The easy way to add new VO file extensions

The easy way to add new VO file extensions

Steve Litt
Hi everyone,

Look what I have in my ~/.vim/ftdetect directory -- a file called
my_vo_extensions.vim. Here are the contents:

augroup filetypedetect
  au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.emdl         setfiletype vo_base
  au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.ebdl         setfiletype vo_base
  au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.pho          setfiletype vo_base
  au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.rl           setfiletype vo_base
augroup END

So on my computer, Easy Menu Definition Language (.emdl) files, EBDL flies
(.ebdl), Phone number lists (.pho) and Rapid Learning files (.rl) all come up
as outlines in Vim. Note that there's nothing special about the filename
my_vo_extensions.vim -- as long as the file's in the ~/.vim/ftdetect
directory, ends with .vim, and contains the above contents, it will work.

In order to have your file extensions survives VO upgrades, you can make it
symbolic link to a file in a backed up data directory.

SteveT

Re: The easy way to add new VO file extensions

Matěj Cepl
Steve Litt scripst:
> In order to have your file extensions survives VO upgrades, you can make it
> symbolic link to a file in a backed up data directory.

Or use package for your distribution (which writes only in /usr) and have
your personal extensions in ~/.vim/ as inteneded by the Maker.

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz
GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

He is a self-made man and worships his creator.
      -- John Bright

Re: The easy way to add new VO file extensions

Peter Princz
Steve,

On 05/12/06, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> So on my computer, Easy Menu Definition Language (.emdl) files, EBDL flies
> (.ebdl), Phone number lists (.pho) and Rapid Learning files (.rl) all come up
> as outlines in Vim.
>
> SteveT

great idea. I myself was also playing with the idea to treat Java and
C source files as outlines. :) I learnt Python is where indentation
has meaning beyond cosmetics too.

Anyway, never heard most of these filetypes and applications you mention above.
Especially "Rapid Learning" makes me curious, what's that?

Have a nice day,
  Peter

--
Keep cool. Develop in total darkness.

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 03:49, Peter Princz wrote:

> Steve,
>
> On 05/12/06, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,

> > So on my computer, Easy Menu Definition Language (.emdl) files, EBDL
> > flies (.ebdl), Phone number lists (.pho) and Rapid Learning files (.rl)
> > all come up as outlines in Vim.
> >
> > SteveT
>
> great idea. I myself was also playing with the idea to treat Java and
> C source files as outlines. :) I learnt Python is where indentation
> has meaning beyond cosmetics too.
>
> Anyway, never heard most of these filetypes and applications you mention
> above. Especially "Rapid Learning" makes me curious, what's that?
>
> Have a nice day,

Hi Peter,

Rapid Learning is a terminology-first, experiment driven method for learning
technology. Here's a flow chart of the Rapid Learning process:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/rl.htm#flowchart

I also wrote about it in this Troubleshooting Professional Magazine:
http://www.troubleshooters.cxm/tpromag/9712.htm

The latest Linux Productivity Magazine is set up as a Rapid Learning resource:
http://www.troubleshooters.cxm/lpm/200612/200612.htm

Please note the preceding page is *not well edited yet*, and has not been
linked to nor publicized.

If I decide to use VO for Rapid Learning (I've used HTML until now), Noel's
table enhancements (use of | symbol), because the terminology glossary
requires three column tables (term, definition, and example sentence). Also,
it will require executable lines to incorporate, display and edit terminology
diagrams.

HTH

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 09:29, Steve Litt wrote:

> The latest Linux Productivity Magazine is set up as a Rapid Learning
> resource: http://www.troubleshooters.cxm/lpm/200612/200612.htm

:%s/\.cxm/\.com/

SteveT

OT: Wi-Fi & me [Was: Re: The easy way to add new VO file extensions]

Matěj Cepl
Steve Litt scripst:
>> The latest Linux Productivity Magazine is set up as a Rapid Learning
>> resource: http://www.troubleshooters.cxm/lpm/200612/200612.htm

I like this essay by ESR
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html
and I less and less fan of his, but in the moments when he actually sits
down and writes coherent article (and not makes stupid interviews to
magazines) he is usually worthy to read. There are two things to note from
this:

1) nobody asks hardware manufacturers to develop Linux Wi-Fi drivers (it
is the same situation as many years ago with Ethernet cards drivers -- Don
Becker, the author of most drivers for Ethernet drivers in Linux, is on
record that he doesn't want any HW manufacturer to mess with his drivers)
-- JUST CREATE API AND DOCUMENT IT!!!

2) Microsoft is riding straight into the same mess we are in, except much
worse -- switch from 32-bit to 64-bit for Linux is just recompilation and
fixing bugs (there is a lot of them -- I know it pretty well, because
there are so many people in Red Hat who are fixing them). Boring stuff but
easily doable in reasonable time.
   For Microsoft, on the other hand, it is pure hell -- apparently THEY
don't have source code for most drivers, so when people will ask
for support of some obsolete hardware with 64-bit Windows (and they
will -- after all when you are 90% monopolist, you should support 100%
of all hardware in production), they have to either persuade manufacturer
to create a new 64-bit driver for some piece of sh*t which is long out of
production (if the manufacturer is still in the bussines), or they have
to go the same way we did -- signal analysis and dissasembling binary code.
For hundreds of drivers at once! Good luck.

Just my .02¢

Matěj
--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz
GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

This is a test of the emergency signature system. Were this an
actual signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers,
a zillion net addresses, or edifying philosophical statements.
this is only test.

Re: OT: Wi-Fi & me [Was: Re: The easy way to add new VO file extensions]

Tim Roberts
Matej Cepl wrote:

> 2) Microsoft is riding straight into the same mess we are in, except much
> worse -- switch from 32-bit to 64-bit for Linux is just recompilation and
> fixing bugs (there is a lot of them -- I know it pretty well, because
> there are so many people in Red Hat who are fixing them). Boring stuff but
> easily doable in reasonable time.
>    For Microsoft, on the other hand, it is pure hell -- apparently THEY
> don't have source code for most drivers, so when people will ask
> for support of some obsolete hardware with 64-bit Windows (and they
> will -- after all when you are 90% monopolist, you should support 100%
> of all hardware in production), they have to either persuade manufacturer
> to create a new 64-bit driver for some piece of sh*t which is long out of
> production (if the manufacturer is still in the bussines), or they have
> to go the same way we did -- signal analysis and dissasembling binary code.
> For hundreds of drivers at once! Good luck.

Although this is off-topic for this list, your comments are quite
correct.  The problem is compounded by some of the decisions Microsoft
has made.  For example, Microsoft's 64-bit compilers do not support
inline assembler.  At all.  x86 assembly code wouldn't have worked
anyway, but by not supporting it at all, they're forcing people to
refactor their drivers to put the assembler code into separate source
modules.

Further, you cannot install a driver on a Win64 system unless the driver
package is digitally signed with a Verisign commercial certificate.
Self-generated certificates are not good enough.  Only corporations can
get such certificates, and they cost about $395 per year.  This is
proving to be a serious burden for many independent driver writers.

We'll see how this all plays out.

--
Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.