VIM and Perl

Ruben Safir
I need to fix the dependency of VIM on perl without upgrading or
changing Perl

vim: error while loading shared libraries: libperl.so: cannot open

Can I do this without recompiling vim?

Reuvain

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive
http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: VIM and Perl

arocker
> I need to fix the dependency of VIM on perl without upgrading or
> changing Perl
>
> vim: error while loading shared libraries: libperl.so: cannot open

It sounds as though either something has deleted the object file, or a
path setting to find it.

On my system, the following found it:
$ find / -name libperl.so 2> /dev/null
/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE/libperl.so

If that query returns nothing, presumably the object's been deleted by
someone. If it's found, it's a path issue that needs investigation.

That's not a solution, but a starting point.

Re: VIM and Perl

Ruben Safir
On 9/17/20 11:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> It sounds as though either something has deleted the object file, or a
> path setting to find it.

nothing like that.  It is just needs the dependency removed.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive
http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: VIM and Perl

Christian Brabandt

On Do, 17 Sep 2020, Ruben Safir wrote:

> I need to fix the dependency of VIM on perl without upgrading or
> changing Perl
>
> vim: error while loading shared libraries: libperl.so: cannot open
>
> Can I do this without recompiling vim?

What Vim version have you installed? Is this a self-compiled version or
a distribution?  If you do not have libperl.so on your system, try
installing a package that contains libperl.so, on Debian, I believe this
would be libperl-dev

If you do have it, try to set the 'perldll' option to that libperl.so

Best,
Christian
--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
  Jane Eswetter

Re: VIM and Perl

Matt Connell
On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 10:44 -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> I need to fix the dependency of VIM on perl without upgrading or
> changing Perl

If the version of vim you're using was compiled with dynamic links to
perl libraries (it was), then that vim binary requires perl libraries
to run.  You'll either need to provide those libraries or build a vim
binary that is not linked in such a way.

> Can I do this without recompiling vim?

No.

If you are willing and able to recompile vim, it can be built without
depending on perl.  Some systems (Gentoo Portage) make this easy to do,
but if you're using a binary-based distribution, you'll need to set up
a build tool chain and do some manual work to build the program in such
a way as to eliminate this dependency.

Re: VIM and Perl

Ruben Safir
On 9/17/20 11:18 AM, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Do, 17 Sep 2020, Ruben Safir wrote:
>
>> I need to fix the dependency of VIM on perl without upgrading or
>> changing Perl
>>
>> vim: error while loading shared libraries: libperl.so: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> Can I do this without recompiling vim?
>
> What Vim version have you installed? Is this a self-compiled version or
> a distribution?  If you do not have libperl.so on your system, try
> installing a package that contains libperl.so, on Debian, I believe this
> would be libperl-dev

thanx

however, we are no touching or installing perl

> If you do have it, try to set the 'perldll' option to that libperl.so

gvim-8.2.0814-3 on arch linux (actuallt artix)

[ruben@www3 ~]$ sudo pacman -S gvim
warning: gvim-8.2.0814-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) gvim-8.2.0814-3

Thank You again

On 9/17/20 11:23 AM, Matt Connell wrote:
>> Can I do this without recompiling vim?
> No.
>
> If you are willing and able to recompile vim, it can be built without
> depending on perl.  Some systems (Gentoo Portage) make this easy to do,
> but if you're using a binary-based distribution, you'll need to set up
> a build tool chain and do some manual work to build the program in such
> a way as to eliminate this dependency.

I can do it.  I used to do it all the time.  I was justing thinking I
could avoid doing so by making a change in vimrc

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive
http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: VIM and Perl

Ruben Safir
On 9/17/20 11:23 AM, Matt Connell wrote:
> If you are willing and able to recompile vim, it can be built without
> depending on perl.
I have one question, if you don't mind me indulging.  Why would vim need
perl built in as a dependency.  Its not like, as far as I know, vim uses
perl.

On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 11:46 -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> I can do it.  I used to do it all the time.

This is the right solution, then.  I wish I could give you more direct
advice for how to remove the dependency, but I've been spoiled by
Portage: a simple config file change is all that's needed in that
system.  Since you mentioned Artix, hopefully pacman's pkgbuild system
is equally as easy/straightforward.

> Why would vim need perl built in as a dependency.

I don't know, off-hand.  Some searching didn't turn up a definitive
result either.  It is an optional dependency, but the dependency is
build-time, not run-time, so I'm assuming it is used for some features
that are enabled by the vim package from the distribution.  Most
systems will have packages depending on perl, so the package
maintainers think "the average vim user will have perl installed
anyway, so why not enable those optional features?"

BPJ

Re: VIM and Perl

BPJ
Den tors 17 sep. 2020 17:53Ruben Safir <[hidden email]> skrev:
On 9/17/20 11:23 AM, Matt Connell wrote:
> If you are willing and able to recompile vim, it can be built without
> depending on perl.
I have one question, if you don't mind me indulging.  Why would vim need
perl built in as a dependency.  Its not like, as far as I know, vim uses
perl.

:h if_perl

Not the best API in the world but it works! :-/

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

On 9/17/20 12:06 PM, Matt Connell wrote:
> Most
> systems will have packages depending on perl, so the package
> maintainers think "the average vim user will have perl installed
> anyway, so why not enable those optional features?"

the answer to that is mod_perl