Thanks again for checkboxes

Steve Litt
Hi Noel,

As I finish preparations for tomorrow's business trip, it's time again to
thank you for checkboxes. What a world of difference they make in trip
preparation.

Also a big thankyou goes out to whoever clued me in on putting stuff like
@wallet and %lastminute in my outline. The @wallet type stuff lists the
container that each item goes in. Because of a Places first level item in the
notebook, such containers can be hierarchical. For instance, in the main
outline there's a line like this:

8 coursewares @ trainingbox

Then, in the places tree, there are the following items, all with checkboxes:

trainingbox @ smallsuitcase
smallsuitcase @cartrunk

Ultimately, the car's trunk is the ultimate container, because obviously it
doesn't go with me without getting in the trunk.

Doing it like this enables me to pack hierarchically, with all the training
box stuff checked off when it goes in the training box, but then I need to
check the trainingbox off in the small suitcase, and then the small suitcase
in the trunk. It's a really wonderful system.

Also, it serves as one heck of a packing list, identifying where everything
is.

The %lastminute gives me a way (via a grep command) to ignore certain items
until I leave (keys, stuff in wallet, wallet, travelling bluejeans and the
like. With the known last minute stuff out of the picture, I can concentrate
on what SHOULD be packed. Of course, just before I go, I make sure that
EVERYTHING is checked off (or perhaps labeled with %nottaken so it can remain
in the outline for next time, but not worried about this time.

With checkboxes plus @location and %timing, the outline becomes a
multidimensional database that can be ad-hoc queried with grep one liners.

So thanks!!!

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: Thanks again for checkboxes

Lucas González
I know it's the last thing you need-want-can do, but ... ok, I was
disconnected from this list for many months.  What's been going on?
You guys seem to have turned vim+vimoutliner into something that is
really so much more than good old plain outlining.  And it doesn't
show in the fine manual.  What would a how-to look like?   Or is it
many how-tos depending on who's using it and what they want to do?  An
outline of what is there to find?

I'm not saying Please share your umenues and grep one-liners or
anything.  Just intrigued at what are all those new posibilities after
the basics of outlining are more or less groked.  The title of the
article would be "beyond simple outlining" or something.

:-?

Lucas

2008/7/5 Steve Litt <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Noel,
>
> As I finish preparations for tomorrow's business trip, it's time again to
> thank you for checkboxes. What a world of difference they make in trip
> preparation.
>
> Also a big thankyou goes out to whoever clued me in on putting stuff like
> @wallet and %lastminute in my outline. The @wallet type stuff lists the
> container that each item goes in. Because of a Places first level item in the
> notebook, such containers can be hierarchical. For instance, in the main
> outline there's a line like this:
>
> 8 coursewares @ trainingbox
>
> Then, in the places tree, there are the following items, all with checkboxes:
>
> trainingbox @ smallsuitcase
> smallsuitcase @cartrunk
>
> Ultimately, the car's trunk is the ultimate container, because obviously it
> doesn't go with me without getting in the trunk.
>
> Doing it like this enables me to pack hierarchically, with all the training
> box stuff checked off when it goes in the training box, but then I need to
> check the trainingbox off in the small suitcase, and then the small suitcase
> in the trunk. It's a really wonderful system.
>
> Also, it serves as one heck of a packing list, identifying where everything
> is.
>
> The %lastminute gives me a way (via a grep command) to ignore certain items
> until I leave (keys, stuff in wallet, wallet, travelling bluejeans and the
> like. With the known last minute stuff out of the picture, I can concentrate
> on what SHOULD be packed. Of course, just before I go, I make sure that
> EVERYTHING is checked off (or perhaps labeled with %nottaken so it can remain
> in the outline for next time, but not worried about this time.
>
> With checkboxes plus @location and %timing, the outline becomes a
> multidimensional database that can be ad-hoc queried with grep one liners.
>
> So thanks!!!
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Recession Relief Package
> http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: Thanks again for checkboxes

Steve Litt

Hi Lucas,

Let's discuss this when I return from Athens GA late this coming week. VO's
code and capabilities have waaaayyyy outpaced its documentation, so I guess
it's time for me to get to work documenting.

Please remind me late this coming week, and try to set up  priorities of what
you'd like documented first.

