Tabs vs buffers

av

Tabs vs buffers

av
Hi,

Is there a way to see for each tabs only the files opened in that tab? The ls or buffers command will show all buffers for all tabs, I would like the tab to behave like mini projects or categories of tasks.

thank you,

Alexandre

Re: Tabs vs buffers

Benji Fisher-2
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM, av <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to see for each tabs only the files opened in that tab? The ls or buffers command will show all buffers for all tabs, I would like the tab to behave like mini projects or categories of tasks.

thank you,

Alexandre

     Once you decide exactly what you want, you can construct a function, command, or mapping to do it in a few keystrokes.  One option is

:let foo = []
:windo let foo += [expand('%')]
:echo foo

Another option, which will only work well when saved as a function, is

: for bufnr in tabpagebuflist()
: echo bufname(bufnr)
: endfor

:help :windo
:help tabpagebuflist()

HTH
--
Benji Fisher

Re: Tabs vs buffers

David Fishburn-2

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM, av <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to see for each tabs only the files opened in that tab? The ls or buffers command will show all buffers for all tabs, I would like the tab to behave like mini projects or categories of tasks.

I added that feature to the BufExplorer plugin.

Once you enter BufExplorer, hit T  (or read the help hitting F1 inside BufExplorer).
It reduces the list of buffers shown to only those buffers which have been edited (last) in this tab.

T again to toggle back to all buffers.

HTH,
David

Re: Tabs vs buffers

Lech Lorens
On Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:10:07 PM UTC+1, av wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to see for each tabs only the files opened in that tab? The ls or buffers command will show all buffers for all tabs, I would like the tab to behave like mini projects or categories of tasks.

You mean like the :tabs command?

HTH,
Lech

Re: Tabs vs buffers

David Fishburn-2
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Lech Lorens <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:10:07 PM UTC+1, av wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to see for each tabs only the files opened in that tab? The ls or buffers command will show all buffers for all tabs, I would like the tab to behave like mini projects or categories of tasks.

You mean like the :tabs command?

I don't believe that is what I would be looking for.

:h :tabs
|:tabs| List the tab pages and the windows they contain.

I want to see which buffers each tab contains, not the windows.
Since I always have :set hidden, I usually only have 1 window open per tab.
Yet, I treat each tab as a "project" where I try to edit all files for that given project in just that tab.

I want to quickly switch between those buffers without spending a lot of time trying to find the buffer I want out of a large number of open buffers.

My 2 cents anyway.
Dave

Re: Tabs vs buffers

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

On Nov 22, 2013 5:48 PM, "David Fishburn" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Lech Lorens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:10:07 PM UTC+1, av wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is there a way to see for each tabs only the files opened in that tab? The ls or buffers command will show all buffers for all tabs, I would like the tab to behave like mini projects or categories of tasks.
>>
>> You mean like the :tabs command?
>

> I don't believe that is what I would be looking for.
>
> :h :tabs
> |:tabs| List the tab pages and the windows they contain.
>
> I want to see which buffers each tab contains, not the windows.

It lists buffer names.

If you are talking about tabs containing buffers you are absolutely wrong. They do not contain buffers. The only things tabs do contain* is windows and windows in turn display (not contain) buffers.

* Putting aside some unrelated things like t: dictionary with tab-local variables.

> Since I always have :set hidden, I usually only have 1 window open per tab.
> Yet, I treat each tab as a "project" where I try to edit all files for that given project in just that tab.
>
> I want to quickly switch between those buffers without spending a lot of time trying to find the buffer I want out of a large number of open buffers.

There are plugins like Command-T for that. I see no sense in what you do: list of buffers is global and I have not seen any plugin that will switch you to appropriate tab deduced on some condition and bring the buffer you seek there.

> My 2 cents anyway.
> Dave

> ---

Re: Tabs vs buffers

Yegappan Lakshmanan
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Nikolay Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You mean like the :tabs command?
>>
>> I don't believe that is what I would be looking for.
>>
>> :h :tabs
>> |:tabs| List the tab pages and the windows they contain.
>>
>> I want to see which buffers each tab contains, not the windows.
>
> It lists buffer names.
>
> If you are talking about tabs containing buffers you are absolutely wrong.
> They do not contain buffers. The only things tabs do contain* is windows and
> windows in turn display (not contain) buffers.
>
> * Putting aside some unrelated things like t: dictionary with tab-local
> variables.
>
>> Since I always have :set hidden, I usually only have 1 window open per
>> tab.
>> Yet, I treat each tab as a "project" where I try to edit all files for
>> that given project in just that tab.
>>
>> I want to quickly switch between those buffers without spending a lot of
>> time trying to find the buffer I want out of a large number of open buffers.
>
> There are plugins like Command-T for that. I see no sense in what you do:
> list of buffers is global and I have not seen any plugin that will switch
> you to appropriate tab deduced on some condition and bring the buffer you
> seek there.

When switching between buffers, if the 'switchbuf' option contains 'usetab',
then Vim will switch to the tab containing the specified buffer (instead of
opening the buffer in the current tab). This works for the ":sbuffer",
":sbnext" and ":sbrewind" commands.

Note that you can still open a buffer in the current tab (even if it
is displayed
in another tab), using other commands like ":buffer".

