VIM and Leopard

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

VIM and Leopard

Krzysztof Maj
Hi,
anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works  
okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

All the best,
--
Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?



smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Tony Mechelynck

Krzysztof Maj wrote:
> Hi,
> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
>
> All the best,

What is Leopard? Some OS, apparently; but for people who, like me, don't
remember ever having heard the name, it's hard to tell whether it relates to
Windows, Linux (and which distro?), MacOS, VMS, whatever. For some of these I
could put you on the right track, for others some other people could, but if
we're in the dark it's harder to formulate "sensible" help.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Millihelen, adj:
        The amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

David Morel-2


Le 30 oct. 07 à 23:54, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :

>
> Krzysztof Maj wrote:
>> Hi,
>> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
>> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
>>
>> All the best,

7.1 works fine for me, just 1 minor glitch: mouse scroll works only  
after you
click. But I didn't check on latest svn, and my version is probably a  
bit out
dated (but who uses a mouse with vim?). I noticed text displays  
better, although
I don't know why that would be... To sum it up, no real problem here.

>>
>
> What is Leopard? Some OS, apparently; but for people who, like me,  
> don't
> remember ever having heard the name, it's hard to tell whether it  
> relates to
> Windows, Linux (and which distro?), MacOS, VMS, whatever. For some  
> of these I
> could put you on the right track, for others some other people  
> could, but if
> we're in the dark it's harder to formulate "sensible" help.


Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of  
Windows Vista ?
Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the  
correct name
btw ;-)

David Morel




--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Tony Mechelynck

David Morel wrote:

>
> Le 30 oct. 07 à 23:54, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :
>
>> Krzysztof Maj wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
>>> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
>>>
>>> All the best,
>
> 7.1 works fine for me, just 1 minor glitch: mouse scroll works only  
> after you
> click. But I didn't check on latest svn, and my version is probably a  
> bit out
> dated (but who uses a mouse with vim?). I noticed text displays  
> better, although
> I don't know why that would be... To sum it up, no real problem here.
>
>> What is Leopard? Some OS, apparently; but for people who, like me,  
>> don't
>> remember ever having heard the name, it's hard to tell whether it  
>> relates to
>> Windows, Linux (and which distro?), MacOS, VMS, whatever. For some  
>> of these I
>> could put you on the right track, for others some other people  
>> could, but if
>> we're in the dark it's harder to formulate "sensible" help.
>
>
> Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of  
> Windows Vista ?
> Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the  
> correct name
> btw ;-)
>
> David Morel

It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.

About Vista, I've heard the name often enough to have learnt that it's the
latest Windows OS, sorry, you're a purist aren't you? "the latest Microsoft®
Windows® OS (Vista is a trademark, and Microsoft® and Windows® are registered
trademarks, of the Microsoft Corporation)". I'm hazy about what differences
there are between it and the previous ones though.

And yes, purists say that Linux is only the kernel, and that the OS should be
called GNU/Linux, but then there is a lot of software on my current system
which is neither from Torvalds nor from GNU, so should I call my system
Linux/GNU/SuSE/Xorg/KDE/Vim/Mozilla/Adobe/OOo/etc.? Even if some parts of
those are not essential to the "operating system" function, I should then say,
at a minimum, that I'm using SuSE's version of a KDE/Xorg/GNU/Linux operating
system, which would be an unwieldy, if "correct", name. When I mention Linux,
people understand, even if it isn't what purists would call it.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
"For an adequate time call 555-3321"

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Tim Stebbing
when I type 'leopard' into google I get 'Apple - Mac OS X Leopard' as
the first hit, leopard is the new release of OSX, as this channel was
very recently the macvim channel (bram merged us across, some people
might not have picked up on this yet) I can see why he figured
everyone would know what leopard was. Google takes 5 sec to answer
your question, this thread has already wasted everyones time.