On Saturday 05 July 2008 03:23, Lucas González wrote:

> [...]
> > I need to check the trainingbox off in the small suitcase, and then the
> > small suitcase in the trunk. It's a really wonderful system.
> >
> > Also, it serves as one heck of a packing list, identifying where
> > everything is.
> >
> > The %lastminute gives me a way (via a grep command) to ignore certain
> > items until I leave (keys, stuff in wallet, wallet, travelling bluejeans
> > and the like. With the known last minute stuff out of the picture, I can
> > concentrate on what SHOULD be packed. Of course, just before I go, I make
> > sure that EVERYTHING is checked off (or perhaps labeled with %nottaken so
> > it can remain in the outline for next time, but not worried about this
> > time.
> >
> > With checkboxes plus @location and %timing, the outline becomes a
> > multidimensional database that can be ad-hoc queried with grep one

Andy Wokula
Steve Litt schrieb:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> Let's discuss this when I return from Athens GA late this coming week. VO's
> code and capabilities have waaaayyyy outpaced its documentation, so I guess
> it's time for me to get to work documenting.
>
> Please remind me late this coming week, and try to set up  priorities of what
> you'd like documented first.

So, actually, where to get the _latest_ version of Vimoutliner?
Is it still v0.3.4?
Is there a "live" repository somewhere?

--
Andy

Re: Thanks again for checkboxes

Scott Scriven-2
* Lucas Gonz?lez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's been going on?  You guys seem to have turned
> vim+vimoutliner into something that is really so much more than
> good old plain outlining.

A lot of the "beyond outlining" stuff is based on concepts from
"GTD"...  which is basically a collection of ideas and processes
to make better use of existing tools (such as outliners).  I have
some of those ideas summarized here:

  http://toykeeper.net/programs/tkdo/gtd

What Steve mentioned was mostly tagging, in two namespaces.  He
used the common @context notation for physical location tags, and
a less-common %percent notation for temporal tagging.  By using
tags in your outline, you can easily search or filter according
to whatever criteria you think are useful.  The idea is to show
only tasks which are relevant right now, and hide things you
can't do anything about yet.

That isn't the only new idea in VO land, though.  There have been
a number of add-ons and related tools lately.

-- Scott

Re: Thanks again for checkboxes

Lucas González
Here's the reminder! ;-)

And I don't know what the priorities would be.  I guess it'd be an
outline of new features, and then we'd be able to prioritise what is
more useful, what's cooler, what has a greater potential to expand the
user-base, or whatever.

Thanks!

Lucas

2008/7/6 Steve Litt <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> > I need to check the trainingbox off in the small suitcase, and then the
>> > small suitcase in the trunk. It's a really wonderful system.
>> >
>> > Also, it serves as one heck of a packing list, identifying where
>> > everything is.
>> >
>> > The %lastminute gives me a way (via a grep command) to ignore certain
>> > items until I leave (keys, stuff in wallet, wallet, travelling bluejeans
>> > and the like. With the known last minute stuff out of the picture, I can
>> > concentrate on what SHOULD be packed. Of course, just before I go, I make
>> > sure that EVERYTHING is checked off (or perhaps labeled with %nottaken so
>> > it can remain in the outline for next time, but not worried about this
>> > time.
>> >
>> > With checkboxes plus @location and %timing, the outline becomes a
>> > multidimensional database that can be ad-hoc queried with grep one

How's this for a top level outline:

* basic usage
* features
* troubleshooting
* addons
* usage tips and tricks

Does that sound like a plan for the top level?

SteveT

On Friday 11 July 2008 19:21, Lucas González wrote:

> Here's the reminder! ;-)
>
> And I don't know what the priorities would be.  I guess it'd be an
> outline of new features, and then we'd be able to prioritise what is
> more useful, what's cooler, what has a greater potential to expand the
> user-base, or whatever.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lucas
>
> 2008/7/6 Steve Litt <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi Lucas,
> >
> > Let's discuss this when I return from Athens GA late this coming week.
> > VO's code and capabilities have waaaayyyy outpaced its documentation, so
> > I guess it's time for me to get to work documenting.
> >
> > Please remind me late this coming week, and try to set up  priorities of
> > what you'd like documented first.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > Recession Relief Package
> > http://www.recession-relief.US
> >
> > On Saturday 05 July 2008 03:23, Lucas González wrote:
> >> I know it's the last thing you need-want-can do, but ... ok, I was
> >> disconnected from this list for many months.  What's been going on?
> >> You guys seem to have turned vim+vimoutliner into something that is
> >> really so much more than good old plain outlining.  And it doesn't
> >> show in the fine manual.  What would a how-to look like?   Or is it
> >> many how-tos depending on who's using it and what they want to do?  An
> >> outline of what is there to find?
> >>
> >> I'm not saying Please share your umenues and grep one-liners or
> >> anything.  Just intrigued at what are all those new posibilities after
> >> the basics of outlining are more or less groked.  The title of the
> >> article would be "beyond simple outlining" or something.
> >>
> >> :-?
> >>
> >> Lucas

Re: Thanks again for checkboxes

Lucas González
Yes!  Part of it is already written, right?  So what next? :-)

Lucas