Using imactivatekey option for IME users (was: VIM 7.1 compilation error)

Using imactivatekey option for IME users (was: VIM 7.1 compilation error)

Edward L. Fox

Hi Shawn Y. Kim,

(Cross posting to vim-multibyte)

On 8/4/07, Shawn Y. Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]>
> I did not know of that option either.
> But I highly doubt that it would work for me.
> Because what is inconvenient with using IM is that the IM is not
> automatically de-activated entering into normal mode from input mode.
> But, I appreciate you tipping me off with that option :-D

I think "imactivatekey" was just designed for solving such situation.
As you described in your previous post, you use S-space to toggle the
IME. So you could ":set imactivatekey=S-space", and then your IME
could be opened automatically when you enter insert mode or search
mode, and be closed automatically when you enter normal mode or
command mode. I just tried this feature and found that the IM *do*
"automatically de-activate entering into normal mode from input mode".

> Respectfully,
> Shawn Y. Kim.
> [...]

Regards,

Edward L. Fox

Re: Using imactivatekey option for IME users (was: VIM 7.1 compilation error)

Kim Shawn

Hello, Edward,

> I think "imactivatekey" was just designed for solving such situation.
> As you described in your previous post, you use S-space to toggle the
> IME. So you could ":set imactivatekey=S-space", and then your IME
> could be opened automatically when you enter insert mode or search
> mode, and be closed automatically when you enter normal mode or
> command mode. I just tried this feature and found that the IM *do*
> "automatically de-activate entering into normal mode from input mode".

Actually, back then when I was posting that comment,
only mac-vim was available for me :-(
So I didn't tried that option.
I'm trying it out on Monday, when I'm in my office :-)
If it really turns off IME, it sounds great, though!

Shawn.