Utf-8 in terminal.app

LuKreme
I use vim in terminal.app all the time, but I cannot seem to get the right combination of settings to be able to enter UTF-8 text. If I am trying to enter “ I will get a å<93> or something. Similar to that instead.

Terminal.app can display UTF-8 just fine, so I don't think it is terminal.app language setting that is the issue.

(This is not using vim via the GUI)

--
Sign sign sign, everywhere a sign

Re: Utf-8 in terminal.app

Tony Mechelynck
On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:15:33 AM UTC+1, LuKreme wrote:

> I use vim in terminal.app all the time, but I cannot seem to get the right combination of settings to be able to enter UTF-8 text. If I am trying to enter “ I will get a å<93> or something. Similar to that instead.
>

> Terminal.app can display UTF-8 just fine, so I don't think it is terminal.app language setting that is the issue.
>

> (This is not using vim via the GUI)
>

> --
>
> Sign sign sign, everywhere a sign

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode might help you.

"We don't do a new version to fix bugs." - Bill Gates
"The new version - it's not there to fix bugs." - Bill Gates
                -- Retranslated from Focus 43/1995, pp. 206-212

Re: Utf-8 in terminal.app

Kazunobu Kuriyama
On Nov 14, 2013, at 2:25 AM, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:15:33 AM UTC+1, LuKreme wrote:
>> I use vim in terminal.app all the time, but I cannot seem to get the right combination of settings to be able to enter UTF-8 text. If I am trying to enter “ I will get a å<93> or something. Similar to that instead.
>>

>> Terminal.app can display UTF-8 just fine, so I don't think it is terminal.app language setting that is the issue.
>>

>> (This is not using vim via the GUI)
>>

>> --
>>
>> Sign sign sign, everywhere a sign
>
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode might help you.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.
> --
> "We don't do a new version to fix bugs." - Bill Gates
> "The new version - it's not there to fix bugs." - Bill Gates
> -- Retranslated from Focus 43/1995, pp. 206-212

In addition to the suggestion above, you might need to open the tab, Terminal->Preferences...->Settings->Profiles (Choose the setting in use)->Advanced, and see if there’s a check mark at “Escape non-ASCII input with Control-V” or not.

If there’s a check mark there, it is likely to interfere with unicode input.  So, removing that check mark might be helpful to get it right.

Re: Utf-8 in terminal.app

LuKreme

On 13 Nov 2013, at 15:24 , Kazunobu Kuriyama <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition to the suggestion above, you might need to open the tab, Terminal->Preferences...->Settings->Profiles (Choose the setting in use)->Advanced, and see if there’s a check mark at “Escape non-ASCII input with Control-V” or not.
>
> If there’s a check mark there, it is likely to interfere with unicode input.  So, removing that check mark might be helpful to get it right.

Thank you, that was the problem (I already had set encoding=utf-8 and set fileencoding=utf-8 set in vimdc).

Double-width characters show up oddly, but at least they show up.

--
Rid yourself of doubt -- or should you? -George Carlin