Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

zzapper
Hi
I've just come across a (Windows) utility which stores the last 25 things
(clips) that you've copied and pasted. Click on the utility in your system
tray and up pops a 5 by 5 grid.
Each pigeon hole in the grid shows enough of the clip to help you recall
the one you want.
click in the pigeon hole and it pastes the contents.

It's called M8 Free Multi Clipboard (I think it's WONDERFUL, so here I am
telling everyone about it)

I also use a Text Replacement Utility called ShortKeys which acts a bit
like a VIM abbreviation ie you type a short code and it replaces the code
with a long sequence of text or code that you use frequently eg a chunk of
code, an address etc.

I use also use a Screenscraper which allows me to copy and paste text from
applications that normally don't allow it.

I've done a page to describe these tools in more details.

http://successtheory.com/tips/vimtools.php

They are mostly or are all free, and there are probably many other
alternatives (please post here if you have your own preferences). They are
also mostly Windows but I expect there are similar *nix versions)

--
zzapper
Best of VimTips
http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Troy Piggins-2
* zzapper <[hidden email]> :
[snip]

> I also use a Text Replacement Utility called ShortKeys which acts a bit
> like a VIM abbreviation ie you type a short code and it replaces the code
> with a long sequence of text or code that you use frequently eg a chunk of
> code, an address etc.
[snip]

Can that program invoke applications, or just keystrokes?

I have tried in the past to do the recommendations of this "Vim
Everywhere"[1] page which uses a similar program to the one you
mention called "Shortcut"[2].  The idea is that you can
(supposedly) invoke vim from any text input application.

I had trouble getting it to work - the help files are only in
German and I am Australian :(

Anyway, I was thinking if ShortKeys could do the same.

[1] http://www.karpfenteich.net/pit/vimall.html
[2] http://www.typer.de/

--
Troy Piggins                                                    ,-O   (o-    O
                                                               O   )  //\     O
If you're into bondage, make sure "More"                        `-O   V_/_  OOO
  isn't your safety word.                                            RLU#415538

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Gary Johnson
On 2006-12-01, Troy Piggins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * zzapper <[hidden email]> :
> [snip]
> >
> > I also use a Text Replacement Utility called ShortKeys which acts a bit
> > like a VIM abbreviation ie you type a short code and it replaces the code
> > with a long sequence of text or code that you use frequently eg a chunk of
> > code, an address etc.
> [snip]
>
> Can that program invoke applications, or just keystrokes?
>
> I have tried in the past to do the recommendations of this "Vim
> Everywhere"[1] page which uses a similar program to the one you
> mention called "Shortcut"[2].  The idea is that you can
> (supposedly) invoke vim from any text input application.

I've been using 'external' for quite a while and am very happy with
it.

    http://bur.st/~benc/?p=external

I found out about it from

    http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[hidden email]     | Wireless Division
                             | Spokane, Washington, USA

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Troy Piggins-2
* Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> :

> On 2006-12-01, Troy Piggins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * zzapper <[hidden email]> :
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > I also use a Text Replacement Utility called ShortKeys which acts a bit
> > > like a VIM abbreviation ie you type a short code and it replaces the code
> > > with a long sequence of text or code that you use frequently eg a chunk of
> > > code, an address etc.
> > [snip]
> >
> > Can that program invoke applications, or just keystrokes?
> >
> > I have tried in the past to do the recommendations of this "Vim
> > Everywhere"[1] page which uses a similar program to the one you
> > mention called "Shortcut"[2].  The idea is that you can
> > (supposedly) invoke vim from any text input application.
>
> I've been using 'external' for quite a while and am very happy with
> it.
>
>     http://bur.st/~benc/?p=external
>
> I found out about it from
>
>     http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805

Oh excellent.  I'll look into it Gary, thanks!

--
Troy Piggins                                                    ,-O   (o-    O
                                                               O   )  //\     O
If you're into bondage, make sure "More"                        `-O   V_/_  OOO
  isn't your safety word.                                            RLU#415538

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Troy Piggins-2
* Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> :

> On 2006-12-01, Troy Piggins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * zzapper <[hidden email]> : [snip]
> > >
> > > I also use a Text Replacement Utility called ShortKeys
> > > which acts a bit like a VIM abbreviation ie you type a
> > > short code and it replaces the code with a long sequence of
> > > text or code that you use frequently eg a chunk of code, an
> > > address etc.
> > [snip]
> >
> > Can that program invoke applications, or just keystrokes?
> >
> > I have tried in the past to do the recommendations of this
> > "Vim Everywhere"[1] page which uses a similar program to the
> > one you mention called "Shortcut"[2].  The idea is that you
> > can (supposedly) invoke vim from any text input application.
>
> I've been using 'external' for quite a while and am very happy
> with it.
>
>     http://bur.st/~benc/?p=external

