I have deleted vim from all my systems and put a link to emacs in.

   FL

On 6/14/05, Free Lunch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay.. Lump me in with the haters.  I absolutely hate syntax
> highlighting and that it is enabled by default (that emulates vi
> how?).  I was thrilled to recently disable it.  Or so I thought.
>
> I *NEVER* want to see another highlighted character in VIM.  I don't
> care what it is called (whether syntax or function highlighting, etc).
>  How can I get that?
>
> Today, I get syntax highlighting in a simple case.  A file called 'ss'
> with nothing but the following highlights the "lb" in orange:
>
> lb1
> lb2
>

> While in vim I have tried :syntax clear and  :syntax off.
>
> My .vimrc (I've tried with and without the : ):
>
> :syntax off
> syntax off
> :let erlang_keywords = 1
> :let erlang_characters = 1
> :let erlang_functions = 1
>

> Sorry for the rant,
>
>   FL

Re: Syntax disable problem

Charles E Campbell Jr
Quoting Free Lunch <[hidden email]>:

> Okay.. Lump me in with the haters.  I absolutely hate syntax
> highlighting and that it is enabled by default (that emulates vi
> how?).

Compile your vim so that it doesn't have syntax highlighting.

Re: Syntax disable problem

Antony Scriven
(top posting fixed)

On Jun 15, Free Lunch wrote:

Did no one tell you that there ain't no such thing?

 > On 6/14/05, Free Lunch <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >
 > > Okay.. Lump me in with the haters.  I absolutely hate
 > > syntax highlighting and that it is enabled by default
 > > (that emulates vi how?).  I was thrilled to recently
 > > disable it.  Or so I thought.
 > >
 > > I *NEVER* want to see another highlighted character in
 > > VIM.  I don't care what it is called (whether syntax or
 > > function highlighting, etc). How can I get that?
 > >
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > While in vim I have tried :syntax clear and  :syntax off.
 > >
 > > [...]

Try :set t_Co=0.

 > Thanks so much for the support.

You are welcome, and prescient apparently. But I think you
made a typo. Unlike vim, a sophisticated editor such as
emacs can detect sarcasm as you type and insert smilies in
the appropriate places (M-x electric-sarcasm RET).

 > I have deleted vim from all my systems and put a link to
 > emacs in.

I didn't think of that. That should work.

Antony