Trouble Installing

Mark Queppet
Hello, I'm pretty new when it comes to using Vim plugins and I really
want to use Vimoutliner for taking notes in school this year. However, I
cannot seem to get it to work on my system. I'm using Sabayon 4.2 (which
is a gentoo based distro if that matters) and have tried loading the
package through Sulfur and also through the manual method described in
the help files. Neither of these options work and I have included
'filetype plugin indent on' and 'syntax on' in my .vimrc file. Both
times the help files were viewable, but none of the comma comma commands
were. Any suggestions on how to get this to work would be greatly
appreciated.
-Thanks

Re: Trouble Installing

Noel Henson
On Monday 07 September 2009, Mark Queppet wrote:

> Hello, I'm pretty new when it comes to using Vim plugins and I really
> want to use Vimoutliner for taking notes in school this year. However, I
> cannot seem to get it to work on my system. I'm using Sabayon 4.2 (which
> is a gentoo based distro if that matters) and have tried loading the
> package through Sulfur and also through the manual method described in
> the help files. Neither of these options work and I have included
> 'filetype plugin indent on' and 'syntax on' in my .vimrc file. Both
> times the help files were viewable, but none of the comma comma commands
> were. Any suggestions on how to get this to work would be greatly
> appreciated.
> -Thanks

Mark,

First, load and otl file and type :echo localleader. It should say ',,'.
It may be that the leader has not been set correctly.

Noel

Re: Trouble Installing

Mark Queppet
Noel Henson wrote:

> On Monday 07 September 2009, Mark Queppet wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm pretty new when it comes to using Vim plugins and I really
>> want to use Vimoutliner for taking notes in school this year. However, I
>> cannot seem to get it to work on my system. I'm using Sabayon 4.2 (which
>> is a gentoo based distro if that matters) and have tried loading the
>> package through Sulfur and also through the manual method described in
>> the help files. Neither of these options work and I have included
>> 'filetype plugin indent on' and 'syntax on' in my .vimrc file. Both
>> times the help files were viewable, but none of the comma comma commands
>> were. Any suggestions on how to get this to work would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>> -Thanks
>>

> Mark,
>
> First, load and otl file and type :echo localleader. It should say ',,'.
> It may be that the leader has not been set correctly.
>
> Noel

When I type it in, it gives me the error:
    E121: Undefined Variable: localleader
    E15: Invalid expression: localleader
How do I set it to ",,"?

Re: Trouble Installing

Noel Henson
> Noel Henson wrote:
> > On Monday 07 September 2009, Mark Queppet wrote:
> >> Hello, I'm pretty new when it comes to using Vim plugins and I really
> >> want to use Vimoutliner for taking notes in school this year.
> >> However, I cannot seem to get it to work on my system. I'm using
> >> Sabayon 4.2 (which is a gentoo based distro if that matters) and have
> >> tried loading the package through Sulfur and also through the manual
> >> method described in the help files. Neither of these options work and
> >> I have included 'filetype plugin indent on' and 'syntax on' in my
> >> .vimrc file. Both times the help files were viewable, but none of the
> >> comma comma commands were. Any suggestions on how to get this to work
> >> would be greatly appreciated.
> >> -Thanks
> >
> > Mark,
> >
> > First, load and otl file and type :echo localleader. It should say
> > ',,'. It may be that the leader has not been set correctly.
> >
> > Noel
>
> When I type it in, it gives me the error:
>     E121: Undefined Variable: localleader
>     E15: Invalid expression: localleader
> How do I set it to ",,"?

Oops. Did I say that? Sorry. Here, try :echo maplocalleader.

Noel

Re: Trouble Installing

John Porubek
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Mark Queppet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I'm pretty new when it comes to using Vim plugins and I really
> want to use Vimoutliner for taking notes in school this year. However, I
> cannot seem to get it to work on my system. I'm using Sabayon 4.2 (which
> is a gentoo based distro if that matters) and have tried loading the
> package through Sulfur and also through the manual method described in
> the help files. Neither of these options work and I have included
> 'filetype plugin indent on' and 'syntax on' in my .vimrc file. Both
> times the help files were viewable, but none of the comma comma commands
> were. Any suggestions on how to get this to work would be greatly
> appreciated.
> -Thanks

Mark,

I wanted to share my observations in getting VimOutliner (VO)
installed and working under Linux in case it might help you, and also
to document it for myself to save the headaches the next time I
install VO on a new machine!

First some background information. I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and I
installed Vim using the package manager. $VIM is set to /usr/share/vim
and $VIMRUNTIME to /usr/share/vim/vim72. In the $VIM directory there
is a symlink called "vimfiles" that points to /etc/vim.

There is also a package listed for VO, but I've heard about many
problems and idiosyncrasies with the Debian package, so I installed
the VO files manually in the vimfiles (/etc/vim) directory. This
mirrors their location in my Windows installation. I copied the
"plugins" and "scripts" subdirectories located in the "add-ons"
directory directly to "vimfiles" (no destination "add-ons" directory).
Then I copied "doc", "ftdetect", "ftplugin", and "syntax" directories
to "vimfiles". Note that if these directories already exist beforehand
in "vimfiles" you should merge the contents of the VO directories with
them. Along those lines, I copied the contents of the "scripts"
directory to the already existing "scripts" directory (from "add-ons).
Then I copied "vimoutlinerrc" to $HOME/.vimoutlinerrc (note the
leading period to make it a hidden file).

Then I edited $HOME/.vimoutlinerrc, uncommenting the two map commands
(<S-Down> and <S-Up>), the "let maplocalleader" line, and the
"colorscheme vo_dark" line. I commented out the "hoistParanoia" line,
although this probably isn't necessary.

At this point, I thought VO should be working, but it wasn't. It was
doing pretty much what you described in your message. Fortunately I
had a working version of VO on my Kubuntu machine. In comparing the
two installations, I noticed that I had changed the "vo_base.vim" file
in "ftdetect" by commenting out lines 77-79 which checks for the
existence of the variable(?) "did_load_filetypes". I changed this in
my new installation and voila! VO was working. I don't remember why I
changed this file. I'd like to think my awesome troubleshooting
abilities led me to this solution, but I think it's more likely that I
read about in this list. I just did a search for "did_load_filetypes"
and found the following message which I'm including here because I
think it's important:

[Vimoutliner] _vimoutlinerrc not found under windows
Andy Wokula  Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Didier Bretin schrieb:
[Quoted text hidden]
One problem is filetype detection:
 $VIMRUNTIME\filetype.vim
is sourced before
 ~\vimfiles\ftdetect\*.vim

ftdetect\vo_base.vim should only contain these lines:
 au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.otl  setfiletype vo_base
 au! BufRead,BufNewFile *.oln  setfiletype xoutliner
The check for exists("did_load_filetypes") should be removed
from the file. Also the surrounding augroup command isn't needed.

BTW
 :h :scriptnames

--
Andy

BTW, I didn't know about the "scriptnames" command that Andy refers
to, but I tried it and it looks like it could be very useful in
debugging these kinds of problems, along with the often mentioned "-V"
command line flag.

One final note: I did some experimenting and discovered that
"vimoutlinerrc" can be put in "vimfiles" instead of in $HOME. It's a
matter of preference.

HTH,

--John