What a surprise, it works for Thunderbird but not Outlook.
</sarcasm>

--
Troy Piggins                                                    ,-O   (o-    O
                                                               O   )  //\     O
If you're into bondage, make sure "More"                        `-O   V_/_  OOO
  isn't your safety word.                                            RLU#415538

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Vincent Wang-2
zzapper wrote:

>Hi
>I've just come across a (Windows) utility which stores the last 25 things
>(clips) that you've copied and pasted. Click on the utility in your system
>tray and up pops a 5 by 5 grid.
>Each pigeon hole in the grid shows enough of the clip to help you recall
>the one you want.
>click in the pigeon hole and it pastes the contents.
>
>It's called M8 Free Multi Clipboard (I think it's WONDERFUL, so here I am
>telling everyone about it)
>
>I also use a Text Replacement Utility called ShortKeys which acts a bit
>like a VIM abbreviation ie you type a short code and it replaces the code
>with a long sequence of text or code that you use frequently eg a chunk of
>code, an address etc.
>
>I use also use a Screenscraper which allows me to copy and paste text from
>applications that normally don't allow it.
>
>I've done a page to describe these tools in more details.
>
>http://successtheory.com/tips/vimtools.php
>
>They are mostly or are all free, and there are probably many other
>alternatives (please post here if you have your own preferences). They are
>also mostly Windows but I expect there are similar *nix versions)

Maybe you don't need external tools to do this.
I use yankring.vim, it work very well.
   http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805] .

BR
Vincent

--
"The tool that save the most labor in a programming project is probably a text-editing system"  -- <<The Mythical Man-Month>>

Try to make life easier ...
http://vincent-wang.livejournal.com

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Aaron Griffin
On 11/30/06, zzapper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've done a page to describe these tools in more details.
>
> http://successtheory.com/tips/vimtools.php

Related note, but not on topic:
I like slimKEYS under windows for global hotkey management:
http://slimcode.com/slimKEYS/

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

zzapper
Gary Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> On 2006-12-01, Troy Piggins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * zzapper <[hidden email]> :
>
> I've been using 'external' for quite a while and am very happy with
> it.
>
>     http://bur.st/~benc/?p=external
>
> I found out about it from
>
>     http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805
>
> HTH, Gary

Gary
That's wonderful and super quick to set up
Tried it in MSWORD and Pegasus Email

I applied the patch mentioned in tip805
external.vim (vim7)
if exists(b:ECdidBufferInit)
change to
if exists("b:ECdidBufferInit")

by rainergrohmann

zzapper
http://successtheory.com/tips/ Vim, Zsh, MySQL Tips

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Karl Guertin
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned AutoHotkey, the swiss army knife of
windows utilities.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

On 12/1/06, Karl Guertin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm surprised nobody's mentioned AutoHotkey, the swiss army knife of
> windows utilities.
>
> http://www.autohotkey.com/

That's probably because autohotkey is scripted in some sort of
bastardized visual basic and is therefore lame.

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

Ayoub890
Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Karl Guertin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm surprised nobody's mentioned AutoHotkey, the swiss army knife of
>> windows utilities.
>>
>> http://www.autohotkey.com/
>
> That's probably because autohotkey is scripted in some sort of
> bastardized visual basic and is therefore lame.

That might be as you describe, but what matters more is the
functionality, versatility and usefulness of the product. Can you please
suggest an equal or better product? I really want to know.

BTW, is there a *nix equivalent?

Thanx,

Ayoub

Re: Useful Tools to Assist Editing (Not just VIM)

zzapper
"Aaron Griffin" <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> Related note, but not on topic:
> I like slimKEYS under windows for global hotkey management:
> http://slimcode.com/slimKEYS/

I have updated the following page to include the "External" utility
which allows you to use VIM in other Windows Applications, tested
on MsWord Outlook, Pegasus and best of all my Web based Blog at blogger.com

http://successtheory.com/tips/vimtools.php

BTW tip: when using External, if it doesn't paste the text back into the
application first time click "retry"

Thanks to whoever recommended external. And remember to try out the
clipboard tool it's also life changing!!

Merry Crimbo!

--
http://successtheory.com/tips/ Vim, Zsh, MySQL Tips