Use defined paragraph and character styles

Use defined paragraph and character styles

Steve Litt
Hi David,

A couple days ago I discussed on the LyX developers list the fact that native
LyX is getting harder by the version to parse and write. I suggested an
intermediate format be created that wouldn't change from version to version in
order to go from VO to LyX. I mentioned that I'd probably have to be the guy
who wrote the intermediate to LyX code.

I was hopeful when you described AFT, but upon reading aft-refman.html, I find
no way of specifying user defined paragraph and character styles, nor does it
look like the AFT developers have given that need any thought. Have I missed
something?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: Use defined paragraph and character styles

David J Patrick-2
Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> A couple days ago I discussed on the LyX developers list the fact that native
> LyX is getting harder by the version to parse and write. I suggested an
> intermediate format be created that wouldn't change from version to version in
> order to go from VO to LyX. I mentioned that I'd probably have to be the guy
> who wrote the intermediate to LyX code.
well that sounds nifty !

> I was hopeful when you described AFT, but upon reading aft-refman.html, I find
> no way of specifying user defined paragraph and character styles, nor does it
> look like the AFT developers have given that need any thought. Have I missed
> something?
Yes, a couple of things, I think.
Firstly, aft knows nothing of "user-defined-text", and it is otl2aft.awk
that transforms an outline to aft. Tweaking that awk file is how
aft-styles are controlled. We have modified our awk pre-processor to do
some things with UDT (user defined text) and other UDT lines, that don't
match this first transform, are silently ignored.
Secondly, now that the outline is a valid aft file, the proper
transforms are *.dat files referred to by aft, as it converts to the
next format. These files reside in /usr/local/share/aft/, I think, and
to modify them, one tweaks the desired .tex rules (in this case)
recompiles the .dat.
The resultant latex is converted to pdf via pdflatex or xetex something.
This seemingly monsterous path is actually quite solid and yet vastly
flexible for fully configurable, parallel output.

djp