Two spaces after punctuation and SpellCap issues

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Two spaces after punctuation and SpellCap issues

Tim Chase
To reproduce:

  $ vim -u NONE
  :syntax on
  :set spell cpo+=J

to let vim know I always put two spaces after a sentence.  However,
if I enter text like

  Call Bob re. the faucet.

or

  Take Main St. the whole way down.

vim's syntax highlighting flags "the" in SpellCap as if it's
expecting the "." to mark the end of the sentence and require "the"
to be capitalized (as "z=" provides as its top suggestion).

My understanding is that the cpo+=J should require two spaces for it
to be considered a sentence, but it looks like it's ignoring this
flag when engaging the SpellCap group (which seems to think it's at
the end of a sentence).

Am I missing something or is this possibly a bug?

Thanks,

-tim



--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Two spaces after punctuation and SpellCap issues

Bram Moolenaar

Tim Chase wrote:

> To reproduce:
>
>   $ vim -u NONE
>   :syntax on
>   :set spell cpo+=J
>
> to let vim know I always put two spaces after a sentence.  However,
> if I enter text like
>
>   Call Bob re. the faucet.
>
> or
>
>   Take Main St. the whole way down.
>
> vim's syntax highlighting flags "the" in SpellCap as if it's
> expecting the "." to mark the end of the sentence and require "the"
> to be capitalized (as "z=" provides as its top suggestion).
>
> My understanding is that the cpo+=J should require two spaces for it
> to be considered a sentence, but it looks like it's ignoring this
> flag when engaging the SpellCap group (which seems to think it's at
> the end of a sentence).

That 'cpo' flag is not related to spell checking.  The spell checking
relies on recognizing the abbreviation.  I don't see "the" after "St."
highlighted for that reason.

> Am I missing something or is this possibly a bug?

Let's call it a feature request.

Note that this won't cover everything, esp. a dot at the end of the line
would normally not have spaces after it, thus Vim can't know whether
it's the end of a sentence or not.

--
hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
202. You're amazed to find out Spam is a food.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Two spaces after punctuation and SpellCap issues

Tim Chase
On 2018-04-16 18:05, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Tim Chase wrote:
>
> > To reproduce:
> >
> >   $ vim -u NONE
> >   :syntax on
> >   :set spell cpo+=J
> >
> > to let vim know I always put two spaces after a sentence.
> > However, if I enter text like
> >
> >   Call Bob re. the faucet.
>
> That 'cpo' flag is not related to spell checking.  The spell
> checking relies on recognizing the abbreviation.  I don't see "the"
> after "St." highlighted for that reason.

However the 'cpo' "J" flag is related to defining what a sentence is
(must be followed by two spaces when cpo+=J), and in my example(s),
the "the" is getting highlighted as SpellCap because vim thinks a
sentence is ending at the period before "the".  So vim suggests I
should *capitalize* "the" (not that it's spelled wrong).  Vim knows
enough that a sentence shouldn't end there (using parens to navigate
by sentence doesn't stop at the "t" in "the"; which is the correct
behavior) so there's no reason for the SpellCap recognition to think
a sentence ended before it either.

> Note that this won't cover everything, esp. a dot at the end of the
> line would normally not have spaces after it, thus Vim can't know
> whether it's the end of a sentence or not.

There would be an edge case of text like

   Call Bob re.
   the faucet

which would reasonably highlight "the" as SpellCap.
But for the case where 'cpo' contains "J", I'd still posit that it's
a bug to consider the sequence "end-of-sentence punctuation, single
space, lowercase-word" as a condition to trigger SpellCap on the
lowercase-word portion. :-)

-tim




--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.