On 10/31/07, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> David Morel wrote:
> >
> > Le 30 oct. 07 � 23:54, Tony Mechelynck a �crit :
> >
> >> Krzysztof Maj wrote:
> >>> Hi,
> >>> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
> >>> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
> >>>
> >>> All the best,
> >
> > 7.1 works fine for me, just 1 minor glitch: mouse scroll works only
> > after you
> > click. But I didn't check on latest svn, and my version is probably a
> > bit out
> > dated (but who uses a mouse with vim?). I noticed text displays
> > better, although
> > I don't know why that would be... To sum it up, no real problem here.
> >
> >> What is Leopard? Some OS, apparently; but for people who, like me,
> >> don't
> >> remember ever having heard the name, it's hard to tell whether it
> >> relates to
> >> Windows, Linux (and which distro?), MacOS, VMS, whatever. For some
> >> of these I
> >> could put you on the right track, for others some other people
> >> could, but if
> >> we're in the dark it's harder to formulate "sensible" help.
> >
> >
> > Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
> > Windows Vista ?
> > Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
> > correct name
> > btw ;-)
> >
> > David Morel
>
> It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
> Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.
>
> About Vista, I've heard the name often enough to have learnt that it's the
> latest Windows OS, sorry, you're a purist aren't you? "the latest Microsoft(R)
> Windows(R) OS (Vista is a trademark, and Microsoft(R) and Windows(R) are registered
> trademarks, of the Microsoft Corporation)". I'm hazy about what differences
> there are between it and the previous ones though.
>
> And yes, purists say that Linux is only the kernel, and that the OS should be
> called GNU/Linux, but then there is a lot of software on my current system
> which is neither from Torvalds nor from GNU, so should I call my system
> Linux/GNU/SuSE/Xorg/KDE/Vim/Mozilla/Adobe/OOo/etc.? Even if some parts of
> those are not essential to the "operating system" function, I should then say,
> at a minimum, that I'm using SuSE's version of a KDE/Xorg/GNU/Linux operating
> system, which would be an unwieldy, if "correct", name. When I mention Linux,
> people understand, even if it isn't what purists would call it.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.
> --
> "For an adequate time call 555-3321"
>
> >
>


--
Timothy J Stebbing

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Tony Mechelynck

Tim Stebbing wrote:
> when I type 'leopard' into google I get 'Apple - Mac OS X Leopard' as
> the first hit, leopard is the new release of OSX, as this channel was
> very recently the macvim channel (bram merged us across, some people
> might not have picked up on this yet) I can see why he figured
> everyone would know what leopard was. Google takes 5 sec to answer
> your question, this thread has already wasted everyones time.

Thanks for a responsive answer, at last.

As for merging vim-mac and vim-multibyte, I didn't know; it wasn't announced
at vim-multibyte, and this group still bears the name vim_multibyte (not
vim_mac), as anyone could see by just looking at his mail headers.

I happen to be on Linux (formerly on Windows) and to have an interest in
multibyte encodings such as UTF-8. I was even asked, some years ago, to write
the chapter of the Vim FAQ concerning Unicode. OTOH I never had a Mac and I
have only extremely spotty confining to nonexistent notions of anything which
concerns the Mac. I think this explains why I was subscribed to vim-multibyte
but not to vim-mac, as long as these lists were distinct.

Sorry for wasting your time.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
"The last time somebody said, `I find I can write much better with a
word processor.', I replied, `They used to say the same thing about
drugs.'
                -- Roy Blount, Jr.


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Tim Stebbing

I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

On 10/31/07, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Tim Stebbing wrote:
> > when I type 'leopard' into google I get 'Apple - Mac OS X Leopard' as
> > the first hit, leopard is the new release of OSX, as this channel was
> > very recently the macvim channel (bram merged us across, some people
> > might not have picked up on this yet) I can see why he figured
> > everyone would know what leopard was. Google takes 5 sec to answer
> > your question, this thread has already wasted everyones time.
>
> Thanks for a responsive answer, at last.
>
> As for merging vim-mac and vim-multibyte, I didn't know; it wasn't announced
> at vim-multibyte, and this group still bears the name vim_multibyte (not
> vim_mac), as anyone could see by just looking at his mail headers.
>
> I happen to be on Linux (formerly on Windows) and to have an interest in
> multibyte encodings such as UTF-8. I was even asked, some years ago, to write
> the chapter of the Vim FAQ concerning Unicode. OTOH I never had a Mac and I
> have only extremely spotty confining to nonexistent notions of anything which
> concerns the Mac. I think this explains why I was subscribed to vim-multibyte
> but not to vim-mac, as long as these lists were distinct.
>
> Sorry for wasting your time.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.
> --
> "The last time somebody said, `I find I can write much better with a
> word processor.', I replied, `They used to say the same thing about
> drugs.'
>                 -- Roy Blount, Jr.
>
>
> >
>


