VO as an authoring environment

12

Re: Re: Re: VO as an authoring environment

Matej Cepl-2
Noel Henson wrote:
> Greesemonkey, huh? I'll have to check that out.

http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

IMHO it is the first real improvement in the user design of web-browsers
since Mosaic was introduced :-).

Matej

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
Therefore, a man without a woman is like a bicycle without
a fish.

Re: Re: Re: Re: VO as an authoring environment

Noel Henson
On Friday 04 November 2005 06:55 am, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Noel Henson wrote:
> > Greesemonkey, huh? I'll have to check that out.
>
> http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
>
> IMHO it is the first real improvement in the user design of web-browsers
> since Mosaic was introduced :-).
>
> Matej

Hmmm. Now that /is/ interesting. That will keep me busy this weekend. :)

Noel

Noel Henson wrote:
> Hmmm. Now that /is/ interesting. That will keep me busy this weekend. :)

Just to explain the relationship between Peoplesoft and Greasemonkey --PS is
obviously built with IE on mind, so all fonts are specified in px or
whatever units which make it unbearably small on my Firefox (yes, I have
correctly set DPI for my screen!). What to do about that? Increase size of
fonts? Well, then I would be everywhere else huge fonts. Try to fiddle with
user CSS stylesheets? Well, PS stylesheet is some 100k long (and it's ugly
as hell) and I am afraid they are playing with styles via DOM and
Javascript. Attached you will find a small Greasemonkey script, which is
activated just for our hosting site. Doesn't work perfectly, but it works
well enough for me to make me ecstatic (remember "Worse is better"? I think
that even more than for Unix-Lisp controversy it is actually about
difference between scripts and real programs).

Did we ever talk about what is off-topic on this list? :-)

Best,

Matěj

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of
thinking.

psincreasefont.user.js (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VO as an authoring environment

Noel Henson
On Saturday 05 November 2005 09:19 am, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Noel Henson wrote:
> > Hmmm. Now that /is/ interesting. That will keep me busy this weekend.
> > :)
>
> Just to explain the relationship between Peoplesoft and Greasemonkey
> --PS is obviously built with IE on mind, so all fonts are specified in
> px or whatever units which make it unbearably small on my Firefox (yes,
> I have correctly set DPI for my screen!). What to do about that?
> Increase size of fonts? Well, then I would be everywhere else huge
> fonts. Try to fiddle with user CSS stylesheets? Well, PS stylesheet is
> some 100k long (and it's ugly as hell) and I am afraid they are playing
> with styles via DOM and Javascript. Attached you will find a small
> Greasemonkey script, which is activated just for our hosting site.
> Doesn't work perfectly, but it works well enough for me to make me
> ecstatic (remember "Worse is better"? I think that even more than for
> Unix-Lisp controversy it is actually about difference between scripts
> and real programs).

I see now. Greasemonkey is pretty cool. I don't have an need for it yet but
I'm going to continue to play with it. Thanks for the script to get me
started.

> Did we ever talk about what is off-topic on this list? :-)

I don't think we have. We haven't had a problem with it yet. I don't think
this is too far OT because part of what VO and the VO list is about is
/productivity/.

Noel

Noel Henson wrote:
> I see now. Greasemonkey is pretty cool. I don't have an need for it yet
> but I'm going to continue to play with it. Thanks for the script to get me
> started.

You can get much more of already created scripts (BTW, documentation is on
http://diveintogreasemonkey.org by Mark Pilgrim). So, for example install
the first two ones attached and then search book on Amazon.com. Or install
the third and fourth ones and search for something on search.yahoo.com (the
results are improved).

> I don't think we have. We haven't had a problem with it yet. I don't think
> this is too far OT because part of what VO and the VO list is about is
> /productivity/.

I was just kidding! :-) I think that this list is so small, then unless we
get into politics or whether Jesus is the Son of God, we can discuss
basically anything (IMHO) at least somehow interesting to all participants
of this list. Which reminds me :-), Steve, did you tell us how you survived
joys of the hurricane Wilma?

Best,

Matěj

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

[...] an old man recently told me "Son, I've learned something
new every day of my life, and I'm getting damn tired of it."

bookburroremixingthebook.user.js (16K) Download Attachment
bostonpubliclibrary.user.js (3K) Download Attachment
searchusenetfromyahoo.user.js (1K) Download Attachment
yahooredirectremover.user.js (2K) Download Attachment
12