VIM & Eclipse

Andrew Long-7
Some time back, there was some discussion over using VIM as the editor inside eclipse.
I can’t find it now, can someone point me at it, or what the resoluition was, please?
Regards, Amdy

--
Andrew Long
Andrew dot Long at Mac dot com

Re: VIM & Eclipse

Matthias Nunes
Eclim maybe?

echo 401783478332074664717674600527655690P | dc
On Nov 22 2018, at 2:58 pm, 'Andrew Long' via vim_use <[hidden email]> wrote:

Some time back, there was some discussion over using VIM as the editor inside eclipse.
I can’t find it now, can someone point me at it, or what the resoluition was, please?
Regards, Amdy

--
Andrew Long
Andrew dot Long at Mac dot com

Open Tracking

Re: VIM & Eclipse

Andrew Long-7

> On 22 Nov 2018, at 17:25, Matthias Nunes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Eclim maybe?
> http://eclim.org/

Thanks for the response. That brings back a memory indeed, so that must be the thing tht I considered before, although (for various reasons) I didn’t go ahead with it.
Personally, I’d be prepared to use it on my Mac system at home.
However, Eclipse is the standard editor in the company that I’m going to be working for in the new year, and the machine that I get supplied with is a Windows laptop, so Eclim is out of consideration. Also it’s ‘locked down’ and I won’t be able to install it locally - everything has to be loaded off a company server, so I’d have to be pretty convincing with the corporate IT guys to make any headway.
Must keep talking to them, I guess.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Regards, Andy

--
Andrew Long
Andrew dot Long at Mac dot com

Re: VIM & Eclipse

Ben Fritz
Why does Windows factor into your decision? Eclim works in Windows. The "install" just copies files into your vimfiles and eclipse plugin directories, so you may not need any help there.

You could get a "vimlike" experience by installing the vrapper plugin for eclipse, but it's not quite the same.

Re: VIM & Eclipse

lith
> You could get a "vimlike" experience by installing the vrapper plugin for eclipse, but it's not quite the same.

vrapper is quite ok actually. It also supports creating maps etc. I think it's worth a try. Once you decided that eclipse (or any other full fledged IDE) is the better tool for the problem at hand, you're probably better of with just using eclispe the way it is plus a light vim-mode plugin.

Re: VIM & Eclipse

Andrew Long-7

> On 24 Nov 2018, at 14:35, Ben Fritz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why does Windows factor into your decision? Eclim works in Windows. The "install" just copies files into your vimfiles and eclipse plugin directories, so you may not need any help there.
>
> You could get a "vimlike" experience by installing the vrapper plugin for eclipse, but it's not quite the same.

According to the ‘eclim’ web site, they’ve withdrawn support of it on Windows; only supported on Linux & OSX.
I’ll have a look at vrapper.
Thanks.
Regards, Andy

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 7:52:53 AM UTC-6, Andrew Long wrote:
> > On 24 Nov 2018, at 14:35, Ben Fritz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Why does Windows factor into your decision? Eclim works in Windows. The "install" just copies files into your vimfiles and eclipse plugin directories, so you may not need any help there.
> >

> According to the ‘eclim’ web site, they’ve withdrawn support of it on Windows; only supported on Linux & OSX.

Oh wow, ok. For about 11 months now, even. I guess I haven't checked on eclim in a while. It *was* working for me in Windows, back when it was supported. But I haven't tried updating in a long time. :-)