Unexpected display with gvim -p with multiple arguments (Linux)

Unexpected display with gvim -p with multiple arguments (Linux)

Jean Johner
Below excerpt from vim_use thread "Possible error with gvim -p with
multiple arguments (Linux)":

Hello,
Suppose that you use vimrc_example.vim as your .vimrc.
Do the following:
gvim file1
put the cursor on line 100
:q
Do the same for file2.

Now doing "gvim file1" (or gvim file2) opens the file with line 100
at
the MIDDLE of the screen (OK).
Doing "gvim file1 file2" opens the 2 buffers with line 100 at the
MIDDLE of the screen (OK).

If you type
gvim -p file1 file2
file1 is opened with line 100 at the TOP of the screen. file2 is OK.

The same occurs with 3 arguments, always for the first file.

Tony has confirmed.
Could you have a look at that?

Best regards
Jean Johner

Re: Unexpected display with gvim -p with multiple arguments (Linux)

James Vega-3
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Jean Johner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Below excerpt from vim_use thread "Possible error with gvim -p with
> multiple arguments (Linux)":
>
> Hello,
> Suppose that you use vimrc_example.vim as your .vimrc.
> Do the following:
> gvim file1
> put the cursor on line 100
> :q
> Do the same for file2.
>
> Now doing "gvim file1" (or gvim file2) opens the file with line 100
> at
> the MIDDLE of the screen (OK).
> Doing "gvim file1 file2" opens the 2 buffers with line 100 at the
> MIDDLE of the screen (OK).
>
> If you type
> gvim -p file1 file2
> file1 is opened with line 100 at the TOP of the screen. file2 is OK.
>
> The same occurs with 3 arguments, always for the first file.

I can reproduce this as well using the following setup.

  $ cat test.vim
  set guioptions=e
  au BufReadPost * if line("'\"") > 1 && line("'\"") <= line("$") |
exe "normal! g`\"" | endif
  $ gvim -u test.vim -U NONE -N -p file1 file2

It seems like the drawing of the gui tab pages is causing the shift.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[hidden email]>

Re: Unexpected display with gvim -p with multiple arguments (Linux)

Tony Mechelynck
On 08/04/10 16:02, James Vega wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Jean Johner<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Below excerpt from vim_use thread "Possible error with gvim -p with
>> multiple arguments (Linux)":
>>
>> Hello,
>> Suppose that you use vimrc_example.vim as your .vimrc.
>> Do the following:
>> gvim file1
>> put the cursor on line 100
>> :q
>> Do the same for file2.
>>
>> Now doing "gvim file1" (or gvim file2) opens the file with line 100
>> at
>> the MIDDLE of the screen (OK).
>> Doing "gvim file1 file2" opens the 2 buffers with line 100 at the
>> MIDDLE of the screen (OK).
>>
>> If you type
>> gvim -p file1 file2
>> file1 is opened with line 100 at the TOP of the screen. file2 is OK.
>>
>> The same occurs with 3 arguments, always for the first file.
>
> I can reproduce this as well using the following setup.
>
>    $ cat test.vim
>    set guioptions=e
>    au BufReadPost * if line("'\"")>  1&&  line("'\"")<= line("$") |
> exe "normal! g`\"" | endif
>    $ gvim -u test.vim -U NONE -N -p file1 file2
>
> It seems like the drawing of the gui tab pages is causing the shift.

I'm using text-style tabs (with :set go-=e) and I see the faulty
behaviour on the tabs whose labels overflow partly or fully off the left
of the text-style tabline. My 'guioptions' is set to gimrLTtc which also
removes "a" from the GTK default and adds "c".

Real computer scientists don't comment their code.  The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space.

Re: Unexpected display with gvim -p with multiple arguments (Linux)

Jean Johner
Hello,
I just installed vim7.2.437 on linux.
It seems that some modification has been done.
Now when you type (with vimrc_example as .vimrc):
gvim -p file1 file2 file3
file1 is opened with the cursor position on line 100 at the MIDDLE of
the screen (OK)
file2 and file3 are opened with the cursor positioned on line 100 at
the TOP of the screen (NOT OK).

No pb under windows (with 7.2.437)

Best regards
Jean Johner