Unexpected cursor position when opening a file by clicking in netrw (v138b)

Unexpected cursor position when opening a file by clicking in netrw (v138b)

Jean Johner
Hello,
Windows with default _vimrc.
Consider a directory with 2 files (file1 and file2) which open at line
1, column 1 when typing gvim file1 (or gvim file2).
Now, type:
1)
gvim file1
:e . (to list the current directory)
Put the cursor at the position of "file2" in the list using the arrow
keys (say line 10, column 1). Type enter.
Result: file2 is opened with the cursor positioned on line1, column 1
(OK)

2)
gvim file1
:e . (to list the current directory)
Click on "file2" in the list (say line 10, column 4)
Result: file2 is opened with the cursor positioned on line10, column 4
(which is unexpected in my opinion).

Best regards
Jean Johner

Re: Unexpected cursor position when opening a file by clicking in netrw (v138b)

Charles Campbell
Jean Johner wrote:

> Hello,
> Windows with default _vimrc.
> Consider a directory with 2 files (file1 and file2) which open at line
> 1, column 1 when typing gvim file1 (or gvim file2).
> Now, type:
> 1)
> gvim file1
> :e . (to list the current directory)
> Put the cursor at the position of "file2" in the list using the arrow
> keys (say line 10, column 1). Type enter.
> Result: file2 is opened with the cursor positioned on line1, column 1
> (OK)
>
> 2)
> gvim file1
> :e . (to list the current directory)
> Click on "file2" in the list (say line 10, column 4)
> Result: file2 is opened with the cursor positioned on line10, column 4
> (which is unexpected in my opinion).

Hello, Jean:

I didn't see this effect when I disabled viminfo  and some
restore-position code in my .vimrc.  Please try this with

simple.vimrc:
set nocp
filetype plugin on

vim -u simple.vimrc file1
..etc..

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Unexpected cursor position when opening a file by clicking in netrw (v138b)

Jean Johner
On Aug 10, 9:56 pm, Charles Campbell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello, Jean:
>
> I didn't see this effect when I disabled viminfo  and some
> restore-position code in my .vimrc.  Please try this with
>
> simple.vimrc:
> set nocp
> filetype plugin on
>
> vim -u simple.vimrc file1
> ..etc..
>
> Regards,
> Chip Campbell- Hide quoted text -

Hello Chip,
Thank you for still being active on this old thread.

I downloaded netrw v140 from your site.
I use Vim 7.2.441 in Windows.

1/ I tried again the operation described above with the default
windows _vimrc.
Same result.
Btw, do you reproduce the problem in this condition?

2/ I tried what you suggested (delete _vimfo plus simple.vimrc).
I do not see any difference: file2 still opens with the cursor
positioned at the click location (instead of line 1, col 1).
As I write, I realize that I have "lastpos" and "foldsearch" plugins.
I will try again without them.

Please note that this is a Windows specific problem.
In unix with vimrc_example as .vimrc, file2 opens with the cursor on
line 1, col 1 when clicked in netrw list.

Best regards.

Jean Johner

Re: Unexpected cursor position when opening a file by clicking in netrw (v138b)

Jean Johner
Hello Chip,

I tried with "lastpos" and "foldsearch" plugins inactivated (plus
_viminfo suppressed and simple.vimrc)
Always the same error.

Could you try again and give me your detailed config in the case where
the bug vanishes.

Best regards.

Jean Johner