The vim asm syntax file

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
enk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The vim asm syntax file

enk

Hi,
I have some suggestions for a change for the vim asm syntax file. I
asked the maintainer, but we agreed that I should write it here
instead.

It should support comments!
I use:
syn match asmSpecialComment     "#\*\*\*.*"
syn match asmComment            "#.*"

which is adapted from the original lines 48 and 49 in the file.
Someone with a good knowledge of GAS should also find out what the
purpose of those two original lines is. I don't know what the
semicolon does.

It should also support /* multi-line comments */

I'm probably not going to use asm again, now our compiler project is
over (got an A - yay!) but I just thought this could be of use :-)

Regards,
Erik Wognsen

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

enk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The vim asm syntax file

enk

Hi and bump..

where do suggestions for change to the official files go?

/Erik


On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 17:29, Erik Wognsen<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have some suggestions for a change for the vim asm syntax file. I
> asked the maintainer, but we agreed that I should write it here
> instead.
>
> It should support comments!
> I use:
> syn match asmSpecialComment     "#\*\*\*.*"
> syn match asmComment            "#.*"
>
> which is adapted from the original lines 48 and 49 in the file.
> Someone with a good knowledge of GAS should also find out what the
> purpose of those two original lines is. I don't know what the
> semicolon does.
>
> It should also support /* multi-line comments */
>
> I'm probably not going to use asm again, now our compiler project is
> over (got an A - yay!) but I just thought this could be of use :-)
>
> Regards,
> Erik Wognsen
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The vim asm syntax file

Charles Campbell

Erik Wognsen wrote:
> Hi and bump..
>
> where do suggestions for change to the official files go?
>  
[snip]

Take the subject for an example.

1: look at  .../vim72/syntax/asm.vim
2: See the "Maintainer" line (in this case, its Kevin Dahlhausen
<[hidden email]>)
3: Try emailing your suggestion(s) to this person.

Now, in the case of syntax/asm.vim, I note that the "Last Change" date
is 2002 Sep 19, so there's an outside chance that Kevin Dahlhausen won't
be active anymore.  After a few attempts and a decent interval for a
reply (it is summer and folks have been known to take a few weeks off
during that time), send a note to Bram M about your changes, the (at
this point potential) unresponsiveness of the maintainer, etc.  Bram M.
may or may not accept your changes; he also may ask you if you're
willing to become a maintainer yourself.

Regards,
Chip Campbell


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The vim asm syntax file

Benjamin Fritz
In reply to this post by enk



On Jun 23, 10:29 am, Erik Wognsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some suggestions for a change for the vim asm syntax file. I
> asked the maintainer, but we agreed that I should write it here
> instead.
>

What were the reasons to writing it here instead? So we could comment
before including it?

I know nothing about "GNU Assembler" which is the language listed in
the syntax file, but assuming it does indeed support comments starting
with #, I see personally see no problem with your proposed additions.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

enk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The vim asm syntax file

enk

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:44, Ben Fritz<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 10:29 am, Erik Wognsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have some suggestions for a change for the vim asm syntax file. I
>> asked the maintainer, but we agreed that I should write it here
>> instead.
>
> What were the reasons to writing it here instead? So we could comment
> before including it?

Yeah, and because I didn't know where else to go. It doesn't look like
he was interested in being the maintainer anymore.

> I know nothing about "GNU Assembler" which is the language listed in
> the syntax file, but assuming it does indeed support comments starting
> with #, I see personally see no problem with your proposed additions.

Yeah, # is the single line comment marker. I don't know why the
current file uses the semicolon. My version of the GNU assembler
(2.18) doesn't even support semicolon as a comment marker.

@Chip:
As you can see, I've already contacted the maintainer. So I'll write
directly to Bram.

Thanks,
Erik Wognsen

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The vim asm syntax file

Markus Heidelberg

Erik Wognsen, 16.07.2009:
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 18:44, Ben Fritz<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I know nothing about "GNU Assembler" which is the language listed in
> > the syntax file, but assuming it does indeed support comments starting
> > with #, I see personally see no problem with your proposed additions.
>
> Yeah, # is the single line comment marker. I don't know why the
> current file uses the semicolon. My version of the GNU assembler
> (2.18) doesn't even support semicolon as a comment marker.

asm.vim supports more than GNU assembler. There is no standard in
assembler, leading to various dialects, some of them use ; for comments.

Markus


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

enk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The vim asm syntax file

enk

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 21:12, Markus
Heidelberg<[hidden email]> wrote:
> asm.vim supports more than GNU assembler. There is no standard in
> assembler, leading to various dialects, some of them use ; for comments.

Vim has eight syntax files with "asm" in the name, including asm86k,
nasm and asm.

Plus asm.vim explicitly states: "Language: GNU Assembler"

/Erik

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The vim asm syntax file

Markus Heidelberg

Erik Wognsen, 17.07.2009:

>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 21:12, Markus
> Heidelberg<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > asm.vim supports more than GNU assembler. There is no standard in
> > assembler, leading to various dialects, some of them use ; for comments.
>
> Vim has eight syntax files with "asm" in the name, including asm86k,
> nasm and asm.
>
> Plus asm.vim explicitly states: "Language: GNU Assembler"

You're right, I didn't look thorough enough.

Markus


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---