- Yegappan

Re: Tabs vs buffers

David Fishburn-2

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Nikolay Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 22, 2013 5:48 PM, "David Fishburn" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Lech Lorens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:10:07 PM UTC+1, av wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is there a way to see for each tabs only the files opened in that tab? The ls or buffers command will show all buffers for all tabs, I would like the tab to behave like mini projects or categories of tasks.
>>
>> You mean like the :tabs command?
>

> I don't believe that is what I would be looking for.
>
> :h :tabs
> |:tabs| List the tab pages and the windows they contain.
>
> I want to see which buffers each tab contains, not the windows.

It lists buffer names.

If you are talking about tabs containing buffers you are absolutely wrong. They do not contain buffers. The only things tabs do contain* is windows and windows in turn display (not contain) buffers.

I am not trying to hijack the OP thread here.

But I believe what he is asking for, is exactly what I had struggled with previously and helped enhance the BufExplorer plugin to address _my_ need.

Nikolay, I believe you are not quite grasping what my intentions are.

Right now, I have 6 buffers open and 3 tabs, I have been editing 2 files per tab:

:ls
  1 #h=  "\Vim\vimfiles\autoload\dbext_dbi.vim" line 21
  5 %a=  "dbext.vim"                    line 78
  6  a   "346120.sql"                     line 372
  7  h   "vendor_deter_chunks.sql" line 1
  9  h-  "[BufExplorer]"                line 13
 10  h-  "[BufExplorer]"                line 5
 11  h-  "[BufExplorer]"                line 7
 12  h   "Exercise_1_SimpleForm_apache.html" line 1
 13  a   "Exercise_0_setup.html" line 12
 14  h-  "[BufExplorer]"                line 4
 15 a  "dbext_dbi.vim"                  line 100

 :tabs
Tab page 1
>   dbext.vim
Tab page 2
    346120.sql
Tab page 3
    Exercise_0_setup.html

> Since I always have :set hidden, I usually only have 1 window open per tab.
> Yet, I treat each tab as a "project" where I try to edit all files for that given project in just that tab.
>
> I want to quickly switch between those buffers without spending a lot of time trying to find the buffer I want out of a large number of open buffers.

There are plugins like Command-T for that. I see no sense in what you do: list of buffers is global and I have not seen any plugin that will switch you to appropriate tab deduced on some condition and bring the buffer you seek there.

As you can see :tabs shows me which buffer each window in each tab is showing.

In my use of Vim, I always have :set hidden and only use 1 window per tab to maximize coding viewing.  So the output of :tabs is kind of useless to me.

Now, when in tab 2, I want to flip to one of the other files I was previous editing in this tab.  I use :BufExplorer (well via a mapping) and it shows me all files from the :ls command shown above.

I don't want to see all those files, I only want to see the 2 files I have been previously editing in that tab.  So, in BufExplorer, I hit T, which limits the displayed buffers to:
1.  Only the buffers I have edited in this tab already
2.  New buffers recently added or added and not displayed yet (:argadd)

This allows me to quickly and efficiently pick one of my previous buffers.

Quite often I will have 50 - 100 open buffers, so that list can get pretty unwieldy quickly.  Any mechanism which allows me to find the one I was interested in more quickly is welcome.

So, I am not looking to move to the tab the buffer was last edited in (which you stated above).  I am already in the tab I want, but now I want to change which buffer is displayed in the window I am editing to a previous buffer from the same tab (but from a short list, not all open buffers).

Anyway, that is how _I_ work in Vim with tabs and BufExplorer.

David

Re: Tabs vs buffers

Marcin Bednarek
W dniu piątek, 22 listopada 2013 16:51:45 UTC+1 użytkownik David Fishburn napisał:

> [...]
> 1.  Only the buffers I have edited in this tab already
>
> 2.  New buffers recently added or added and not displayed yet (:argadd)
>

> This allows me to quickly and efficiently pick one of my previous buffers.
>

> Quite often I will have 50 - 100 open buffers, so that list can get pretty unwieldy quickly.  Any mechanism which allows me to find the one I was interested in more quickly is welcome.
>

> So, I am not looking to move to the tab the buffer was last edited in (which you stated above).  I am already in the tab I want, but now I want to change which buffer is displayed in the window I am editing to a previous buffer from the same tab (but from a short list, not all open buffers).
>

> Anyway, that is how _I_ work in Vim with tabs and BufExplorer.

David,

I also use separate tabs for different projects and I know others who work like this. Maybe this is because I used earlier IDE's to code and later I switched to vim. Before using tabs in vim I used different gnu screen windows for each project but it was less convenient. I would be nice to have such possibility to show buffers which were opened in the tab built into vim natively. I wonder also how other developers use vim when they work with many projects.

Thanks,

Marcin

On Nov 23, 2013 2:18 PM, "Paws" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > Anyway, that is how _I_ work in Vim with tabs and BufExplorer.
> >

> > David
>
> David,
>
> I also use separate tabs for different projects and I know others who work like this. Maybe this is because I used earlier IDE's to code and later I switched to vim. Before using tabs in vim I used different gnu screen windows for each project but it was less convenient. I would be nice to have such possibility to show buffers which were opened in the tab built into vim natively. I wonder also how other developers use vim when they work with many projects.

I normally use separate desktops for separate projects. One desktop may contain one or two terminal emulators (one for vim and one for other stuff, second possibly split in two by tmux (this one is used primary for tests)), debugger (kdbg) and browser with relevant documentation/searches/etc with some other apps (e.g. kcachegrind) opened and closed when needed (terminals, browser and debugger normally persist until reboot).