--
Timothy J Stebbing

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Tony Mechelynck

Tim Stebbing wrote:
> I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

So do I. They don't seem (to me) to have much in common. If there was a reason
for discontinuing vim-mac, I would have expected it to be taken over by
vim-dev; or if vim-multibyte, by vim-use.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
101. U can read htis w/o ny porblm and cant figur eout Y its evn listd.


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Nico Weber-3
In reply to this post by Tim Stebbing

Hi,

> I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

there's still a pretty active vim_mac list. Do you mean the people  
who were on vim-mac before the switch to googlegroups were added to  
vim-multibyte? I was in both of these lists and still am.

Nico



--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

krbeesley
In reply to this post by Tony Mechelynck


On 30 Oct 2007, at 18:10, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>
>>
>> Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
>> Windows Vista ?
>> Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
>> correct name
>> btw ;-)
>>
>> David Morel
>
> It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
> Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.

"Leopard" is the code name of the new Apple OS X version 10.5, which  
came out
Friday 26 November.

So we Mac people are busily testing what does and does not work in  
Leopard.

Ken


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

jose neta
In reply to this post by Krzysztof Maj

Hi,
anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

Compilation!

You just have to type on your shell: 

$ vim --version

And the result is:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Oct  5 2007 20:00:43)
Included patches: 234
Compiled by [hidden email]
Normal version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
-arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent 
-clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments 
+cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic 
-emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path 
+folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
 -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu 
+mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm 
-mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme 
-netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile 
-python +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent 
-sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static 
-tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar 
+user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace 
+wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp 
-xterm_clipboard -xterm_save 
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -Os -pipe -mdynamic-no-pic -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe        
Linking: 
gcc   -arch i386 -arch ppc             -o vim       -lncurses  -liconv 

Anything wrong. BTW you can now work with tabs (APPLE + T) on your terminal. 

Be good and go for it. Install Leopard. It's the best (cover flow, quick view ect . . . )

José

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Nico Weber-3

> Compilation!

If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim  
( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.  
I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

Nico


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Joseph Retzer-2
Thanks Nico. Just to note, I'm using the current snapshot of MacVim on Leopard and have had no issues running from toolbar/applications. Also no problems running from terminal.
Joe

Nico Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Compilation!

If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

Nico




--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

David Morel-2
In reply to this post by Nico Weber-3


Le 31 oct. 07 à 22:35, Nico Weber a écrit :

>
>> Compilation!
>
> If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
> ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
> I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.
>

Both macvim and vim-cocoa work with Leopard, still I met issues
especially regarding key mappings etc.
For me, the best version is still the Carbon one, and this one is
especially handy:
http://slashpunt.org/vim/index.php?n=Main.Download


> Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

Same. How do you move a whole thread from one ml to another ?
Only kidding...

David Morel




--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

theno23
In reply to this post by Krzysztof Maj

On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

I'm having problems,

I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:

/* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */

and that seems to have stopped working.

I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.

- Steve


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VIM and Leopard

Tony Mechelynck

theno23 wrote:

> On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
>> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
>
> I'm having problems,
>
> I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:
>
> /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */
>
> and that seems to have stopped working.
>
> I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
> fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
> a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.
>
> - Steve

Here's how to check it: Make the file with that line active, then type

        :verbose set modeline? modelines? expandtab? sts? sw?

Vim should tell you the current values and where they were set.

See
        :help modeline
        :help 'modeline'
        :help 'modelines'

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!"
                -- Daniel Hinojosa


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---