Unicode supplementary chars in Vim

krbeesley
I'm interested in using Vim to edit files with Unicode supplementary
chars, like Shavian and Deseret Alphabet.

I have Vim 7.0 running and have written vim input methods to enter
such characters.  I can write the resulting files and have confirmed
that they really do contain the desired characters.

But the characters do not display in my vim windows.  I just see
question marks.  Not good.

Question:  is it just a matter of setting the right fonts? or is vim
still incapable of displaying Unicode supplementary chars?

Thanks,

Ken

Re: Unicode supplementary chars in Vim

A.J.Mechelynck
Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:

> I'm interested in using Vim to edit files with Unicode supplementary
> chars, like Shavian and Deseret Alphabet.
>
> I have Vim 7.0 running and have written vim input methods to enter
> such characters.  I can write the resulting files and have confirmed
> that they really do contain the desired characters.
>
> But the characters do not display in my vim windows.  I just see
> question marks.  Not good.
>
> Question:  is it just a matter of setting the right fonts? or is vim
> still incapable of displaying Unicode supplementary chars?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

I think that Vim is incapabale of displaying codepoints above U+FFFF, but I'm
not 100% sure. It is a problem for CJK too, since some hanzi are in plane 2
(U+2xxxx).

Of course, any codepoints for which your 'guifont' has no glyph (or, in GTK2
versions, for which Xft cannot find a glyph) can never be displayed.