Text file icons on Windows?

Matt Garman

On Windows 2000, I've set vim as the default application to run on
.TXT files.  I did this via:

        My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types

        Select "TXT TXT File", click "Change..." then select
        "Vi Improved - A Text Editor"

In the "Folder Options" dialog, the Vim icon shows up next to the
"TXT TXT File" listing.

Now, when I double click on a text file, it opens in vim.

So everything works as expected.

However, all my .TXT files are using the default Windows icon (the
white icon with the windows logo) rather than the vim icon.

Is there something I need to do for Windows to use the actual Vim
icon for text files?

Thanks!
Matt

Matt Garman
email at: http://raw-sewage.net/index.php?file=email

Re: Text file icons on Windows?

A.J.Mechelynck
Matt Garman wrote:

> On Windows 2000, I've set vim as the default application to run on
> .TXT files.  I did this via:
>
>         My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types
>
>         Select "TXT TXT File", click "Change..." then select
>         "Vi Improved - A Text Editor"
>
> In the "Folder Options" dialog, the Vim icon shows up next to the
> "TXT TXT File" listing.
>
> Now, when I double click on a text file, it opens in vim.
>
> So everything works as expected.
>
> However, all my .TXT files are using the default Windows icon (the
> white icon with the windows logo) rather than the vim icon.
>
> Is there something I need to do for Windows to use the actual Vim
> icon for text files?
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

In Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer):

Tools -> Folder options -> Filetypes

Select "TXT Text document" in the list, then: Advanced -> Change icon

Select the icon you like, maybe after browsing to an .ico, .dll, or .exe
file (you may want, for instance, to select the Vim icon from C:\Program
Files\vim\vim63\gvim.exe); then click OK as many times as necessary to
close the successive popup menus.

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:45:49PM +0200, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
> In Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer):
>
> Tools -> Folder options -> Filetypes
>
> Select "TXT Text document" in the list, then: Advanced -> Change icon

I didn't have the "Advanced" button available, until I first clicked
"Restore".

Looks like if you don't use the "Advanced" interface to set the
program, you can't change the icon.

I got it the way I like now, anwyay.

Thank you!
Matt