Syntax match first word of line

Ni Va
Hi,

I would like to syntax match the first word but don't know the syntax

syn match firstWordMatch        /^\s\+\w\+/

How to mapp just the \(\w\+\) pattern inside global pattern ?

Thanks

Re: Syntax match first word of line

Bryan Richter
On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 08:59:18AM -0800, Ni Va wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to syntax match the first word but don't know the syntax
>
> syn match firstWordMatch        /^\s\+\w\+/
>
> How to map just the \(\w\+\) pattern inside global pattern ?

Add \zs, which specifies where to start the match.

    syn match firstWordMatch /^\s\+\zs\w\+/

:help /\zs

-Bryan

p.s. Your search pattern is finding the first word that follows some
whitespace, since you used \s\+ ("ONE or more whitespace chars"). Is
that what you meant? If you wanted "the first word, no exceptions" you
would use \s* to find "ZERO or more whitespace chars".

Re: Syntax match first word of line

Shawn H Corey
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:08:50 -0800
Bryan Richter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> p.s. Your search pattern is finding the first word that follows some
> whitespace, since you used \s\+ ("ONE or more whitespace chars"). Is
> that what you meant? If you wanted "the first word, no exceptions" you
> would use \s* to find "ZERO or more whitespace chars".

A better choice might be to use \W* instead. This will make non-word
characters.

--
Don't stop where the ink does.

        Shawn H Corey

Le mardi 27 décembre 2016 19:59:34 UTC+1, Shawn H Corey a écrit :

> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:08:50 -0800
> Bryan Richter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > p.s. Your search pattern is finding the first word that follows some
> > whitespace, since you used \s\+ ("ONE or more whitespace chars"). Is
> > that what you meant? If you wanted "the first word, no exceptions" you
> > would use \s* to find "ZERO or more whitespace chars".
>
> A better choice might be to use \W* instead. This will make non-word
> characters.
>

> --
> Don't stop where the ink does.
>
> Shawn H Corey
Ok it works well to highlight word just after non words with this pattern :
syn match s7Accumulator         /^\(_\d\+:\)*\W*\zs\(POP\|ENT\)/

But on this sentence :
           Entree_Word
it highlights 'Ent' too or I just want it match the only word
           Ent or
           ENT