Quantcast

Trouble building Huge Vim8 on CentOS 7

Mun-4
Hi,

I'm trying to configure vim8 on a fresh CentOS7.3 installation with the
following configure command:

$ configure --with-features=huge --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-gui

However, configure doesn't seems to think I have GUI support on the
system:

Excerpt from vim/src/auto/config.log:

checking if X11 header files can be found... no
checking --enable-gui argument... no GUI support
checking X11/SM/SMlib.h usability... no
checking X11/SM/SMlib.h presence... no
checking for X11/SM/SMlib.h... no

I have installed the following additional packages:

   libX11-devel.x86_64
   gtk3-devel.x86_64
   libX11-devel.i686
   gtk3-devel.i686

My LD_LIBRARY_PATH is exported as follows:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/lib64:/usr/lib64:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib64:/usr/local/lib

I believe that should cover where the libs are being stored.  This is the
first time I'm attempting to build on CentOS7, so I don't know what I may be
missing.

Mun

Re: Trouble building Huge Vim8 on CentOS 7

Mun-4
Hi,

See update below ...

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 02:09 PM PDT, Mun E-Lists wrote:
M> Hi,
M>
M> I'm trying to configure vim8 on a fresh CentOS7.3 installation with the
M> following configure command:
M>
M> $ configure --with-features=huge --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-gui
M>
M> However, configure doesn't seems to think I have GUI support on the
M> system:
M>
M> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M> Excerpt from vim/src/auto/config.log:
M>
M> checking if X11 header files can be found... no
M> checking --enable-gui argument... no GUI support
M> checking X11/SM/SMlib.h usability... no
M> checking X11/SM/SMlib.h presence... no
M> checking for X11/SM/SMlib.h... no

I tried to find a yum package that provides SMlib.h, but my system said:
"No matches found".  Sigh.

Mun

--
Mun

Re: Trouble building Huge Vim8 on CentOS 7

L. A. Walsh
Mun wrote:
> I tried to find a yum package that provides SMlib.h, but my system said:
> "No matches found".  Sigh.

----
    I found I had to create my own reverse index of packages in my
distro to find files.

basically a:
  "rpm -qpl path-to-pkg/pkg.rpm   > path-to-rpmlist/pkg.rpm.lst"
for each rpm in my distro (so each rpm file list ends up in a
different file).

It's the only way to find a file that I've found.  It's 550Meg
of just rpm-file lists.  That said, how to find files in your
distro, isn't really a 'vim question', but a question for
people who know how to find things in your distro.

Dunno if it is helpful, but in suse13.2, it's in libSM-devel.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 07:13 PM PDT, L A Walsh wrote:
LAW> Mun wrote:
LAW> >I tried to find a yum package that provides SMlib.h, but my system said:
LAW> >"No matches found".  Sigh.
LAW> ----
LAW>    I found I had to create my own reverse index of packages in my
LAW> distro to find files.
LAW>
LAW> basically a:
LAW>  "rpm -qpl path-to-pkg/pkg.rpm   > path-to-rpmlist/pkg.rpm.lst"
LAW> for each rpm in my distro (so each rpm file list ends up in a
LAW> different file).
LAW>
LAW> It's the only way to find a file that I've found.  It's 550Meg
LAW> of just rpm-file lists.  That said, how to find files in your
LAW> distro, isn't really a 'vim question', but a question for
LAW> people who know how to find things in your distro.
LAW>
LAW>
LAW> Dunno if it is helpful, but in suse13.2, it's in libSM-devel.

Thanks for the reply.  I was able to finally get vim to compile, but it
was a little painful to discover all of the dependencies.

If there exists documentation which specifies the dependencies for a
"huge gui" implementation on CentOS7, I missed it.

Kind regards,

--
Mun

Re: Trouble building Huge Vim8 on CentOS 7

Tony Mechelynck
On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 4:18 AM, Mun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 07:13 PM PDT, L A Walsh wrote:
> LAW> Mun wrote:
> LAW> >I tried to find a yum package that provides SMlib.h, but my system said:
> LAW> >"No matches found".  Sigh.
> LAW> ----
> LAW>    I found I had to create my own reverse index of packages in my
> LAW> distro to find files.
> LAW>
> LAW> basically a:
> LAW>  "rpm -qpl path-to-pkg/pkg.rpm   > path-to-rpmlist/pkg.rpm.lst"
> LAW> for each rpm in my distro (so each rpm file list ends up in a
> LAW> different file).
> LAW>
> LAW> It's the only way to find a file that I've found.  It's 550Meg
> LAW> of just rpm-file lists.  That said, how to find files in your
> LAW> distro, isn't really a 'vim question', but a question for
> LAW> people who know how to find things in your distro.
> LAW>
> LAW>
> LAW> Dunno if it is helpful, but in suse13.2, it's in libSM-devel.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I was able to finally get vim to compile, but it
> was a little painful to discover all of the dependencies.
>
> If there exists documentation which specifies the dependencies for a
> "huge gui" implementation on CentOS7, I missed it.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Mun

The output of rpm queries is often inwieldy, so it's useful to grep
them for what you're looking for. For instance, to see which of the
foobar packages are installed,

    rpm -qa | grep ^foobar

(notice the initial ^ which has the same meaning as in a Vim pattern)
is much nicer than looking at the full rpm -qa output.