VJDE with Vim 6.3 on Windows

Bouckaert, Hugo
Hi

I would like to install VJDE with VIM 6.3 on Windows XP, but I can't
find any installation instructions. (I looked in the unpacked VJDE
directory and extensively on the web but could not find anything.)

Would someone who has installed VJDE with Vim 6.3 on a Windows machine
be able to help? I am particularly interested in:

- How do you point the VDJE plugin(s) to your JDK and the JavaDoc as
surely it has to know those in order to enable popup balloons for
methods of a class?

- What VJDE functions are available and is there a standard way of
mapping keys?

- Where do the various VJDE subdirectories go and how are they sourced
from the _vimrc file? When I unpack VJDE from
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1213 I get the following
subdirectories (arrows point to further subdirs) :

Compiler
doc
plugin -> vjde -> tlds
scr -> vjde -> completion
syntax

Do you simply put everything under the standard plugin directory? There
are instructions about this for Linux, but not for Windows.

I could only find VJDE for VIM 7.0. Will it work with VIM 6.3 and if
not, where can I find VJDE for VIM 6.3?

Is there anything else one has to do to get this working?

Your advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hugo

Hugo Bouckaert
Oracle Analyst / Programmer
Two's Complement Computing
This email and any attachments may be confidential or legally
privileged. If you received this message in error or are not the
intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any
attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining,
distributing, disclosing or using any information contained herein.
Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you
for your cooperation.

Re: VJDE with Vim 6.3 on Windows

A.J.Mechelynck
> I would like to install VJDE with VIM 6.3 on Windows XP, but I can't
> find any installation instructions. (I looked in the unpacked VJDE
> directory and extensively on the web but could not find anything.)
>
> Would someone who has installed VJDE with Vim 6.3 on a Windows machine
> be able to help? I am particularly interested in:
>
> - How do you point the VDJE plugin(s) to your JDK and the JavaDoc as
> surely it has to know those in order to enable popup balloons for
> methods of a class?
>
> - What VJDE functions are available and is there a standard way of
> mapping keys?
>
> - Where do the various VJDE subdirectories go and how are they sourced
> from the _vimrc file? When I unpack VJDE from
> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1213 I get the following
> subdirectories (arrows point to further subdirs) :
>
> Compiler
> doc
> plugin -> vjde -> tlds
> scr -> vjde -> completion
> syntax
>
> Do you simply put everything under the standard plugin directory? There
> are instructions about this for Linux, but not for Windows.

From the directory names, it sounds like you could unpack this archive to
the $VIM/vimfiles directory (if you have file-creation rights to it) or to
$HOME/vimfiles (otherwise, on Windows) or $HOME/.vim (on Unix, if you can't
create files in $VIM/vimfiles). Don't forget to replace $VIM or $HOME by
their value. $VIM on Windows is typically something like C:\Program
Files\vim -- to make sure of it, use ":echo $VIM" (without the quotes) from
within Vim. Unlike $VIMRUNTIME, it ought to contain no version-dependent
element.

> I could only find VJDE for VIM 7.0. Will it work with VIM 6.3 and if
> not, where can I find VJDE for VIM 6.3?

If it is advertised as "for Vim 7", it may contain Vim-7-specific commands;
in that case it won't work with Vim 6, or it may work in some cases and not
in others. You may try it (just in case it'd be compatible) but nothing is
guaranteed: you're on your own. If it doesn't work with Vim 6, you have two
choices: install Vim 7 (you can get a Vim 7 for Windows from my Vim page at
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/#vim7 ; it is possible to install
it side-by-side with Vim 6, see
http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=848 ), or google the web for
"VJDE".