Thanks for checkboxes

Steve Litt
Hi everyone,

Noel, thanks for checkboxes (again).

This time I made a list of index terms for my new book's index. There are
about 100 terms, see's and seealso's, with first and second level entries. So
I made the index list an outline.

Then things got better. I used checkboxes on the outline, so I can leave off
and pick up any time I want, and know what I've done and what I haven't. When
I'm done the root headline will say 100%.

Indexing a book, always a drudgerous, unpleasant task, has been made A LOT
easier and more palatable by Checkboxes. Thanks for making them.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

Re: Thanks for checkboxes

Noel Henson
Your welcome. I couldn't have done it without help from Matej.

Wow, that's a novel use.

Noel

On Monday 05 March 2007 16:27, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Noel, thanks for checkboxes (again).
>
> This time I made a list of index terms for my new book's index. There
> are about 100 terms, see's and seealso's, with first and second level
> entries. So I made the index list an outline.
>
> Then things got better. I used checkboxes on the outline, so I can leave
> off and pick up any time I want, and know what I've done and what I
> haven't. When I'm done the root headline will say 100%.
>
> Indexing a book, always a drudgerous, unpleasant task, has been made A
> LOT easier and more palatable by Checkboxes. Thanks for making them.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/

Re: Thanks for checkboxes

Steve Litt
You can't imagine the half of it. It's REALLY saving my bacon, as interspersed
with creating the index, I had to write LaTeX to format it 1 column (much
less simple than it sounds), and negotiate a programming contract. The
checkboxes preserve my progress on indexing my book. I'd never again try to
index a book without VO.

SteveT

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tuni.htm
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/utpfaq.htm
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm
http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/ttech.htm
Author: Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist

Re: Thanks for checkboxes

Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz
>The checkboxes preserve my progress on indexing my book.
>I'd never again try to index a book without VO.

I've never authored a book - well, sort-of yes, but not with such an index.
 So I don't know what's so difficult about it or how you're using it.

I'm not asking for an explanation here as I won't be an author anytime soon!

But I can imagine Steve writing a how-to for troubleshooters.com  My
imagination is wild and badly mannered - sorry about that!  :-)

Lucas

Re: Thanks for checkboxes

Steve Litt
On Wednesday 07 March 2007 05:39, Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz wrote:

> >The checkboxes preserve my progress on indexing my book.
> >I'd never again try to index a book without VO.
>
> I've never authored a book - well, sort-of yes, but not with such an index.
>  So I don't know what's so difficult about it or how you're using it.
>
> I'm not asking for an explanation here as I won't be an author anytime
> soon!
>
> But I can imagine Steve writing a how-to for troubleshooters.com  My
> imagination is wild and badly mannered - sorry about that!  :-)
>
> Lucas
Hi Lucas,

An author's most distasteful work is creating an index. The two times I've
done it (Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist and my
upcoming book), it's felt like working in the sludge caldern of a sewage
treatment plant. When you're done, you just want to take a shower.

It's one or several days of busy work, but you still need to think about which
things to include and which not to, what to call them in the index, what to
combine and what to separate, what to hierarchize under what else.

From what my buddies on the LyX list say, here's how an index *should* be
made:

1) A non-author reads the book carefully, with no thought of an index.
2) The non-author reads it a second time, constructing the index.

Well, I'm not going to pay someone a week's pay to write my index, so here's
how I'm doing it:

1) I write, thoroughly proofedit, and spellcheck the book.
2) list all words ordered by frequency and alpha ***
3) Let the words remind me of relevent phrases
4) Insert the phrases in an outline
5) Rearrange the outline to make a good index
6) Put checkboxes in the outline
7) For each outline element, look up by keyword in the source document, and if
appropriate put an index tag, either single or with a start and end range.
Then check it off the outline.
8) Check often so you can identify mistakes.
9) When 100% of your outline is done, you're done.

***
cat mybook.txt | fmt -1 |  sed -e "s/^[[:space:][:punct:]]*//" |
sed -e "s/[[:space:][:punct:]]*$//" | tr [:upper:] [:lower:] |  sort |
uniq -c | sort -rn

I'm done with my index. I've taken a long shower with a lot of soap. I'm proud
of the result, which is attached.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/

index.pdf (52K) Download Attachment

Re: Thanks for checkboxes

Stefan Schmiedl
Steve Litt (07.03. 08:54):

> An author's most distasteful work is creating an index. The two times I've
> done it (Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist and my
> upcoming book), it's felt like working in the sludge caldern of a sewage
> treatment plant. When you're done, you just want to take a shower.

Creating an index is fun! All you need is an author with a really bad
memory (like yours truly).

You recall vaguely what you've been writing about. How many different
words or perspectives can you think of that people might use to find
the information in the book?

> 1) A non-author reads the book carefully, with no thought of an index.
> 2) The non-author reads it a second time, constructing the index.

The author(s) write the book with a layout permitting marginal comments.
When an author feels the urge to comment, it's a good target for index
entries.

Especially when dealing with the LaTeX way of buildings indices, index
creation can be done very efficiently during the writing / proofing
stages. You'll probably get too many items, different spellings,
singular and plural mixed, but deleting/changing spurious entries is
easy with a good text editor.

You can also use different macros to distinguish the different things
you can put in an index: concepts, examples, jokes, quotes, keywords

The fun begins when you change the macro definition to leave colored
spots on the pages. Too much blue and no red might indicate an excessive
Gags_per_Information ratio. Too many green keywords are usually boring
for the reader (reference material), so you might want to change the
structure of the book. A page without colored dots? Remove it, nothing
notable to see there...

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl