Unzipping Python OTL Script

Furash Gary
I'm trying to install the python script that beautifes outlines.  When I
GUNZIP it, I end up with a "file" - I think it's actually a director of
stuff but I'm not doing it right.

Re: Unzipping Python OTL Script

David T Harris-2
If you're using a *nix (unix/linux/bsd/etc...)
box you should be able to do a
"file nameofPythonScipt"   to see what the actual file is.
If it is a directory or a tar file (which is possible considering,
as you probably know most gzip'd files are first tar'd) then
modern versions of "file" should let you know.

If it's a tar file simply:
tar xvf "nameOfYourFile"
to extract the contents of the tar archive.

If it is a directory you should be able to "cd" into it.

Good luck!
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Furash Gary wrote:

> I'm trying to install the python script that beautifes outlines.  When I
> GUNZIP it, I end up with a "file" - I think it's actually a director of
> stuff but I'm not doing it right.

Unzipping Python OTL Script

Furash Gary
I've downloaded the newest python script for vimoutliner.

I've done

$gunzip otl2html-1.40.gz
$chmod u=rwx *.gz
$tar xvf otl2html-1.40

It says

"Cannot mkdir: permission denied"
Then
"Cannot open: permission denied"

For each file.

I'm able to gunzip/untar lots of other files, so I'm not sure why I
can't do this one.  I'm using CYGWIN on Winxp.

Re: Unzipping Python OTL Script

Noel Henson
On Friday 27 January 2006 08:16 am, Furash Gary wrote:

> I've downloaded the newest python script for vimoutliner.
>
> I've done
>
> $gunzip otl2html-1.40.gz
> $chmod u=rwx *.gz
> $tar xvf otl2html-1.40
>
> It says
>
> "Cannot mkdir: permission denied"
> Then
> "Cannot open: permission denied"
>
> For each file.
>
> I'm able to gunzip/untar lots of other files, so I'm not sure why I
> can't do this one.  I'm using CYGWIN on Winxp.

Gary,

Let me send you a new copy. We'll see if that has the same problems.
I'll send it directly.

Noel

So cool

Tim Roberts
I just want to say what a cool tool this is.  My thinking tends to be
organized in terms of outlines.  I've searched for several years for a
simple tool that will let me to do rapid outline data entry without
getting in my way, and still produce pretty results.  I had tried
probably a dozen freeware and shareware outlining tools, along with Word
and PowerPoint, but none of them had the right karma for me.

I spend most of my day in vim anyway, so these outlining extensions are
both natural and functional.  Plus, I can customize otl2html.py to my
heart's content to produce output that is as pretty as I need.

It's rare to find something that fills a need so simply and completely.
My congratulations to the authors.

--
Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.